Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated Illegal Downloading Poll

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Iccz, Apr 30, 2012.

?

Do you illegally download?

1. Yes.

114 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. Yes, started after talk of the acts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, Never have.

25 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. No, given up (before the talk of the acts).

32 vote(s)
    18.3%
  5. No, given up (after the talk of the acts).

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Pack Dude

Pack Dude Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Your avatar looks like a still from a manga movie? I guess you don't own the copyright for it?

Does anyone know of any case where someone has been prosecuted for downloading a movie or TV show? Its not exactly a policing matter? More of a civil thing. A law that is not enforced is not a law.

Of course, some of the biggest breaches of copyright law come from the new media like google/youtube with the old media sony/viacom and the like burying their heads in the sand and dragging their feet. I have no sympathy for anyone whining and bitching from their ivory towers.
  2. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Yes.

[​IMG]

But things like Steam have definitely brought my levels down. Once Netflix takes off here properly it will cut it down even further.
  3. Rock Danger

Rock Danger Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,576
    The cartoon or the 2001 film??? :confused:
  4. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,449
    If it's the cartoon he probably hasn't seen it as many times as me :rolleyes:
  5. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I saw that The pirate bay,has been "avoided "by BT,virgin,sky etc..
  6. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,763
    :laugh:

Seriously?

Of course it is, just because every single law and every breach of every law can not be fully policed does not mean it is not a law, what a ridiculous statement.
  7. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,321
    i must admit i have (and still do occasionally) download, not giving out an excuse but i do.

At the moment i'm downloading Game of Thrones season 2, i have a full sky atlantic HD sub (pay about £70 a month) however what really gets on my wick is the amount of adverts, every 8 or 9 minutes :thumbsdow

thing is, does my downloading a show (which i pay to watch) have a detrimental affect on it, i would say probably yes....

by not watching it on sky it keeps the ratings down, ratings down = less advertising, less advertising = less chance of more of these shows getting made....

so even though ive already paid for it i'm still damaging by downloading.... That being said, if sky didnt take the **** with the amount of ads i wouldve carried on watching on atlantic cos i find downloading a ballache on my 1.7meg connection at home...:rolleyes:
  8. Scotteh

Scotteh Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I don't download games anymore as they are all multiplayer based, used to years ago but really can't be bothered now.

On the other hand I do download TV shows and DVD/Blu-Ray rips if they happen to come out before the UK but I also then go and buy them lol. I've spent so much money on DVD's and Blu-Ray's that if anybody piped up about me downloading a TV show because anal exec in the US decides we have to wait for 6 months....they can go swivel.
  9. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,321
    actually, good point scotteh, i also recently downloaded br rips of mission impossible ghost protocol and sherlock game of shadows, both of which i have bought on blu or have pre-ordered... i just have no patience...:rolleyes:
  10. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk Member

Ratings:
    +130
    Voted yes, mainly TV shows, not saying it's morally correct, but it's more pleasurable.

Firstly picture and sound quality, no discernible difference, HD, DD Sound etc,
    No adverts,
    No worrying about whether the recording will clash,
    Further in front of Uk programming,

I think as others have said I pay a full TV license and sky sub, so feel less guilty about doing it.

As for the download, it's automated to pick out the shows I watch, rename them in the format I want, grab all the artwork, lay them out in a fancy format and look 100x prettier than the sky guide planner. 40Mb internet and unlimited usage means I tend not to worry about that side of things. 256 bit AES encrypted downloads covers the other aspect.
  11. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    That's not the case unless you are one of the 5000 or so homes who have their viewing habits tracked. You would know if you were as you have to agree with it and they come and put another box in your home that measures what you watch.

So the only harm done is by downloading the shows you possibly less likely to buy the box sets or if you cancel your sky subscription because of it (which you haven't).

