1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using A 2nd Wireless Router As A WiFi Booster

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by darklord7, Oct 21, 2007.

1. darklord7

darklord7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have just signed up to BT Broandband and have received their HomeHub as my new wireless router, which means I no longer need my Netgear DG834G router. However, can I use the Netgear as a wireless booster in another room so as to increase my signal strength in the house? I would be able to plug the Netgear into a power source, but I wouldn't be able to to connect it to another phone line. Would this work? And if so, how do I do it?

Thanks
  2. t72bogie

t72bogie Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    ive never played with a Homehub, but if it supports WDS bridging then yes you can - the latest DG834G firmware does, you set them up in repeater mode (look under advanced wireless settings or such like) then position the DG834G so it gets a good signal in another room and it will repeat the signal - in the advanced settings put it into repeater mode with client association and input the MAC address, SSID and passphrase from your home hub, on the home hub put it in repeater mode too
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Having set up the Netgear box in repeater mode and switched of DHCP in it. On the Home Hub go to 192.168.1.254. Go to advanced and logon as admin, Password admin. You will see on the left the word repeater go there and check the box to switch it on. Select apply and then Scan for wireless access points.
  4. Corrie

Corrie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my internet connection is via a BT2700HGV (the small business version of home hub) which also gives a wireless signal. I want to extend the signal, does anyone know if I can use a spare BT Homehub as a wifi booster ?