Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upscaling what does it mean??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by gtimadman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. gtimadman

gtimadman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    does it mean it takes a normal dvbd and tries to emulate it to look like blueray or does it mean that it takes a 780 blueray and makes it look like 1080p?

Cheers from

Andy at confused .com
  2. blumonkey

blumonkey Member

Ratings:
    +41
    the first one I think.
  3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick Active Member

Ratings:
    +800
    The video format for DVD is typically 576 x 720 interlaced.
    Blu-ray is usually 1920 x 1080 progressive.

Upscaling means firstly de-interlacing the interlaced video to progressive, then scaling from standard definition to high definition. These are complex mathematical processes, and are never perfect.

They will never get high definition video from standard definition, nomatter what any salesman may say.

Nick
  4. gtimadman

gtimadman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    cheers so its a kind of converter inbuilt into the blu ray player to make normal definition dvds to become bluray i.e high def ,so i assume no substitute for the proper thing i.e blueray disc but better than throwing your old colection away?
  5. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    Bear in mind that if you have a digital display it will typically scale images to fit its native resolution i.e. fill the screen. If the displays native res is 1920x1080 it will "upscale" PAL DVD from 576x720 to that resolution in a similar fashion to an upscaling player. What does the better job of upscaling will depend on the products.

AVI
  6. gtimadman

gtimadman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry should state i have a sony kdl37w5500 37" and am after a blueray player for it so was looking at the sony bdp-s360 for £80 at the moment and wondered if it was any good???? when i saw it mention this upscaling
  7. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The Sony S360 has had some very good reviews, especially considering its price point. It is a fine choice for that money.

A good way to explain about "upscaling" is this...

Imagine you have a small picture that you want to use on your monitor as wallpaper but that you want it to fill the screen. You tell your computer to "stretch to fit" and the picture is increased in size to fill the screen. It will definitely look a little stretched as the computer cannot invent any detail that was not there in the small original. There are ways to "improve" the stretching process by guessing where edges in the original are and trying to favour them in the stretching.

This is what happens when you put a DVD into a Blu Ray player. The player runs its "stretch to fit" routines on it and outputs the film at your television's preferred resolution. Some players have better routines to do this than others, but all should do it well enough for the average viewer.

When you put a genuine Blu Ray HD film into your player, it is already stored on the disk in high definition (usually 1080p these days) so will be sent straight to your screen without any scaling at all. It should, therefore, look nice and crispy as intended by the producer.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Longy00000

Longy00000 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    well done danielcoffey a very good and easy to understand explanation to another new member.
  9. gtimadman

gtimadman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow cheers for that nice explanation should be made a sticky:smashin: