Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Pressures - Peugeot 206

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Rasczak, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Can anyone tell me what the Tyre Pressures should be on a Peugeot 206 HDi 1.4 (2003)? Or is it not as simple as that?

I normally get my car serviced every 2 or 3 months because I know nothing about cars and don't really want to. But I've been briefed I need to check tyre pressure regularly. Intent on doing this I investigated at my local Tesco garage and discovered an air pump complete with pressure gauge but that doesn't really help unless I have a target pressure.

I looked in the manual but it only tells me the pressure for the 'emergency' wheel which I suppose implies that nobody here is going to be able to give me an answer without knowing more details about the tyres. As I don't have details I guess I might just have to ask the question next time I get the car serviced. But I'd thought I'd try anyway!
  2. FishDUDE

FishDUDE Member

Ratings:
    +177
    should be on a sticker on the driver door check - I think its usually 2.4 bar.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok Member

Ratings:
    +137
    As the above poster says, there's usually a sticker either within the framework of the drivers door or sometimes inside the fuel flap. Have another look in your handbook as the recommended pressures are sure to be there somewhere. As a guess it will normally around the 30psi (2bar) mark, so set it to that until you know the correct figure. It will be slightly higher at the front of the car due to the weight of the engine, so the rears may be about 28 (1.9bar) or so.

You say you get your car serviced every 2-3 months. Unless you're doing 120k+ miles a year this is both excessive and expensive. Service intervals for most normal cars are usually 10k miles or 12 months. Whatever garage you are using must love you if you're there 5-6 times a year, cheque book in hand.

A few quick tips.

Weekly (or at least monthly)....

Check tire pressures (including spare) using a reliable pressure gauge, adjust using either an air line at a garage or your own pump.

Check outer wall of tires for cuts or bulges [​IMG]
    and the tread for legal depth which is 1.6mm across the centre 3/4 width of the tread [​IMG]
    which can be checked visually with the indicators [​IMG]

or using one of THESE
    and visible tread right to the outside edge [​IMG] (< illegal)

Check your oil using the dipstick (see manual) by pulling it out, wiping clean, re-inserting fully, then pull it out again and see that the dark oil now on the bottom of the dipstick sits between the upper and lower markers
    [​IMG]
    Ensure that the car is on a level surface and that the engine hasn't been running for at least 10 minutes prior.

Check your coolant level (manual again) by looking at the reservoir to see if the liquid inside sits between the upper and lower levels.
    http://www.alertdrive.co.uk/attachments/newsplus/221.jpg

Perform the same check on your brake fluid reservoir.
    [​IMG]

Visually check there is some fluid in your windscreen washer reservoir. At this time of year keep it topped right up, and ensure it has some screenwash/antifreeze mixed in CLICK

Check all your lights (side, dipped headlights, main beam, indicators (hazards), fogs and reversing).

I know you said you don't really want to know, but learning these simple checks will keep you, and the rest of us safe, and may save you lots of money. Please take notice, and if unsure ask some more questions on here or to friends whom may know a bit more than you. The checks I detailed above are now part of the basic driving test, so you would fail your test if you were to ever have to sit it again. Remember, a car is a very large and heavy piece of equipment, and in your hands it may be doing up to (or even over) 70mph, and as such is capable of causing a lot of damage if anything breaks or fails. It is your responsibility to take as much care as possible to protect against such things. If you were to be involved in a serious accident and under Police inspection it became apparent that your vehicle was unroadworthy, you can be prosecuted and even jailed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  4. Misk0

Misk0 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    try here, it's correct for my car
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Thanks for the replies guys - especially davidwatsonok for the extensive guide :thumbsup:

I have found a sticker on the car stating tyre pressure should be 2.3bar :smashin:
  6. FishDUDE

FishDUDE Member

Ratings:
    +177
    damn .1 bar out.