1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin or Single Coaxial Cable for Satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by zoink, Feb 13, 2012.

1. zoink

zoink Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

I am getting my house wired with CAT5 soon and I am also thinking of having the TV option in bedrooms/kitchen.

Doing some research I have found that one can purchase single coax cable as well as double. From what I could see my Sky+ HD box uses two coax cables, so my question is:

Is the double same quality as running two individuals or is it better to run two separate runs?

Thanks!
  2. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +451
    There is no difference between single and twin cable of the same specification. WF100 (single) is the same as WF100 (twin) except that the two cable sheaths are welded together. It's merely a matter of convenience. You can clip twin cable to the wall with half as many clips.
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Hi.
    The purpose of the SKy machine having two connections is to allow you to record one channel while watching another.
    If you don't want that facility then you use one cable to the dish; if you do want it then you use two and of course it makes no difference at all to using the machine whether those are stuck together or not, though as M P says you save on clips by having them stuck together.
    HTH - Logi
  4. zoink

zoink Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Twin it is! Thanks guys!

Also, is there much of a difference between CCA and solid copper other than the price? Would it affect satellite viewing in the future or be restrictive?
  5. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
  6. zoink

zoink Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. MartinPickering

MartinPickering Active Member

Ratings:
    +451
    Probably not because it states "Strands 1/0.65mm" whereas WF100 has a 1mm cooper core. You can look up the full specification for WF100 (especially the dB loss/100m at 2GHz) and compare it - assuming that you can find the equivalent specification for the mysterious 100U. The price of copper dominates the price of the cable so anything cheap is likely to be skimping on copper - which means poorer shielding and/or greater signal losses.

Edit: I just realised that this "100U" is actually twin shotgun cable so you should be comparing it with WF65, not WF100.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012