Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable problem - Aiwa PX-E850

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by commodorejohn, Aug 16, 2007.

1. commodorejohn

commodorejohn Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As stated in the thread title, I have an Aiwa PX-E850 turntable that I got at a garage sale. It worked just fine for about a week, then a light object got dropped on it and it stopped working. With a little coaxing, it started working again, but instead of playing at 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM, it played at 45 RPM and...somewhere around 55-60 RPM, I'd guess. After looking inside to try and figure out what was wrong, I gave up and went to bed. The next morning, it was working fine except for one brief hiccup back to high speed. It then worked fine for about another week and a half, but yesterday, for no apparent reason (unlike before, when there was an object dropped on it,) it went back to playing too fast and hasn't gone back to normal since. I've looked inside again, and nothing seems damaged or out of place - there's no wires crossed that I can see, and the speed switch is just fine.

Has anyone had this problem with this model or a similar model turntable? Has anyone figured out how to fix it? I've located a PDF of the service manual, but it doesn't seem to have any troubleshooting information, just an exploded view of the turntable with a parts list. I'd just buy a new one, but I'd rather not pay $20-30 if I can fix it myself.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Caralfa

Caralfa Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What was the light object that dropped on it? Lightning? :rotfl:
  3. commodorejohn

commodorejohn Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A game controller, one of those cheapo NES clone controllers. Couldn'tve weighed more than four ounces.
  4. commodorejohn

commodorejohn Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Should've mentioned this earlier, but I know the problem is in the circuitry somewhere; it's not a belt problem, the motor is actually spinning faster than it should be.