Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade advice from onkyo 606

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by CJSIMPSON, Feb 26, 2012.

1. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I currently have an onkyo 606 receiver and jamo a102 speaker package.
    I have recently upgraded to a panny 3d tv so I have had to revert to connecting via optical.

I would like to get the the audio back so am considering an upgrade.

Does anybody have any recommendations?
    I woul like to keep to a max of around 250 if possible and would consider second hand.

I know some might say i would benefit more by having better speakers but I get grief about these so have no chance of going bigger. Unless anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. scottthehat

scottthehat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,228
    The sony amp is 3d ready but is a model down from what you have. And maybe you could get a 608 or 609 2nd hand. I have a 606 and have just brought a 875 in New condition for 250 and its in a different class.

There is a 608 in the classified section for a little over you budget.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Shouldn't the 875 be more expensive than the 608/9?
  4. scottthehat

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Its older than the 606 but higher spec. And they seem to go for around 250 on here but its not 3d ready, but when it come out it was about on £1000.
  5. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,051
    There is no point getting a 875 with the speakers you have, plus it is not 3D as far as I am aware so would not be much use.
    The Denon 1912 can be bought for around £250 so would come close to budget but again it really deserves much better speakers. Better speakers do not have to be bigger, have a look at the Monitor Audio Radius range or Anthony Galleo or B&W M1s as some examples.
  6. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I'll have a look at some of these.

Do you think then that better speakers and current amp would be better than new amp and current speakers?
    I was just thinking to get the hd audio codecs which I couldn't get with current amp.
  7. scottthehat

Ratings:
    +1,228
    Your current amp does all the current hd sound. Its just not 3d ready.
  8. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +721
    Have you thought about just getting a HDMI splitter with 3D EDID override. That will enable you to run HDMI to both your amp and display and get 3D and HD Audio.

There's the Octava HDDA12A-UK, the CYP QU-12S1A and the Elbox nSplitter Pro.
  9. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,051
    Your amp with better speakers is going to sound better than a new amp with your current speakers IMHO.
  10. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi stevelup,

These units are very expensive. I could buy a new amp nearly with the cost of these.

Can you explain how they work and how they differ from a normal hdmi splitter?
    It sounds a great idea in principle but the cost doesn't seem to make it worthwhile just to get hd audio.
  11. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Also what is the edit feature exactly and why is it required?
  12. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +721
    The third one I listed is €79 - not really anywhere close to the cost of a new amplifier! Even the two more expensive ones are less than half the price of a new 609.

Basically, you insert that device between your source and the amplifier, then run a second HDMI lead to your display.

The splitter will tell the source that it is capable of 3D and HD audio. When you watch something in 3D, the amp will get the audio via one output and the display will get the picture from the second. So you're effectively bypassing the amp for 3D, but retaining HD audio.
  13. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that it sounds like an option.

If I look round for a different model do I need to look for anything else or just a splitter with EDID?
  14. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +721
    I think the three I've listed are the only ones, but can't be 100% sure.

You need something that either already has a preset EDID or can learn multiple ones and combine them.
  15. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Looking round these seem to be around the £80 mark.

If I were to sell my receiver and put some money to it I may be able to afford a newer receiver.

Any suggestions?

I have seen quite a few Yamaha 921 units but not sure how they would compare to what I have, I don't expect a huge step up but certainly don't want to take a step back.