1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Flash Drive - Why won't you work !!

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by London Town, Mar 26, 2007.

1. London Town

London Town Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I am getting really annoyed now, have a 128mb usb memory stick, works fine in my PC, it's formatted to FAT32, so why the devil will the PS3 not recognise it ??

I have a USB card reader which works fine, USB wireless mouse, also works perfect....

The only thing I can think of is that its a couple of years old....does anyone have any ideas ??

I have just ordered a new 4GB one, and am now concerned i've wasted money and should have just bought an SD card !!

Dave
  2. jogon

jogon Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Have you pressed triangle whilst on the USB device in menu?
  3. GasAttacK

GasAttacK Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered an 8GB USB Flash Drive and will be equally annoyed if it doesn't work.

Can anyone explain how to use them with the PS3?

For example, if I download the 1.6 update onto my PC can I transfer it to the PS3 using the flash drive and if so how?
  4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,339
    You create a folder on the flash drive called 'PS3' and then another folder instead that called 'UPDATE'

Then you put the 1.6 update file in the the update folder, plug it into your PS3, go to the System Update option and select External Drive as the source for the file.
  5. GasAttacK

GasAttacK Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, sounds relatively straight forward; hopefully that will prove to be the case.
  6. harrisuk

harrisuk Member

Ratings:
    +60
    I want to get an 8gb drive as well. Will these work on the ps3 ? I just checked my cheapo 4gb drive and it works perfectly. The picture viewer is brilliant very good quality.

What sort of video files can you playback on the ps3 ? Is it mp4 ?
  7. Cotti

Cotti Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah it is :) Im thinking of getting a large external hard drive and putting all DVDs on it so I can Shove them in the loft (already done my cd's).
  8. London Town

London Town Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Can't, it doesn't even show as a USB device !!
  9. mojoe

mojoe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i plugged my 4gb pen drive in at the weekend there and the ps3 regonised it fine, i could view all the files on the stick. I actually downloaded live messenger 8.1 from the ps3 internet and it saved it onto my pen drive.
  10. FATFINGERS73

FATFINGERS73 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I think you have to turn the PS3 on with the flash drive plugged in, that's what I have to do with my external HDD.
  11. London Town

London Town Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I'll try that, but according to the instructions any USB device can be plugged in while the machines on....