1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV signals in multiple rooms

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by steven290873, Feb 15, 2009.

1. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I will shortly be moving home and refurbing the new property, i intend to install Cat5 wiring and coaxial cable throughout.

At some point in the future i may invest in an AV multiroom system, however that is likely to be some way off.

in the meantime i simply want to get Satellite and Aerial signals to 6 rooms in the house. I am probably going to get SKY+ HD so i would like the solution to be compatible with this, at least in the main lounge.

Do i simply need a multiswitch (is that what they are called?) which my SKY dish and TV aerial connect into? Am i correct in thinking that both satellite and aerial signals can be pushed to multiple rooms via coaxial cable?

I would be grateful if someone could provide me with a few pointers, and maybe recommend what kit may do the trick.

Thanks in advance

Steven
  2. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. the_gavnor

the_gavnor Member

Ratings:
    +19
    If you want a distribution system that will distribute both UHF and Satellite feeds around the house, then a multiswitch would be your best form of distribution.

Personally I would bring 4 feeds from Quattro LNB to Multiswitch (VL,VH, HL, HH) and then take the UHF direct to the lounge into the HD box and then back up to the multiswitch. You could then add a Triax MFC to add FM and DAB to the mix to get the UHF, FM, DAB, Satellite and the Sky HD into all rooms connected to the Multiswitch.

Shopping list would be:
    Triax TD78 dish
    Quattro LNB
    Multiswitch
    A Load of WF100 cable (don't skimp here!)
    UHF, FM & DAB aerials
    Combiner
    Triplexed faceplates

A good rigger to set up the system (don't skimp here either!)

In terms of AV distribution I would run CAT6 cabling, as you can get 1080p on runs upto 60 metres!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
  4. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the responses guys, can i just check some facts with you re the multiswitch option...

• The recommendation is to buy a Triax TD78 dish and attach a Quatro LNB (such as Inverto Silver Tech 0.2dB Quattro LNB)
    • 4 feeds from the LNB go to the multiswitch in the loft (such as a Triax 5 in 8 out powered multiswitch) connected by WF100 cable.
    • The UHF (TV) feed from the aerial first of all connects to the Sky+ HD box via the Aerial in, and returns up to the multiswitch from the RF1 out ?
    • If i add a Triax MFC then i can feed the DAB and FM aerials into the last remaining input into the multiswitch also.
    • I then run a single WF100 cable to each room and fix to a triplex faceplate.
    • This will give me SKY+HD, TV, DAB and FM to each room. However i will only ever be able to view the same Sky channel throughout the house?
    • Will the above also ensure the highest quality AV, i.e. will it be able to serve HD and stereo sound to all rooms?
    Grateful if someone could confirm if the above is correct, thanks.

I'll post again shortly with some further questions if you are happy to bear with me.

Cheers

Steven
  5. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As promised a few more questions..... i would ideally like to get two sky feeds around the house, as well as the output from my DVD player (currently situted in the lounge). I would also like to be able to control Sky+, Sky, and my DVD from all rooms....greedy i know!!!

2 sky feeds - If i subscribe to Sky multiroom, and retain my current Sky box as well as the new Sky+HD box, how would i ensure feeds from both could go round the house....
    • Assuming the aerial is connected the the Sky+HD box via aerial in, do i connect the SKY+HD box to the sky box from the RF1 (Sky+ box) to Aerial in (normal sky box), then from the RF1 on normal sky box, to the combiner in the loft?
    • I assume this would give me the option of watching 2 differnet sky channels across the house (whereas putting the sky box in a bedroom would restrict it to that room only)
    DVD - assuming i have got the above right (i probably havent), i would like to add my DVD into the equation. How would i go about doing this?

• Do i bring the aerial signal into the DVD first, and then connect to the Syky+ box? If so using what output?
    • Do i then connect the sky + box to the normal sky box as discussed earlier?
    Remote Control - Rather than use skylink which only allows control of the sky box, should i use something like Powemid which will give me control over the DVD also?

I know the majority of this will be factually incorrect, but in order to get my head round this i need to work it through. Thanks for your patience.

Steven
  6. hog

hog Member

Ratings:
    +36
    best way to do it , is sky hd and multiroom box in main lounge 3 cables from dish(quad lnb) along with aerial cable to lounge , rf2 from both boxes into sky plus combiner , dvd scart into modulator , aerial into mod out to sky plus rf in ,then the output of the skyplus combiner to the loft into a compatible 4/6/8way ir amp , then single cable to each room , with magic eye in each room giving you control of sky plus and multiroom box , then if you want to control the dvd just a handylink remote extender(or one similar) after the output of the skyplus combiner then up to the loft to the ir amp

this will be ideal for your current needs , but you will need spare cables put in if you intend to add an av multiroom system at a later date(7 from rack to aerial dish location) as your skyboxes will be located in the rack with everything else
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  7. hornydragon

hornydragon Member

Ratings:
    +1,411
    Thsi will only give you mono sound and the lowest qaulity of picture... Also there are issues with macrovision and modulators...

Also a Standard Sky dish (prefer zone 2) with standard Quad LNB is fine, you cant use magic eyes AFAIK with Multiswitches so you would have no control of sources...

hope this helps
  8. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HornyDragon.

Ideally im looking to get HD quality picture and surround sound into all rooms, but you reckon the set-up above wont give me that?

Would the set up in post 4 give a better result?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Steven
  9. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Hog, ive drawn up a wiring sketch based on your recommendation. Best way for me to understand it is to visualise it!!

You mentioned 7 cables form rack to dish. Why 7, and is this WF100?

For future, should i install...

• 7 WFS100 from dish to rack?
    • 1 WFS100 from aerial to rack?
    • 2 WFS 100 from rack to each room, 4 to lounge?
    • 4 Cat5 from rack to each room?
    • 1 telephone from rack to each room?
    Any more (or less??)

Cheers mate.

Steven

PS - all opinions gratefully received
  10. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

bump....
  11. hornydragon

hornydragon Member

Ratings:
    +1,411
    For HD distrubtion you need soemthing more like AVAtrix AVX562 (UK) or Smart-e (UK) There are also HDMI versions these use the Cat5 from the Rack to the Screen to send HD video and digital audio.

YOu need 4 WF/CT100 from dish to reck + 1 from each aerial (FM/DAB/UHF TV) (can use 1 cable from aerial Rig with masthead combiner).

I would Run 2cat5 + 2 CT100 to a double back box and 2 Cat5 to single back box.

If you want sky boxes in the rack run the 2 + 2 to behind TV if you want them in the room with local DVD etc run them to the equipment location
  12. hog

hog Member

Ratings:
    +36
    we always install 7 cables from rack to roof , as said above 4 sat , tv,fm,dab, as with av multiroom systems you can never have to many cables in place,
    never had any issues with modulating dvd players before so dont let that put you off , the system i sugested will suit your needs for now , but any higher spec then you ll need to get the av multiroom system that will give you everything you asked for
  13. steven290873

steven290873 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fellas, i think ive got it now!

Conclusion = save the pennies!

Steven