Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turtle Beach X07 & Polk 4 Shot

Discussion in 'Xbox One Hardware Forum' started by jjgreenwood, Dec 3, 2013.

1. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood Active Member

Ratings:
    +621
    XO7: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

I'm tempted to preorder these but not had any experience of this kind of product really. Is the sound a lot better than using my stereo speakers? Am I likely to have a proper surround experience ie hearing people shoot from behind etc. I assume the chat is superior to a normal headset?

4 Shot Xbox One Gaming Headset - Headphones | Polk Audio

This company talks a good game and I kinda like the aesthetic of not having the call centre look. Similar questions about these as I have never heard of polk audio before. Can't see them listed anywhere for the UK so will they get a release over here?
  2. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I contacted Lime about the Polk 4 Shot and mentioned that they may want to stock them as they were developed with MS. Sure enough they've added them to their site, but there's no release date or price, just a 'register your interest' button:

4 Shot Xbox One Gaming Headphones

I've just pre-ordered a pair from Amazon.com though. Release date is down for February 2014 so not that long to wait.
  3. bulletmagnet

bulletmagnet Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Polk audio make fantastic headphones .
  4. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    Is there a definite answer that these will be surround sound (dolby headphone or equivalent) or just regular stereo.
  5. louisg

louisg Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Seems people are ordering Polk headphones from Amazon.com as with delivery they are working out to be £127
  6. louisg

louisg Member

Ratings:
    +32
    No he
    No headphones are true surround sound, they both use clever sound techniques to mimic surround sound
  7. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    true to a point, what I mean was will these feature Dolby Headphone or equivalent or just be unprocessed stereo, ie not from the "surround" mix the game produces but only a stereo mix.

We do only have 2 ears so a genuine binural recording with proper headphone would possibly be better than a 5 speaker setup say but that is a discussion I am not qualified to really comment there.
  8. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    As I understand it the new headsets that are designed with XB1 in mind get their game and chat audio through the controller. It therefore depends what the console sends as to whether it's going to be simulated surround like the dolby headphone system that the Astro mixamp uses. I'm hoping that it is, the XB1 has some impressive dedicated audio hardware so should be capable of it and it's also got the bandwidth to send it to the controller now it's using wifi direct.

I want to get a decent headset asap that's designed for the Xbox One. With that in mind I'm going to take a gamble on the Polks. I've never had any Polk kit but from what I've read they make some good stuff. Astro have now become an official partner with MS and will be making an XB1 headset at some point, but god knows when it'll come out.
  9. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    I am also tempted to upgrade but given the whole audio thing seems a tad unfinished i am not in a rush to part with cash, I am also wondering if this adapter will become available and I can keep my cheapo Trittons, which are pretty iffy but have served me well so far.

Just brought the kit to do this mod so might see how it runs an then see whats what.
  10. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I want a change of system. At the moment I've got an astro mixamp and a Sennheiser PC360 headset. It's a cracking setup but the problem is that it has a lot of wires. When it was connected to my 360 there was an optical and a USB which goes from XBox to mixamp for sound and power respectively. My PC360 then plugged into the mixamp and then the chat cable came from the mixamp to the controller.

I didn't fancy any of the wireless solutions as that meant base stations and possible interference on whatever channel it was using and also keeping the batteries in the headset charged. With this next gen of headsets there's only going to be one wire from headset to controller and no batteries to be charged. The headset will get its power from the controller. I'm hoping this won't significantly affect the charge of the controller. If you think about it you can run a decent set of headphones from an iPod so they don't need much power to drive them.
  11. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    totally agree, if you check the polk listing on Amazon

Amazon.com: Polk Audio 4Shot Headphone - Black - Xbox One: Video Games

you can see an adapter is used, and I have seen that adapter in other places so I think it might be "the" fabled adapter Microsoft where talking about, in which case that might release 5.1 audio without the need for optical out and amps and wires to existing headsets as I assume it will be sold seperatly.

I want to get rid of the wires but I don't think I will rush in.
  12. Crib

Crib Previously Det

Ratings:
    +6,010
    Anyone know if there are any "completely" wireless headphones that will work with BOTH the PS4 and XB1 that won't break my bank?

i.e. without a chat cable (but if the only option is I have to have a chat cable then I would make do).
  13. jjgreenwood

Ratings:
    +621
    I've decided to bite the bullet and order the polk ones from the states, I've played it safe and gone for black although I was tempted by the other colours.
  14. stellamandude

stellamandude Active Member

Ratings:
    +386
    Bit of a long shot, but have they arrived yet ?

edit, never mind, just spotted the release date DOH !!!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  15. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I've got a set on order as well. On Amazon it's got the date down as the 14th of Feb I think, whereas every other site has them down for the end of March, beginning of April. Hope I don't have to wait that long, here's hoping Amazon are right!
  16. stellamandude

stellamandude Active Member

Ratings:
    +386
    I really don't know what to do !!!

Apart of me wants the Polks, love the "mic" design on them.
    Apart of me wants to wait for the "MS adaptor" allowing me to use my TB's.
    Apart of me is "hoping" that something will be made available allowing me to once again use my Warheads, and a truly wireless set up................

Decisions decisions decisions !!! :suicide:
  17. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Wait it out mate. I'll get the Polks when they're released and will let you know how good they are.

Both the polk and the turtle beach headsets will be using the adaptor. Polk say that you can use the headset as a set of cans as the mic folds up so you can use them with your phone mp3 player etc. To be able to do this they need a standard jack connection not the proprietary XB1 puck hardwired to the end of the cable so both headsets will come with an adaptor. From what I've read, to give them a bit of an advantage and to shift some units, they'll have an exclusive on the adaptor for a while (month or two I think), so you won't initially be able to buy an adaptor on its own, only with the Polk or TB headset.

I'll give you my opinion on the Polk 4 Shot when it comes through and then you can decide whether to go for one or wait for the adaptor. I should be able to do a comparison of the 4 Shot with my existing PC360 (if it works with the adaptor, don't think the PC360 is hard to drive, so the controller battery should be able to power it).
  18. barneystuta

barneystuta Member

Ratings:
    +381
    Xbox One Titanfall, Turtle Beach Headset | Complex

Here is an official Titanfall headset coming in March. It says backwards compatible, so assume it uses an adapter allowing it to be used on X1/360.

Hopefully not too far away now for the new adapters coming soon :)
  19. Hoot

Hoot Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That white one looks really nice. I'm planning on getting the x07, is it the same technology inside with just a different shell?
  20. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    The release date of the Polk 4 Shot has been a bit up in the air. Amazon have had Feb 14th down, but other sites have it for the end of March or the beginning of April. I'm not sure if this is conclusive or not, but the Microsoft store seems to be backing up the earlier Amazon date of 14th of Feb :thumbsup:

Buy Polk Audio 4 Shot Xbox One Gaming Headset (Green) - Microsoft Store

This is the US date. No idea when it'll be available here so I've decided to import from Amazon.com.

Having said that, here's a video from Polk at CES and the girl says March for the 4 Shot :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  21. jjgreenwood

Ratings:
    +621
    Glad I went with Black - they look really good in the video. Amusing she wears a sony lanyard while promoting MS gear.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. shuflie

shuflie Member

Ratings:
    +55
    if the 4 shot is anywhere close to the sound quality of the ultrafocus 8000 you are in for a treat when you get it.
  23. jjgreenwood

Ratings:
    +621

The titanfall headset is based on the more basic turtlebeach stuff and it looks like you'll pay £50 for the amplifier and the licencing. The XO7 looks like its worth the extra cash to me and it does look exceedingly comfortable.
  24. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    With these early headsets it looks like it's a shootout between the XO7 and the 4 Shot. Iv'e decided to go with the 4 Shot as it's made by a dedicated audio company that makes some high end stuff, but the XO7 looks good as well and has 50mm drivers versus the 40mm ones in the 4 Shot so might sound better.

My 4 Shot Amazon.com order is now saying that it's been delayed and that they need more time to calculate the delivery date. The product page is still saying Feb 14th, but I think it's been pushed back to March now. It seems that MS aren't getting the audio adaptor out that the headsets need to plug into and that's what's delaying things at the moment.
  25. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,241
  27. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    None of these new headsets use optical though. With the new setup the console outputs game and chat audio to the controller and your headset plugs into your controller only. Your controller is therefore similar to the mixamp setup on the 360. The new headsets also draw their power from the controller so no need to keep charging them.

The question now is will the XB1 output dolby headphone game audio to the controller? Most of these new headsets are stereo headsets. Dolby Digital 5.1 therefore does nothing for them. It was important on the 360 'cause the mixamp then converted the DD5.1 into a dolby headphone signal which is a very clever 'simulated' surround sound on a stereo headset (and IMO works very well). There are headsets out there with multiple drivers that can use a 5.1 signal, but I've not seen amazing reviews of them and in my experience I've gotten amazing positional sound from dolby headphone and stereo headset.
  28. iwb100

iwb100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,241
    Woah, really? That is news to me. Any links to info on that? I thought it was just a different adapter to get the chat audio through?
  29. KirkSi

KirkSi Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Yeah, that's definitely the case. If you look at the product description section on the Amazon page (Amazon.com: Polk Audio 4Shot Headphone - Black - Xbox One: Video Games) there's diagrams that say:

Designed specifically for the Xbox One for wireless gaming audio and chat.

Connect wirelessly. One cable runs from the 4 Shot headset to the wireless gaming adapter, which connects wirelessly to the Xbox One.

The diagram also shows how it'll work. This will be the case for both the 4 Shot and the Turtle Beach XO7. Both will connect to the controller, get their power from it and also get chat and game audio through it. With the controller now using a new wireless protocol they've increased the bandwidth from console to controller 20 fold. This means they can now send game audio to the controller as well as chat. This is taken from an article on Kotaku (How The Xbox One Controller Has Changed):

The internal wireless protocol that allows the controller to communicate with the console has been overhauled from the 360 era, replacing a 1.6 megabit per second connection of the old one with a modified WiFi protocol for the new one that enables 20 times the bandwidth which, in turn, Alam said, "allows a whole different variety of different accessories we can build with the controller and around the controller."

The XB1 has a kick ass sound chip so I'm hoping that it'll output some seriously great sound. I'm also hoping that it's in Dolby Headphone format (or a similar simulated surround format).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  30. jjgreenwood

Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks Kirksi I think I'm going to cancel the amazon.com order if it looks like the polk will be available here. I saw a while back they had picked up an eu distributer so hopefully we should get it same sort of time.