Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying To Learn Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Musicians' Forum' started by Spacedeck, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ^^^

:smashin:
  2. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Any of you know a possible way to upload audio of my BlackBerry onto here so can keep you guys informed on my progress?
  3. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    You can get an app called Amplitube for iPhone that has a recorder, don't know if there's such a thing as that for Blackberry.
  4. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I can record on the BB via voice notes and I should be able to transfer them to the PC. It's just knowing what upload sites to use mainly. And also which support that file type.
  5. reformz

reformz Member

Ratings:
    +28
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Well paypad is upon us next week. I've been thinking about what people say about the benefit of having a teacher. So was just wondering how did you lot go about booking a teacher to help you? Problem is I don't have any transport so would be a taxi job if anything. But maybe want to look into it and get me learning better.
  7. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I just looked on the Internet and found one only 3 or 4 miles from me, awkward if you haven't got a car though.

Not cheap either, mine cost me £20 for an hours lesson, so I have to limit myself to one a fortnight.

Do find it useful though, for instance I was struggling with some of the stretches, just couldn't get my fingers to reach on something like the start of Alright Now

He told me just to move my thumb down a bit and change my wrist position and I could do it, not easily at first, but it's getting better. It's something so obvious after I knew about it, but not something I'd ever picked up from a book. Also, he's only an email away between lessons if I need to ask anything else.

If you can't find a teacher local enough to be convenient, check out some online lessons, lots of good stuff out there and a lot of it's free.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I think I may have found someone who is around 1.9 miles away from me. Still yet to contact him. Seems ok. Its from the music teachers website. Was wondering when you go to your teacher for your lessons what do you take with you?just your guitar and amp? Not even sure this could work at the moment with having next to no transport. And can't get a direct buss route to where he is.
  9. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    It's only 2 miles!! You could walk it easily :)

All I take with me is my guitar, I did take my lead the first time, but he had a lead/amp anyway.

First lesson, he spent a few minutes asking what sort of music I wanted to play, which guitarists I liked etc... So he could tailor the lessons around that.
  10. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Haha yea but my worry is if it rains. Had heavy rain last few days.

Going to call on Saturday when I have more time but want to make a list of questions I could do with asking towork out if he's going to be a good choice. Any suggestions on what to ask?
  11. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I have absolutely no idea what makes a good guitar teacher, so wouldn't have a clue what to ask :)

My original plan was to have one lesson, just to get me pointed in the right direction, holding the pick properly, strumming technique, stuff like that....

Ended up finding it so helpful, interesting and fun, I've just kept going (had 7 lessons so far). In one way I'm hoping it starts to get boring so I want to stop going and save myself some money :rotfl:
  12. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I've started using my little finger more which makes it so much easier:smashin:

About this teacher not sure if I can do this but I got to him from here Music Teachers.co.uk - Mr Carl Wallis BA (Hons)

Not exactly sure how good his music course was (did look at his course online) but I would guess he'd have to be pretty damn good to pass.
  13. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Introductory half price lesson has to be good :)

Give it a go and see how you get on. Like I said, I have no idea what makes a good teacher, I don't even know if my guy is good, but he seems to suit me and I seem to be learning stuff, so that'll do for me :)

As for using your little finger, the sooner you get used to using it the better, you'll soon find there's stuff where you have to use it whether you want to or not :)
  14. reformz

reformz Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Definitely get used to using your little finger, i spent my first few months playing without using it and struggled so much. It was only when i started to play technical death metal that i realized how much easier it makes things.
    Also, have you tried watching someone play and learning from them, or watching vids on youtube that give you lessons to see how you cope?

Like i said in an earlier post people learn in different ways and you dont want to waste money paying for lessons if you can't learn like that. Like me, i find it impossible to learn something with someone sitting there telling me what to do
  15. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Like reformz says, check out YouTube, lots of good stuff on there (lots of rubbish too to be fair!) or Justinguitar, loads of good stuff on there right from the very basics to more complex stuff, won't cost you a penny either :)

Lessons aren't for everyone, I normally hate being taught anything and like I said before I really only planned on having one lesson, maybe I just got lucky with my teacher.

Try different methods, lessons, online books and see what suits you best.
  16. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    :clap:Phoned up today and got my first lesson next Saturday at 12.

Seems a decent bloke, he has amps so just need my guitar pretty much so makes things easier. He charges 20 quid an hour so should hopefully get to pick up and a few things while there and if it's good enough I will be looking at going again:smashin:
  17. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Nice one :)

£20 per hour seems to be the going rate then.

Like you say, go once you should hopefully pick up some tips and if it's not for you, no need to go back.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Well on my way home now. And Iall I can say is I won't be going back! No offence to him and he can play a guitar cause he proved it but he just isn't teaching material. He doesn't really know the basics on what he should be teaching me. He was showing me things like pull offs on his guitar and when I didn't get it right he still said it was good. He told me what I should work on and while he said what I should work on he just showed me again on his guitar rather then taking the time to make sure my hand / fingers are correctly positioned. So think personally I'd tather just teach myself now unless I come accross a really good teacher.
  19. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    No point sticking with a teacher you aren't happy with.

From what you say he certainly doesn't sound that good.

Didn't you say you were a complete beginner? If so, I'd have thought pull offs weren't the sort of things you need to be learning just yet.

My tutor normally shows me something once or twice, so I know what I'm supposed to do then I do it and he'll correct anything I'm doing wrong. Then play it through together until he knows I've got the hang of it, or he can see I'm getting too frustrated then we move on to something else, just to keep things interesting and come back to what I had trouble with later.

Like I said before, maybe I just got lucky first time, as I have no idea what makes a good guitar teacher :)

Did you ever check out Justinguitar.com? There's a really great beginners course on there which will teach you right from scratch.
  20. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    No but will be checking it out from now on! He asked me if I had experience playing and I told him I'd never even played an acoustic.

He just said everything I did was good even when I knew 100% I was hitting the wrong string!

My brother is going to a music shop on tuesday night at 8 who also are teacher. They did say its a 30 min lesson per week and they won't teach you songs, they just teach you positioning and chords ect... But yea I am not impressed and I won't bother wasting my money.
  21. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Justinguitar has just bought out a really good beginners songbook too, which has around 100 songs from really easy basic songs for the absolute beginner right up to some more challenging stuff.

All the songs come with recommended strumming patterns too, which I find really useful.

I've bought his two Really Useful Strumming Techniques downloads too, which are tying in niceley with the advanced strumming patterns I'm learning with my real life teacher too.
  22. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I will look into the things you can buy from Justinguitar tonight.

I have to confess though I have become lazy and hardly touch my guitar now! Mainly because its dificult teaching myself. All I've done so far is try learn the 3 basic chords and then switch from one to another but it is hard. I don't know, I find it hard teaching myself but I don't have transport to try anyone else and I'd rather not waste any more money. I guess ill just have to stick with it and get stuck in for about half an hour or so a day. Cause at the moment I'm getting nowhere! :(

Plus I've started up cross stitch again and that takes up time.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  23. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Try working through the beginners course on Jusringuitar, won't cost you a penny, unless you want to donate or buy something.

I know from my own experience, it can be very painful and frustrating at the start :)

Most people say it's better to practice as often as possible, even if it's only 10-15mins a day, rather than doing a few hours once a week.

Stick with it, the pain does go away once your fingers get used to it, might take a while though :)
  24. Spacedeck

Spacedeck Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Its not the case of my fingers hurting mate because they arnt too bad. Its just knowing what to do, where to start, how long to stay in that area for and then things like what to do next. I am using that tutorial and like I said I've. Got as far as learning the first 3 chords he says and then to try switch bewteen them.
  25. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Don't get too hung up on the one minute chord changes, that's something you cam practice a bit each day.

Just move onto the next section.

I still get very frustrated, despite having lessons. I've got loads of learning books and plenty of tab books and I can't really play anything out of the tab books :)

With the teaching books, I think I've got too many, I keep chopping and changing between them, I really should stick with just one.
  26. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92 Active Member

Ratings:
    +511
    I'm also thinking about trying to learn guitar, would you guys say go for learning acoustic first or straight for electric? (I prefer to throw myself in at the deep end and if I can't do it then I go back to basics lol)
    is there much point in learning electric without getting an amp? or is an amp 100% purchase?

Would it be possible to play that on an electric guitar, without it being plugged in? I'm a total noob at guitar, never had a lesson or anything
    P.s Sorry for hijacking :blush:Would love to be able to play this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsXTP83c-4Q&feature=related

EDIT: Song actually starts at 0.40
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  27. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I've never played an accoustic, but apparently it's a lot harder to press the strings down than an electric which will possibly make it slightly harder to learn?

You can learn electric without an amp, it does make a sound, but it's much more satisfying when you can actually here what you're playing through an amp.

A cheap practice amp shouldn't be too expensive.
  28. NooBish AbbZ 92

Ratings:
    +511
    Had a quick look and foudn 2 for under £30. One was I think 6x11 cm, the other 6.5 inch. Are they really that small? I've only seen quite large amps, as in, a similar size to a desktop computer tower
  29. Goooner

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I'm sure you can get ones that small :)

Depends on your budget really, if you're only starting out you don't want to be spending a fortune, in case you find you don't like learning guitar.

I've only been learning around 4 months, I've got a cheap Marshall amp, it's not great and it's got limited controls, but it's good enough for me to practice with, without being too loud to upset the wife/neighbours :rotfl:

Now I've decided I do enjoy it, I'll be looking to upgrade both my guitar and my amp at some stage.
  30. NooBish AbbZ 92

Ratings:
    +511

Apparently my grandad may still have an old guitar (not sure whether acoustic/electric) so I'll have to phone him later on and have a chat; would be great if I could borrow that for a while before I start speniding money at all :p If I could I'd probably try and find a guitar that could be used as both electric/acoustic so I've got a choice :)

Where do you get your tabs from? And do you use websites to self-teach/lessons/combination?
    I've just had a quick look for a guide to all the strings/frets etc. but it's all using complicated words I don't understand so any links, I'd be appreciative of :)