1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upscaling DVD players vs progressive scan - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by whitenoise, Jul 2, 2007.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on resolutions and upscaling - since I'm confused! At the moment I am currently watching normal DVDs on my Denon 1720. It's connected via component (QED Qunex P-CV as no hdmi) to my Panasonic 26LXD500 (HD ready with 1,366 x 768 native resolution). Now currently the Denon does progressive scan over component so apparently I am watching DVDs in 576p. According to the manual, the TV accepts signals 720p and 1080i as well.

My question is would I get any benefit in buying say, the Denon 1730, and watching DVDs via HDMI in 720p or 1080i? Would this give a better picture than via component at 576p? The answer to me on paper seems yes, but all this talk on other threads about this is not always the case is confusing!

I don't know if the TV is already doing scaling as it is, as I can't find any menu or whatever. Reading the manual on the TV it does however say "720p/1080i signals via HDMI will be reformatted to view on your TV". If its going to 'reformat' an upscaled 1080i picture (for example) is there any point in upscaling in the first place?

It also mentions in the Denon manual that "Component input accepts progressive and non-progressive signals, as well as high def 720p and 1080i". I didn't think you could send these signals over component?

I hope this all makes sense! I have too many DVD's now to switch to Blueray/HD DVD so I just want the best picture quality for my current DVDs.

Many thanks to anyone who help :)
  2. spooney

spooney Member

Ratings:
    +221
    This question has been answered a few times but here you go again:

Your display like all LCDs and plasma's has to scale to its native resolution not matter of the input format. Depending on the input it will be either up or downscaling.
    Like many TVs you have a non-HD resolution (which is 720 or 1080). This means all players will scale either to 720 or 1080 and your display will have to reformat to its native resolution.
    If this double processing gives a good result you will have to try out. Some people report 1080i gives them a better picture than 720p but I wouldn't generalize.

You are watching everything in 1,366 x 768 ;)
  3. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks spooney for you advice. After I posted, I had a long look around and found threads with similar thoughts. I'll think I will stay with my quazi 768 resoultion for the time being.

Just one question though - if the panel is scaling up to its native anyway, does the component progressive scan actually help/improve the picture? Or would it be better to turn this off and let the TV do all the work?
  4. spooney

spooney Member

Ratings:
    +221
    It is difficult to give an advice here. Usually budget players do less of a good job. you would let the TV handle everything.
    The more expensive and high-end players will do a much better job even with the TV 'interferring'. Best to test it and also try 1080i to see which result is best for your setup.
  5. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice spooney. I can easily test the dvd by choosing component interlaced rather than progressive scan. I am assuming that when the TV upscales the picture it will make the picture progressive (sorry didn't know the term) anyway? Since isn't a progessive picture better than an interlaced one - without loss of quality?

Won't be able to test 1080i though as the player only does progressive and doesn't upscale, or have a HDMi connection.

The Denon player was about £130 a year or so ago, so not a cheap cheap player, but I guess when you mean high-end you are talking >£500? For a setup that uses a 26" LCD and Dolby Headphone (to avoid waking the neighbours), not sure i could jusify that on a player.
  6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Most people are noticing big differences now with upscaling players that only cost between £80-£130. We're starting to get affordable upscaling players that really perform.

Look at the main threads around here. Players like:

Philips 5980
    Pioneer DV400
    Samsung HD870 and 1080P7
    Oppo 981 of course being the Daddy.
  7. spooney

spooney Member

Ratings:
    +221
    There is no interlaced display on an LCD or Plasma. Only CRTs display the image interlaced.