Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu 10.04 XBMC and slow jerky jittery HD playback

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by mald19, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mald19

mald19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Right, I had the last version of Ubuntu (9.10 I think) and XBMC and was watching my HD movies on my acer revo 3610 without any problems. They were usually .mkv files and played fine.

But then I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 and it's all gone, gone, gone. Whenever I play back my HD films they're all stuttery, slow and jerky and out of sync. I've tried changing the settings in XBMC but with no luck so far (tried setting render to VDPA but didn't fix it). I'm not even sure if the problem's with XBMC or the revo itself. I'm not sure if i need to update the nvidia drivers but then i'd imagine Ubuntu would remind me/do it when i upgraded.

If you could help me I would be exceedingly grateful.

Many thanks,

Mike.
  2. williamw11

williamw11 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    checking gfx drivers would be first thing to do
  3. Rayan McFly

Rayan McFly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Did you manage to solve the problem?
  4. Monty1977

Monty1977 Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Interested in this too! I went from Live 9.11 install to 10.x and had the same probs, gave up in the end and rolled back :(

Cheers,
    Adam
  5. mald19

mald19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no luck yet. Am trying to update the nvidia drivers but when i try and run the installation ubuntu doesn't like it. Will update how i get on...
  6. mald19

mald19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    update: I ended up uninstalling ubuntu 10.04 as I couldn't figure out how to get the hdmi video to playback without it jittering.

I've subsequently installed windows 7 and can watch hd (.mkv) movies without any problems using media player classic home cinema BUT what I really want to do is get XBMC to do the same.

I really liked using XBMC when it used to work, so if anyone has any ideas as to why I can watch hd movies in mpc-hc and not in XBMC then please could you let me know.

Many thanks.
  7. Threluja

Threluja Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My bet is that you were running compiz. Just right click on the desktop, click on change desktop > visual effects and select none. Running all 1080p content on mine through 10.04 just fine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. mald19

mald19 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just tried a hi defintion .mkv file and it played fine on windows media player classic home cinema but when i try it on xbmc it still plays back in a kind of slow motion. If anyone has any more suggestions I'd really appreciate them. I've been reading about the gpu/cpu usage but don't know how to change that.

Many thanks.
  9. sastusbulbas

sastusbulbas Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have the same issues with an HIS 3850 graphics card. It works OK with Mint if I do not update the graphics driver but not with XBMC.

I also have had the same issue with Ubuntu, it did work when I first did the second install (1st was deleted due to updating graphics driver causing problems as mentioned)

To be honest I am about to give up, considering the amount of work and effort to get something that seems second rate in comparison to Windows.

My W7 PC and OSX 10 Mac PPC can play back DVD and such better than the Linux OS's (Mac has an ancient PCI card)
  10. tredman

tredman Active Member

Ratings:
    +247
    XBMC will not officially support 10.04 until the next release, and I guess you are probably installing from the last official release PPA (9.11)

That being said the SVN version works perfectly for me.

If you just want to use it as a media player you are better off using XBMC Live or configuring your own XBMCbuntu system (see wiki)
  11. Gimlea

Gimlea Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried using 'XBMC Freak's' Live cd? The link is here - XBMCFreak » Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn31632

I use it and it works very well indeed, you do have to play about with the settings in XBMC to iron out the niggles, but I am very happy with it. It works out of the box so to speak!

There aren't that many skins that work with this version at the moment, but if it sorts out the issues that you are having it's a small price to pay.

I prefer using the 'live' version as it keep the system software to a minimum, I know others will say that a minimal Ubuntu install works fine. I have Xubuntu, installed on a separate partition, again works well. I went for this version as it is a slightly more streamlined version of Ubuntu and doesn't use as much resources as the normal desktop flavour.

Hope this helps, I post my settings for XBMC for reference soon.
  12. Alpinestar

Alpinestar Member

Ratings:
    +30
    +1

use xbmcfreak live, it comes preloaded with most of the latest drivers or wait for the dharma release which should be coming to beta release real soon
  13. iqofafish

iqofafish Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just a suggestion but you could try mythtv or mythubuntu.
    I have no experience with XBMC but what few issues I've ever had with mythtv I've always been able to resolve in under an hour or so thanks to ubuntu/mythtv forums. The IRC channels are a good source of support too.