Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncharted 2:Among Thieves PS3 Reviews

Discussion in 'PS3 Game Reviews' started by Wigandave, Oct 17, 2009.

?

How Do You Rate Uncharted 2:Among Thieves

1. Perfect (10/10)

37.8%
  2. Outstanding (9/10)

48.8%
  3. Very Good (8/10)

10.1%
  4. Good (7/10)

1.8%
  5. Above Average (6/10)

0.5%
  6. Average (5/10)

0.5%
  7. Below Average (4/10)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Poor (3/10)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Very Poor (2/10)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Appalling (1/10)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Worthless (0/10)

0.5%
  1. SupplementMan

SupplementMan Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I just finnished this game last night and in my life I havent completed too many games despite gaming since the 80s, 1 of the others is the prequel

I thought this must be a jealous 360 owner when I first read this, but some of the criticisms are valid, some less so, although I think they are more niggles than things that spoil the game. Agree with the illogicality of some of the puzzles being a slight downer, and the inconsistances in what Nate can do, 1 miniute he can climb something, next min he cant, thats because of the linear solutions to the puzzles but they could be more consistant or offer multiple solutions would be an improvement. Still it managed to remind me of the original Prince of Persia on the Amiga

I also agree that you could rate better movies, with better stories, Broken Sword was also a better story and told better, with more likable characters. It would b good if you could intract/chat to other charcters la Broken Sword. It would be nice to influence the story to but thats probably asking too much for a 3rd person climbing shooter. But this all misses the point that it makes you feel immersed and it gives the gameplay more meaning

Another criticism I have for 'Greatest Game Ever' is, for the best game ever,its not that much different from the prequel, is it?

Graphically I have to disagree, never seen better on a console, beautiful at times

In terms of a shooter, UC2 is actually my fave single player shooter I've played, Ive played R2, COD4, but Ive never really warmed to the FPS because I prefer 3rd person, it seems more natural to me. Agree with thesaid glitches and the AI is a bit weak, it doesnt spoil the gameplay really but could be improved. Any tips for other 3rd person shooters on the PS3?

What people ignore is, this game isnt made just or hardcore gamers, its a game none gamers pick up and become emersed into. And in playing to all crowds it does very well

9/10 - And I feel somewhat harsh giving it only a 9, best on the PS3 so far
  2. leighprice23

leighprice23 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    i gave this 10 and heres why
    im a xbox man ,never like the playstation in any form
    ive just never liked the ps2/ps3 pad and have always enjoyed playing games on the xbox
    im no fanboy though as i have a 360/wii and ps3
    but the only reason i have a ps3 is that i wanted it to play blurays ,and as they where expensive to buy machines when first released it seemed common sense to get a ps3 and then i could play games also if i ever needed
    ive had it quite a while now and only use it for playing blurays, but after all the hype surrounding this game and nothing on any other system that took my fancy i thought sod it ill give it a go:D
    i must add im not massive gamer ,ill buy a new game complete as soon as possible (hopefully enjoy it:D)and sell it on untill the next big release
    well anyway since starting this at the weekend ive been blown away:thumbsup:
    graphics are stunning and its so well polished as a game ,plus the cutscenes and general dialogue can be hilarious!
    i never play games again once complete as even though they could be the greatest rated games there is always some tedious crap that i cant face going through again:D
    i dont know how far from the end i am ,and i dont want to know as im enjoying it so much and can already see myself starting it again asap
    and that is why its a 10 as ive never enjoyed playing a game that much before
    and if i was to get the original uncharted would i enjoy it as much ?

cheers and sorry but im a manual worker so grammar and typing isnt my thing :D
  3. SupplementMan

SupplementMan Member

Ratings:
    +15
    If you havent played it, Unchartered 1 is nearly as good as the sequel imo
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. leighprice23

leighprice23 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    thanks for letting me know
    glad i get to enjoy another round of uncharted then
    although ive done it backwards:D
  5. SupplementMan

SupplementMan Member

Ratings:
    +15
    The only thing with it is it takes a little while to get into the shooting on the first game, Im thinking of playing both through on hard despite having other games i havent played yet :D
  6. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice Member

Ratings:
    +146
    I played the first Uncharted and was hugely impressed, at the time I thought Naughty Dog really had their work cut out in trying to improve on it. I needn't have worried...

Even better visuals, tighter gameplay and improved scriptwriting. Special mention to the writing from me - so often the scripts/story lines are seemingly secondary, just tagged on as an afterthought. Uncharted 2 is an example to others to (try) to live up to. Having nailed the graphics and gameplay, Naughty Dog have also upped the ante in story telling.

Great wit and humour are employed here with devastating effect, it's obvious that much love was harvested in the game's development, resulting in a highly polished product. So polished that if this game was a floor I'd happily eat off of it. Praise indeed. Normally cutscenes in games just annoy me, breaking the flow of play. But in Uncharted 2 they serve to enhance the experience. The structure and pacing of the game are without equal in my opinion.

So now I'm thinking that Naughty Dog have a huge problem in trying to improve on this for Uncharted 3. As I said earlier, I thought that about the sequel to the original, and I'm happy to say they proved me wrong. Good luck to them though, I think they'll be needing it this time.