However while it's true for us that we wouldn't buy a box set for ourselves for shows we downloaded we frequently buy tv box sets for our friends and family based on the fact we enjoyed the downloaded show.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,321
    didnt know that!! my conscience is cleared!!:D
  13. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Just to clarify, Hallmark became The Universal Channel, here in the UK, in Autumn 2011, so whilst The Universal Chanel may not air the same material as Hallmark in the USA, the channel is still broadcasting in the UK, on Sky Channel 113. :)

Pooch
  14. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10,428
    Ah...it's all falling into place.
  15. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,205
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  16. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Thanks Krish, Will give that a listen when I am home!
    Should be interesting to hear an MP talk about the Internet...or scary who knows!
  17. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10,428
    Just listened to it, felt like less of a debate then a chance for the presenter to rant against the ISPs for not blocking everything illegal. The MP and the ISP guy were broadly in agreement, so there wasn't really any representation from anyone not in support of the ruling...but that wasn't likely to happen. :)
  18. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Agreed I pay for all my games and music etc but there is just nothing legit that compares to tv piracy. I still pay for a full sky sub though so don't feel guilty about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xbmc rocks, there are more attractive views than the top one but we find that gives the best comprimise between looks and useability.
  19. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk Member

Ratings:
    +130
    That's definitely pretty.

[​IMG]

(sorry not direct screen grabs)

It would interesting to see what extra would be required for advert-less programing and whether people would pay for it.
  20. themediaman

themediaman Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Yes................

Full fat 1080p goodness mostly, TV shows too [sci fi, fantasy], also in HD where available............

:devil:
  21. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    used to be me, but sky TV are much better than before. I'll happily wait a week, maybe two. But things that are a season out of date because of channel 5 not showing it etc I would download.

Is it still copyright infringement if you download something that is licensed by a channel you can receive? Eg house if you have a sky subscription? Is it still copyright infringement if you don't download it until its aired? Whats the difference then between downloading and recording it?

Netflix is a start, but a lot of the content is still too old so its no good for modern shows.

I've also downloaded movies that I have bought on bluray, as I have no means of ripping them at home.

it is difficult when downloading gets you DRM free content whereas paying for it still has lots of restrictions to it. If something like itunes gave me HD movies with no DRM I'd jump on it.

there is also the argument that those that download are more into the content, and therefore perhaps more likely to go to the cinema to watch an event movie, or subscribe to netflix or spotify etc.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  22. alphaomega16

alphaomega16 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Yep, the cartoon.

Such an awesome film, except for the parts where its turned into a ******* musical.
  23. alphaomega16

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I tried XBMC but I can never get it so it shows info on a movie ?

Is there a package with extras that does that or am I missing something.
  24. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +884

download it, but also set up a series link for it on sky but don't watch it? Does sky record stats from everyone with a box or only certain households?
  25. alphaomega16

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I understand that but the programming that used to be shown on Hallmark in the UK is no longer shown on Universal, the ONLY films you get are Perry ******* mason every damn day. I miss all the hallmark christmas films that were not shown along with other tv shows.

Edit
    Next 2 weeks on Universal the only films being show are Tomb Raider 1 and 2, monday next week then the following saturday.

Christmas just gone the only "Films" they had airing was Perry Mason crap.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  26. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148

you don't need any add ons or anything for movie information, when you add your movie folder to the library it should scrape the posters and fanart and information etc. If that isn't happening perhaps your movies arn't named correctly or when you added the folder to the library you didn't chose the option to say it contains movies.

if all you mean is you want to see the movie information you just press i

[​IMG]

Probably better asking in this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...p-support-thread-updated-version-11-eden.html

or on the xbmc forums

http://forum.xbmc.org/

so we don't derail this thread.
  27. alphaomega16

Ratings:
    +1,581
    This is pure awesomeness and what really ****** me off about slapping a DVD into the drive.
  28. alphaomega16

Ratings:
    +1,581
    ooo thanks very much for the link mate, much appreciated will have a bash through that now.

Also I dont currently yet have a remote, not really looked into it yet but I was hoping to get a mini pc built for this purpose.
  29. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I'd accept say one min of adverts before and after each programme I watched as long as there was nothing during and no dogs. I've noticed there is a lot more in programme advertising now and while it's a little jarring I much prefer that to actual adverts, most often its showing off the sat nav system of a car or the apps on a mobile phone. Of course if you watch it on tv you are getting both and I don't find that acceptable.

I'd happily pay say £50 a month for a system with every episode of every tv show in hd. I'd cancel sky for it though and it would need to have all seasons.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. jassco

jassco Active Member

Ratings:
    +997
    I used to download pc games all the time when I was younger (and poorer). Now I buy every single one of them through steam etc., with the only exception being a game I had bought previously and lost the disc for.