Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uprated Lights

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by BluWarfareHD09, Nov 20, 2011.

1. BluWarfareHD09

BluWarfareHD09 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I'm looking at up rating my light on my 51 Plate Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, as the light is very orangy/yellowish white light which is pretty horrible when on long journeys and when wet the light seems not to show up, it's as if the water is just absorbing the light.
    The car manual say that the Dip/Main Bulb's are " 50/55 watt H4L halogen bulb ", the side light's are " 5 watt wedge base bulb " and the fog's are " 55 watt H1 halogen bulb ". I would like to replace them with a set of bulbs that will produce a nicer light which is abit brighter and will work in the wet. Any advice is welcomed.
    The last thing I would like to ask is if it is possible to clean the lense of the fog light as it's gone abit white and I think there may be a film layer built up. If it isn't possible to clean up so it's clear again can you just replace the lense or do you have to replace the whole unit. Thanks in advance
  2. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok Member

Ratings:
    +137
  3. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Replacing your headlight bulbs with something like 'osram night breakers' will make a significant difference.
    If you don't want to spend osram money, I've had good results with halfords own brand of 'fancy' bulbs too, and they often have BOGOF offers on them.
    Note, I've never gone for bulbs with a blue tint to try and make them look like xenons, or anything like that.
    Up to you if you do the sides and fogs.
    I once did sides because philips side bulbs were free with some osram bulbs, but my skinned fingers weren't worth the effort.
  4. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Blue tinted bulbs are naff, popular with the great unwashed council estate manky Citroen teenagers. Sides with a very light tint to tease away the yellowness of normal bulbs and make them whiter are OK, and often supplied free with an order from the likes of autobulbsdirect and powerbulbs. FWIW, when they were selling Ring Xenon Max (+100%) at £24,99, my local motor factors got me some for £14.99.
  5. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Member

Ratings:
    +199
    The Philips Extreme Vision finished top in this month' Auto Express headlamp bulb test:

Headlamp bulbs tested | Products | Auto Express

I bought some Philips Plus Vision bulbs a few years back for my 53 reg Focus which offered significantly better light output than the standard bulbs.
  6. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Another vote for the Halfords Super brilliance bulbs, they scored really well in an old Auto Express review and were an improvement over standard bulbs, i also got them BOGOF.
  7. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +179
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +950
    •H4 and H7 types have gold plated spade connectors which is a sign of quality original equipment engineering from Osram.

and then you plug a nickel plated plug onto them , almost as good gold plated HDMI leads :facepalm:
  10. BluWarfareHD09

Ratings:
    +179
    I can oly see it say 55 watt mate, also if the originals are 50/55 surly the extra may melt the connection block
  11. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +950
    Almost certain you only have high or low beam not both ...
  12. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    If you enlarge the photo, you can clearly see 60/55w on the pack.
    And H4 bulbs are twin filament.
    If these are higher rates than your standard ones, it's only slightly.
    In the past I've fitted much higher wattage bulbs with no problems (yes, illegal bulbs)