I gave a 9, simply because nothing is perfect in my opinion. But this is as close as it gets. Naughty Dog, I salute you.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  7. oakwood49

oakwood49 Member

Ratings:
    +113
    ditto
    2 first then 1 :D

struggling to think of 2 better games in a series on any console
    with as good a story, action and set-pieces :clap:

9/10 for both from me (to encourage naughty dog to make number 3 :smashin:)
  8. Stream62

Stream62 Active Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Great game 9/10 for me.

Visually looks amazing and the gunfight scenes are pretty good.

Much improved from number one with some of the frustrating controls gone and the 'sameyness' of the gun fights reduced.

Couple of sections are a bit frustrating and I didn't enjoy the final fight. Some of the bits are very much press button A when promted then press button B when prompted which was again a bit dull, luckily these were quite infrequent.

Will be looking out for number 3 if it comes.:thumbsup:
  9. MLOC

MLOC Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just like everyone else said, this is a must have for any game lover, you dont even have to have played the first to enjoy this. Everything down to the graphics,sounds,gameplay,humor,realisim and anything else I forgot was class!!!
    :thumbsup:
  10. Flawed Tactics

Flawed Tactics Member

Ratings:
    +20
    As leighprice23 hinted at above; any game you want to play through more than once should get a 10/10.

I've played Uncharted 1 four times and Uncharted 2 twice... so far. Have no intention of selling/trading cos they are really good games to fall back on when good games/new releases are thin on the ground. :thumbsup:
  11. GOLFATHER76

GOLFATHER76 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    10/10 from me excellent game :thumbsup:

I never played game like this before, very intrested story & easy to play, love it

cant wait for uncharted 3 :smashin:
  12. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,895
    Played a couple hours so far and it good make no mistake but it's boring, tomb raider style is pretty dull. Certainly not game of the year material.
    After more play may change my mind but dont think so.
  13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,064
    To be honest, if you find that the "tomb raider style is pretty dull" then you are not really going to enjoy a game that does take a fair bit of inspiration from games like Tomb Raider. :)

For me there was certainly no other game released last year that was as good as this, but that's just me and I do like Tomb Raider style games. That said, by looking at the scores this has attracted there are many who share my views on this one. It's always each to their own though and there will never be a game released which everyone thinks is amazing.
  14. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,895
    That was just initial impression, was impressive at the start but i think i may end up finding it boring.
    But we will see was quite impressive at the beginning.
  15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,064
    It's one of those great games which just gets better and better. If i'm honest, I do find a lot of games pretty boring these days as usually they have been done better before. This was one of those games that just kept me gripped though. The story was fantastic, it was superb to play and for a console of this generation the visuals were simply stunning.

I'm quite envious that you're just starting the game...enjoy :thumbsup:.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. trent steel

trent steel Active Member

Ratings:
    +373
    Gave it a 9, liking it alot and its a game the kids like watching me play:smashin: They're talking of letting me buy the first chapter:thumbsup:
  17. crooksy

crooksy Member

Ratings:
    +23
    It's a 9 for me.

I completed it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, haven't enjoyed a game from beginning to end like that in a very long time.

As everyone else has mentioned here, the script is very well written and witty which makes the game play more like an interactive movie at times.

Absolutely stunning graphics all round and you just don't want the game to end.

Saying that however I have to say I didn't like the last level. Without giving too much away the final level environment and enemies sort of killed the realism for me and I was disappointed to see that they resorted to the typical last boss encounter found in the majority of shooting games.

If they'd of stripped that away and had a more clever/simplified ending with less guns and one big final puzzle that would have been much better in my eyes and I'd of given it a 10.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  18. ClevBeast

ClevBeast Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Still not tried the MP side of things but the SP is amazing. Fantastic story, great characters with a great script. I am joining some folk on Tuesday for my first steps into MP on this game & i'm confident that will be fabulous too.

I will not however be going for a platinum trophy on this one though as i hear some of the treasure is very tricky to find.

Wonderful game 9/10
  19. Citizen J

Citizen J Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    The dialogue in this game is fantastic. The individuals behind the script should fell very proud. It is a 9.5 if we had that score available, since we don't its a 9.
    The last boss is a little poor however the whole presentation of the game and the excellent manner in which everything just flows together is exceptional.

Very enjoyable :thumbsup:.
  20. Big Starbuck

Big Starbuck Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I just completed my first playthrough and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. From the witty dialogue to the stunning visuals and satisfying gameplay, the game is very well polished, (the only gripe I had with the previous game). I will be playing this over a number of times without a doubt. For me this is the number one title to own on the PS3.

p.s I gave it a 9/10

I never give game's a perfect score as there's always room for improvement.
  21. clarkie71

clarkie71 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Awesome game!!!

I've been playing on and off since xmas and still havent finished, currently stuck on level 25 broken trying to kill off those pesky indigenous people is a nightmare.

Only last week i have started playing the online mode and it has added a whole new diemension to the game, I'm only on level 19 but loving every minute of it.

The game is simlpy stunning,

Voted 9/10