Urgent! Need help to decide! Epson 3200 or JVC HD350?

Phil.LFC

Established Member
Reaction score
(The reason I put "Urgent" in the title is because if I want the JVC I'll have to buy it tomorrow I reckon - see below, Richer Sounds)

Now I know you've probably read the title of my thread and thought these two models are not direct competitors, which they probably aren't as one is £800 more.

I have seen the Epson in action, courtesy of KBFern on this forum, an excellent demo it was too, thanks Keith. I was really impressed by the Epson compared to the Optoma HD20, primarily because I suffered badly from the rainbow effect on the HD20. I left Keith's 99% sure I was going to purchase the Epson.

Today I just happened to read through the whole 18 pages of the 3200/3600 Owners Thread, now there is a slight doubt in my mind due to the "red tinge" problem that some owners have suffered. I discussed all my options with Keith and we both agreed that the JVC would obviously be a "step up" from the Epson. Although £800 is a significant amount, my budget is rather flexible, depending on what I spend on furniture, speakers, amp etc. I do not want to regret not getting the best I can reasonably afford, but at the same time £800 buys a decent AV Amp for example.

On the plus side for the JVC, I like the fact that it is obviously a better PJ, and that it is a bargain at £1800, and also that I could get hold of one tomorrow from Richer Sounds. (I have found a couple of stores that have some stock!). I also like the fact that it is black, as I intend to make my new Home Cinema room as PJ friendly as possible, which means the walls and ceiling will be dark.
On the minus side, I have not seen the JVC in action, and I am unlikely to due to it's very limited availability, so I'd be buying "blind". I'm also a little concerned that the warranty is possibly only 12 months, although RS told me today that they are an Authorised JVC dealer so the warranty would be "whatever JVC do"? Not sure about that though. The Epson warranty is appealing - 3 years + 1 bulb replacement.

I am not interested in 3D at the moment either. This will be my fist PJ so I will be more than happy with 2D and I am hoping that this purchase will keep me going for about 3 years. Then I may consider upgrading to 3D, depending on what has happened to the technology by then. For now, 2D in HD will do nicely thank you!

I am seriously edging towards the JVC, but if I could just get a few replies on here then maybe my mind would definitely be made up!

To sum up, what I am really asking is this:-

Is the JVC HD350 worth the extra £800 over the Epson 3200?

Advice/opinions greatly appreciated :)

Phil

B****y hell mate, I know I put "Urgent" but that was one hell of a quick reply!!!

Thanks for that Kelvin :smashin:

1-0 to JVC after only 2 mins!

Even SWMBO thinks I should go for the JVC now, but she's just had a couple of glasses of wine! Maybe I should pour her some more, I might end up with some better speakers and Amp too:rotfl:

Give her the whole bottle and then you might the dedicated room that it really needs. :smashin:

PS. Just happened to log on and saw it as the top post...I had a feeling someone might need pushing in the JVC direction tonight. :)

As long as you don't leave yourself short on a sound system you've gotta think its JVC all the way - never seen one myself but from what you read its great, especially now at £1800. You can alway buy used on your sound system and AV amps have got to be the most hard hit by depreciation - they seem to drop their price by up to 50% in a year, 75-80% drop in 2-3 years in extreme cases...

If you have the money, always buy the better model. Otherwise you won't be able to stop yourself from thinking "but how much better would the other one have been...?" down the line.

Jmog,
Thanks for that, Keith said exactly the same thing. I know you have the Epson and rave about it, so I appreciate your opinion/honesty. You could easily have told me to go for the Epson, as a lot of people always believe, rightly or wrongly, that their equipment is the best.
Keith has the Epson too, but he also thinks I should probably go for the JVC. At least I'm now confident that I'm going to end up with a great PJ, whichever one I choose, as they both have their merits.

Cheers, Phil

I can support the 3200 being a lovely PJ as I just bought one, but you've seen it in action so you know that. However, as a more expensive machine, the JVC will obviously give a better picture overall, and the machine is known to be accomplished. Therefore, I recommend that you go for the JVC if you'd like to make this a once off purchase, rather than buy, then decide to upgrade a year down the line, but please dont skimp on the amp!!!!!

If the JVC will eat in to the funds for an amp, I recommend you buy the amp on a 12 month interest free plan or similar. Whilst the technology leaps mean that current tech can be had for half the price next year etc, you still dont get the quality of amplification and durability until you start spending at least £800, although personally I'd say its best to look at ones around £1,000 (or just over) if you'd like to buy one that will last you a long time.

Whilst technology will leap forward, you can work around that, for example my Denon 3803 doesnt have HDMI inputs, so I just use a HDMI Matrix for switching HDMI and use 8 channel analogue for the HD Audio. My AV Amp is around 8 years old now (i think, memorys going...lol) and still works perfectly, belting out the movies with aplomb. It can happily power my speakers to their limits and even makes a good showing in the stereo department, although obviously nothing more than a £300 stereo amp.

Go for the better PJ if you want the best picture you can get now, but please dont skimp on the amp! (go second hand if you like, but for me, when it was my first foray in to proper cost home cinema, I just had to go brand new so I knew it was mine, only mine, and fully guaranteed...lol)

JVC hands down. if its about budget and value, the Epson.

Thanks all.

JVC 5 - 0 Epson, Full Time :)

JVC it is then. I am going to take the plunge and phone Richers now. I 've got a Nationwide Credit Card which offers an extra 12 months warranty on electrical items purchased with the card over £50, so I'll have 2 years at least, maybe the full 3 depending on what RS/JVC decide.

I

Whilst technology will leap forward, you can work around that, for example my Denon 3803 doesnt have HDMI inputs, so I just use a HDMI Matrix for switching HDMI and use 8 channel analogue for the HD Audio. My AV Amp is around 8 years old now (i think, memorys going...lol) and still works perfectly, belting out the movies with aplomb. It can happily power my speakers to their limits and even makes a good showing in the stereo department, although obviously nothing more than a £300 stereo amp.

QUOTE]

Just to chip in again, I've got the Denon 3802 as part of a twin amp set up and will agree that these amps can deliver very well despite their age - I too use analogue outs on my blu-ray player for HD audio and its fantastic. The fact that I picked up my 3802 for £60 2nd hand compared to when it was released it cost in the region of £1k illlustrates the savings that can be made by buying used - it would certainly kick the ass off any of the current receivers in the sub £400 category:thumbsup:

This is spooky... I just logged on and this post is the top one in the PJ section again. I'm not stalking you really. :D Hope you enjoy the HD350 when it arrives. :smashin:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: congrats now for the amp and speakers.:D

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom