Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV / leads - a list of what works best

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by DIRY, Mar 18, 2006.

1. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hopefully ;)

As a noob both to this place, and to the whole world of 360 / HD screens, one of my (many) reasons for finding this place was to try and avoid wasting money by learning from others mistakes :)

However, despite the glowing set of wisdom which is the FAQ, there is one questions which seems to crop up a lot, but never quite get a definitive answer:

VGA vs Component - what works best?

And the answer seems to be - depends! Largely on which TV you have, and what settings you have used.

So I thought I'd see if there was any of you generous people out there who would mind sharing details of what you've got and how happy you are with it.
    Especially if you've tried different combos to get to where you are :)

Sort of thing I'm looking for (please!)

TV: Make and Model
    360 Lead used: (eg MS official component)
    TV Settings:
    Any problems: (overscan for example)
    Any other comments:

Pics would be a plus! :)

I'll then try and know together a result table, which hopefully might be of some use to someone, somewhere :)

Cheers for reading!:cool:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    2nd post, to contain future answers :)

Click the TV link for the settings being used :) (You will have to scroll down the page though ;))

Hitachi
    TV: 32" Hitachi 32LD7200
    360 Lead: MS official VGA - posted by various

Hyundai
    TV: 32" Hyundai Q321
    360 Lead: MS official VGA - posted by homeboys ic

LG
    TV: 26" LG 26LX2R
    360 Lead: MS Official VGA - posted by Alyson

TV: 32" LG 32LX2R
    360 Lead: Joytech VGA vs MS Component - posted by Carlm

Panasonic
    TV: 42" Panasonic TH42PV500
    360 Lead: MS Official Component - posted by DarthPearce

TV: 42" Panasonic TH42PV500
    360 Lead: MS Official Component - posted by Jazz Monkey Jr

TV: 42" Panasonic PHD8 Panel
    Scaler: Lumagen DVI

360 Lead: MS Official Component - posted by Darren Lui

Samsung
    TV: 26" Samsung LE26R41BD
    360 Lead: MS official component - posted by Megaman2005

TV: Samsung 27" LE27T51BX
    360 Lead: Joytech VGA vs Joytech Component - posted by wurzygon

TV: 32" Samsung LE32R41BD
    360 Lead: Joytech VGA - posted by mparter

360 Lead: Joytech Component - posted by stud

360 Lead: MS Official Component - posted by Seraphic

TV: 32" Samsung LE32R51BD
    360 Lead: MS Official Component - posted by fredrikpj

TV: 40" Samsung LE40M61BX
    360 Lead: MS official VGA - posted by Kurt Wilde

TV: 50" Samsung DLP SP50L7HX
    360 Lead: MS official Component - posted by Duncan Wardle

TV: Samsung 940MW
    360 Lead: MS official Component - posted by MonkeyKnuckl86 (settings page 2)
    360 Lead: Joytech VGA - posted by spikecast

Toshiba
    TV: 32" Toshiba 32ZP48
    360 Lead: Component - posted by various

TV: 32" Toshiba 32WL56p and 27" WL56
    360 Lead: Component convertor to get around the non HD abilities (apparently!) - posted by various

Errr - others! Sorry!
    TV: ptae900 & 700
    360 Lead: VGA vs Component - posted by various

TV: Infocus X3 projector
    360 Lead: MS Official Component - posted by Jgrande
  3. SoleFever

SoleFever New Member

Ratings:
    +69
    TV: Samsung LE26R41BD
    360 Lead used: MS official component
    TV Settings:

Contrast:79
    Brightness:48
    Sharpness:50
    Colour:38
    Colour Tone:Cool 1
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Brightness Sensor:Off

Any problems: I do get a small amount of overscan(and i mean small). However after some tests i have now found out that this is caused by my 360 when outputting via component and is not a problem with the tv

Any other comments:Great tv for the money couldent be happier:thumbsup:
  4. sparkymark75

sparkymark75 Member

Ratings:
    +183
    TV: Samsung LE32R41BD
    360 Lead: Joytech VGA
    TV Settings:

Firmware: August 22nd
    Mode: Standard
    Contrast: 95
    Brightness: 45
    Sharpness: 50
    Colour: 50
    Colour Tone: Warm 1

Size: Auto Wide
    Digital NR: Off
    Brightness Sensor: On​

The only annoyance I've had so far is that the default setting for the 360 is PAL-50, this obviously remains the setting stored even when using VGA so some games/demos refuse to work until you switch your 360 to PAL-60 which involves a cable change. :(

Anyway, the picture is pin sharp and I've had no issues with it.
  5. h3ckler k0ch

h3ckler k0ch Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    S'up man. I think you mean component, rather then composite. As you maybe aware, composite is the worst connection you could use besides an RF cable.
  6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,027
    Excellent work DIRY - i'm sure this thread will build into a useful resource for people :). Making this a sticky as we have had loads on threads about the best conectivity to the 360 and what Displays and leads are best.

Welcome to the forums :).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. mylow

mylow Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys was worried about getting the settings right for my Samsung LE32R41BD, I got it to go with my new 360 just waiting on delivery, at least I will have no problems setting it up:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Carnagerover

Carnagerover Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    TV: Samsung LE32R41BD
    360 Lead: Joytech Component
    TV Settings:

Firmware: October 11th
    Mode: Standard
    Contrast: 80
    Brightness: 50
    Sharpness: 20
    Colour: 42
    Colour Tone: Normal

Size: Auto Wide
    Digital NR: Off
    Brightness Sensor: Off

Any problems: Can never be satisfied with my settings, always looking to see if i am missing shadow detail or having it too bright too dark. My fault though not the LCD's. I have asked samsung for some calibrated 360 settings, as they are doing that for the new version and we are curerntly in augument about it.

Also when using component i find that red is overly red and can sometimes make it hard to read. You can adjust by turning the colour down, this affects all colour though :)

Any other comments: Someone take the remote off me so i stop playing with the settings :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +329
    Connecting my 360 by means of the official component cable that comes with premium pack. This in turn connects to my Yamaha A/V amp which then connects to my TV, a 50" Samsung DLP SP50L7HX

My settings are as follows

Contrast 85
    Brightness 56
    Colour 56
    Sharpness 75

Now anyone with same set may think my brightness is TOO high (on hdmi for DVD its only 39) but any lower and it really is too dark for me
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. featherhall

featherhall Active Member

Ratings:
    +610
    Hi Duncan, I remember you had the Hitachi pd4200 (you gave good settings for that too) nice new set. HOw do you find DLP ?
  11. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +329
    So much better its hard to describe - as much as I liked the 5200 its just had too many "niggles" for me to be happy with

The 50" Samsung is just amazing and if you can live without having a TV thats only an inch thick and cant be wall hung then I can not recommend DLP enough

The colours are gorgeous, the picture detailed and the clarity amazing - very little fiddly required to get it looking its best

The viewing angle is also better than you may belive but would say are going to be more suited for those who can be viewing straight on
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. RockySpieler

RockySpieler Member

Ratings:
    +137
    DIRY,

The Link in your sig does not work, has an extra http://
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. draconiantattoo

draconiantattoo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I see that there is a list below but my pc will not let me open the links! I have the Samsung LE32R41BD and need to know which cable to use to attach my xbox 360, I have the VGA HD AV Cable plugged into the PC ports on the back of the tv is this correct??:confused:
  14. lightbulb

lightbulb Member

Ratings:
    +51
    That's correct :)
    You can use the VGA cable and then select the appropriate resolution for your TV in the Xbox's display settings (1360x768). Alternatively if you have it, you can also use the component cable that comes with the Premium packs to connect up the Xbox. :thumbsup:
  15. draconiantattoo

draconiantattoo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    excellent thank you very much so do that mean now that it is set at hdtv for the 360?:thumbsup:
  16. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle Active Member

Ratings:
    +730
    DIRY, none of the links in your 2nd post work, they have an extra http:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Dexstroyer

Dexstroyer Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I usually use my LE26R51BDX but that is in use at the moment so I am having to use the pc TFT for my 360. I currently have it set up with the official component cable but only using the red,white yellow. If I was to get the VGA cable would the picture be any better? and can you buy a cable that would enable me to have the 360 and pc on together, ie just by switching channel instead of cables?
  18. alphaomega16

alphaomega16 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,527
    DUDE wtf I keep getting redirected to microsoft.com ???
  19. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3

My :oops: sorry!

Copy and Paste - handy, but duplicates mistakes...

All now fixed, so should go to where they should go :) (ie, not MS ;))
  20. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not 100% sure on this (just 99% ;))
    The red and white cables are for sound
    The Yellow cable is composite - the others are the component bits :)

In which case, yes, going VGA (or the component bits) would almost certainly be a LOT better :smashin:

Depending on what inputs your screen has, you might be able to hook them both up at once (I've got my PC connected via HDMI, 360 via VGA)

If they both need to go into the VGA, you can get a VGA switch box from the likes of Maplin - usually used to share a monitor between 2 or more PCs :)

HTH!
  21. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks :smashin:

Which VGA lead have you got?
    MS version has red & white audio output as well as Optical 5.1?
  22. calibradtm

calibradtm Member

Ratings:
    +36
    i know you get high definition from the component lead but do you get high definition from the vga lead?
  23. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    cool - cheers :smashin:

The VGA lead audio leads probably can connect to your TV - you probably need an RCA to phono adaptor (Maplin etc etc for a quid or so) to convert the left / right red / white cables into a single stero jack plug.
    BUT - I'm not up on the spec of your TV, so not 100% definate on that :)
    Might be worth it for a quid tho :)

It will only be stereo sound, rather than 5.1 which is only available via the optical cable :)

Both the VGA / Component cables (from Joytech and also the MS versions) have exactly the same audio connections - red/white RCA and Optical :)
  24. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    yep :smashin:
  25. Tim Serle

Tim Serle Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,does anyone know the best cable set up for this,sony 28 widescreen,sony 5.1 digital amp with no optical in,xbox 360.I dont know how you get 5.1 digital without the optical cable.Im using the advanced scart at the moment but can only get sound from the tv.
  26. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Tim :)

which sony screen? - and check out the other link in my sig for a cheapish solutionto your 5.1 problem :)
  27. andypearce

andypearce Member

Ratings:
    +9
    TV : Panasonic TH42PV500
    360 Lead : Official Component

TV settings - will have to chekc but the most important is Dynamic Off

I bought the Official VGA cable at launch (rare beast at the time I know) and tested both cables side by side. The VGA cable gave a slightly less noisy picture (but we are talking very difficult to detect) and has slightly less vibrant colours (but not washed out as others have reported.)

I would have kept the VGA cable if it had not been for the problem of getting the updates for Xbox games with the VGA cable not allowing display.

I also find it is better to set the screen to 720p rather than 1080i on the PV500.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Marky23

Marky23 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi y'all! Not sure whether this is the right place for this.
    I am looking to buy an xbox 360 core pack and have heard that the tv cable included is of poor quality so am looking to buy a decent cable before i get the 360. I am unsure as to whether the following item (link)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AYYAD4/ref=pd_kar/026-6758793-3110039

will work on my TV. On my TVs packaging box it says 'EURO SCART' and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the item will work ok, or even if anyone could tell me how to find out if my TV will allow an RGB scart connection.

Ive tried searching on google using my tv model no. but nothing comes up for it (ive also tried every search site under the sun!!).
    My Tv has a scart socket and im sure that RGB and scart are the same thing but ive just got myself all confuddled over it!! :lease:

Im gonna get a HDtv when ive got the money but from what ive heard this is the best i can get with a normal telly.

Any help would be great

Thankyou all!!
  29. DIRY

DIRY Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Marky :)

Not entirely sure if this is the best thread to post your question in, as it's designed more for people to reference from, so doubt that many people look at it very often :(

That said, I'll answer what bits I can :)

1st up - what TV have you got?

2ndly: Yes, the lead that comes with the Core 360 is generally referred to as 'the lead of last resort' LOL
    You get a red and white connection for (stereo) sound output, and a yellow connector to handle all of the video stuff.
    You do get a SCART adaptor which allows you to plug this into a free SCART socket on your TV.

Replacing this lead with the one you found on Amazon will result in a better picture.
    A 'proper' SCART lead (like the one you found) splits the signal into the RGB parts, and as long as your TV is happy with that (which it should be), it will give better results than just the 'yellow' connector.

Things get a bit confusing from there on in though! LOL

Basically, the list (from worst to best) is:

Composite (the yellow connector which you have)
    Composite into SCART adaptor
    SCART
    Component (Red, Green and Yellow leads) or VGA (PC monitor connector)

As an alternative suggestion whilst you save up for an HD TV (and that will be worth it) - you might want to track down a second hand or cheap LCD PC Monitor and hook your 360 up to it via a VGA lead :)

hope that helps, but you might get a more balanced and informative reply if you post up in the main section on a new thread :)

Welcome aboard though! :hiya:

PS - some leads come with an output for optical 5.1 sound too - if you have already got something to plug that into it would be a plus :)
  30. Marky23

Marky23 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya: DIRY thanks for that!

Okey my tv i have just found out come in another TVs box so ive been searching for the wrong thing :eek: DOH! Big DOH indeed!! :oops:

okey heres a link to the tv i use for playing games on http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/portable-tvs/proline-k1405.asp

but cant seem to find about the RGB thingy (real technical lingo i know!)

the tv is a ' PROLINE K1405 '.

Thanks again :smashin:

:thumbsup: