1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK PS3 (80 gig) - will it work in US ?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Network' started by Nigelinuk, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Nigelinuk

Nigelinuk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to so sell up and move to the US. The only electrical item I planned take was my trusty PS3. However some guy at work mentioned that while games are no longer zonal the actual harware is ?!?

Is it worth the risk taking it or should i sell up and bite the bullet ?
  2. andy1249

andy1249 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,235
    Games are region free , movies are not , so your UK PS3 wont play region 1 ( or american region ) movies. Thats an operating software thing.

The hardware itself is not region coded , and power on any PS3 Ive seen is from 100 - 240 v , so all you would need to do would be to go to radioshack or similar and buy a power lead.

The only possible issue hardware wise would be if you were using an SD TV , in which case you would run into the PAL vs NTSC thing.... but thats easily avoided by using a flat screen.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. Nigelinuk

Nigelinuk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, Thx... you've convinced me .... into the tea-chest its going to go !
  4. Justice25

Justice25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sorry to bump this old thread, bit I face the same issue as Nigel....everywhere I have read on the internet people say the ps3 has a universal PSU, yet on my ps3 it clearly says 220-240v, so does that mean it will not work in the states?

If so, I am truely gutted:(
  5. kendoll

kendoll Member

Ratings:
    +561
    They label them for the region they are sold in, but they are multi-voltage. I am using a US PS3 in Australia with no problems (and it is labelled 110V). :smashin:
  6. Justice25

Justice25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the info.

So basically this is what happened when I tested it out (I'm already in the states)

I have a 240v supply in my kitchen, I plugged the ps3 in there just to test it, it worked fine.

I then plugged my ps3 uk power lead into a little travel converter thing, so it would plug into the 110 socket.

But it didn't work, any help would be great.
  7. Justice25

Justice25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In fact I just found the ps3 110 lead, plugged it in, and it still wont work.

Why is my ps3 an exception? :(
  8. Justice25

Justice25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any more suggestions?
  9. SMB_002

SMB_002 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a bit late but for people who might still be purchasing a ps3 from the US and bringing it back to the UK and vice versa. The ps3 will work as I purchased my ps3 a year ago from the US and after blowing up an adpater i managed to find my old pc's kettle lead and used that and my ps3 has been working fine for a year now. So an American ps3 will work in the UK as long as you have a kettle lead plug, this is because the ps3 as its own built in transformer which makes it multi regional!
  10. psruk

psruk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I took my UK 40G PS3 over to the US this fall and it has works fine straight out of the 110v socket. Like yours it is marked up as 220-240v. My Panasonic panel also works a dream taking HDMI output from the PS3 and the US cable box and that was also marked up as 240v only. Just goes to show, don't always believe what the box says. :)
  11. LJx

LJx Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    yeah PS3 have internal power supply thing and just a normal cable you get from any electrical goods that plug into a socket i think
  12. thesaint02

thesaint02 Member

Ratings:
    +176
    To anyone still experiencing this problem, you need a "kettle" lead without using an adaptor.
    My brother has a US PS3, and we tried to use his US kettle lead with a US to UK adaptor. It would not work.

I used a UK kettle lead from my subwoofer, and it was fine.