1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlock Huawei E220 USB Modem (3, T-Mobile, Vodafone)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by nickp8, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickp8

nickp8 Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Had a few people pm me for the instructions so I am just going to post them in this thread.

------------------------------------------------

UNLOCKING '3' HUAWEI E220 USB MODEM

Huawei E220 USB modem is supplied by 3, T-Mobile & Vodafone.

Do the below with your laptop running on mains power or from a desktop pc.

READ through all the instructions first before starting. You do this at your own risk. It will void your warranty with your network provider.

Go to: http://www.mobileconnected.co.uk/usb-modem-huawei-e220-on-vista-take-2/

Do Step one on the above link if you are using Windows VISTA. If you are not go direct to step two.

Do Step two on the link above regardless of the OS you are using. This will update the modem firmware to the latest version.

DO NOT DO STEP 3 on the link above. IT IS FOR VODAFONE MODEMS ONLY AND WILL LOAD THE VODAFONE DASHBOARD ON YOUR MODEM!

Go to: http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/list.do?type=-1&id=736

Download E220-UTPSB002D03SP04C03 (Normal) (7813 KB) 23-Nov-2007. Extract and run.

Edit: Just seen E220-UTPSB002D03SP16C03 (Normal) (6870 KB) 14-Jan-2008 is now on the site. I personally used the above.

The above program will update your modem dashboard to the latest version and unlock your modem. It replaces the '3' dashboard.

----------------------------------------------

You will need to run the Mobile Partner setup program from your modem to install the new dashboard on your laptop.

Your new dashboard is the Mobile Partner software.

To set up a connection in Mobile Partner go to:

Tools > Options > Profile Management
    Click New
    Enter a profile name
    The Settings for the '3' network are:
    APN static
    APN: three.co.uk
    Access number: *98#
    No username or password required leave blank
    Click save

If you use a different networks simcard you will have to create a profile for that particular network using the correct settings for that network.
  2. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    So does this mean I can buy the three usb modem for £99 on pay as you go, unlock it and use my tmobile web and walk SIM in it?
  3. nickp8

nickp8 Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Yes but look on ebay too. You can pick up E220s for £60 - £80.
  4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +160
    This does not unlock the E220. Also some of you information above is incorrect.:(
  5. nickp8

nickp8 Member

Ratings:
    +154
    I did the above and it worked? What information is incorrect? I no longer have the modem as I sold it now use a Merlin XU870 Expresscard 3G HSDPA modem.
  6. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Looking on ebay the usb modems are about £90 plus P&P, however the merlin you mention is also widely available for £90-£100. I could do with a new 3G modem since my new laptops do not have a PCMCIA slot and currently use a tytn 2 as a modem.
    The merlin looks better -is it?
  7. nickp8

nickp8 Member

Ratings:
    +154
    I have seen many E220 go quite a bit less than £90. You just need to watch the auctions. Also the Merlin can be had cheaper. I got it for £75 inc p&p on ebay brand new.

I found the Merlin to better than the E220 and the built in Dell 3G mobile broadband modem in my Dell XPS Laptop. The Merlin uses the new expresscard slot laptops have. This has replaced PCMCIA. If you dont have an expresscard slot there are USB to expresscard slot adapters.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. legion411

legion411 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    THIS DOES NOT UNLOCK HUWAEI E220 MODEMS!!!!
    Well at least it doesn't with Vodafone uk modems. I've tried it with 3 different modem with no joy :(
    The only succesful way i've found is to use www.kulankendi.com

Very good service form them, unfortunatley it cost's 15 euros :(
  9. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67

thanks for this -i got a xu870 from ebay in the end (£50!)
    found the new firmware and generic communicator software so it works with my o2 card and t mobile card-cheers
  10. dan8e11

dan8e11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    great thread, i used the service at www.kulankendi.com, and it worked a treat.. thanks for that legion411. Just 1 question, nickp8, where did you get the network settings for 3 from? Im going to work in france soon and was hoping you could point me in the right direction forfinding these settings. Been googling for some time now, but with no joy. any advice would be appreciated.

cheers:smashin:
  11. rodsmith

rodsmith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know the profile for orange I am unlocking a t-mobile 220 and want to use it on orange
  12. Ima Prize Dork

Ima Prize Dork New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have got Huawei E169G locked on 3 network. Can anyone help me with how to unlock it?
  13. hutch

hutch Active Member

Ratings:
    +931
    Post closed at the request of the OP, it appears that this does not work on all versions of the modem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.