1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with traffic shaping

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by simplicity96, Feb 19, 2012.

1. simplicity96

simplicity96 Active Member

Ratings:
    +582
    Has anyone else had this? This is on all ftp downloads but legal. Myself and a few work colleagues rent some servers for files etc that need to be passed. This has never been a issue in the past but just lately I cant get any speed from the ftp but all speeds otherwise are fine. Even while this is happening. Sky claim they aren't shaping my traffic but I have reports and test results to say otherwise.

Does anyone else have this with sky. In all honesty it makes me want to move away from them and asap. I cant have this effect my work like this, have been with sky for years too
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    Sky don't traffic shape, sure the problem isn't elsewhere?
  3. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    Certain. I can set a download from a alternate source going at the same time and speed be fine. I can also bring up the server stats at the same time and those be showing normal (is on a 100 Mbit line also) there are no worries about speed. Had others grab at the same time as me and the traffic show normal to them just mine restricted.

As I say everything points to sky especially seems its only been a recent thing and it only effects one type of traffic.
  4. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,613
    Argued with Sky for 3 months over this very thing and eventually left for Virgin BB.
  5. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    Im glad to hear its not just me. They are still adamant this is not going on though.
  6. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    +3,613
    I had the same, no matter how many logs and details I sent to them Sky remained adamant that the issue was internal and not their network.

They sent an engineer to the exchange to swap the card, this resulted in me having my phone line cut off for 10 days, absolute PITA.

In the end I had a 100Mbit Virgin line installed along side the Sky line and ran the same tests, no throttling with Virgin yet the Sky line remained throttled.

I kept on at them for 3 months and in the end I just cancelled the sky line.

Hope you get this resolved as I know your pain.
  7. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    Its a shame we dont have cable laid where I am or id shift over. Ive got a few tests now with results im going to be sending them and also what ever governing body I can over the advertisement of unthrottled traffic when they are clearly doing it.

For my line I dont think it will make a difference but maybe they will get looked into and forced to stop claiming something they aren't doing. I will sadly be moving from them myself it looks like as they are denying it still with me and its really begining to affect my work :(

I would just like for honesty really to be able to make a informed decision..
  8. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    +3,613
    Throughout Sky claimed the network is unlimited and unthrottled, my results proved the contrary.

The final nail in the coffin was when I had an independant telecom engineer visit the property to check all the internal wiring and he confirmed no faults or errors internally.

BT Confirmed that the line from the Pole to the property was fine and no error on the line from the exchange, Sky said they moved me to another card and also replaced the original card and yet the throttling remained.

I'm no expert when it comes to the ISP infrastructure but one thing I do know is FTP from the same server using Virgin has been rock solid as Sky used to be for the many years I had it.

When you say you don't have cable laid, does that include the BT Fibre?
  9. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    I have been told I can have infinity at a possible speed of 24mb. Its a premium price also for that (nearly £50 a month) so am guessing truer lines are laid but that isn't true fibre...

No real cable laid and virgin isn't a option sadly
  10. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    +3,613
    That's a shame mate, the £50 premium for a possible 24MB is outrageous.

Best thing to do is ask people who have a similiar usage to you on the forums in the same area what they think of their ISP and jump to that one.

Hope you get this resolved, my ordeal with Sky brought back 33.6K Modem days with Telewest, AOL
  11. buckle247

buckle247 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Who said it would be £50 a month?
    Unlimited infinity is only £25 a month + £10 line rental?

Not sure what you mean by no truer lines? But infinity is run on true 100% fibre optic to the cabinet, then on copper to the house.
  12. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    Fibre it meant to say. Smart phone thinking its smart.

And the unlimited is more than that on infinity, it was bt themselves who told me the price when I rang.

Also bt infinity is only fibre from the exchange or connection point not the entire network. This gives it flaws.
  13. buckle247

buckle247 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Check BT.com. £20 for 3 months then up to £25 after that + line rental.

As my post said before its fibre to the cab then copper to house. This is very similar to how the majority of VM's network runs. I'm not sure if they even do fibre to the house like bt do in some places?
    Infinity will be upto 80mb soon, and BT are known to under estimate infinity. Some people have been predicted 27mb and got the full 40mb.
    Try the speedchecker on their website, if that says 24, i'd be suprised if you got less than 30mb tbh.
  14. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    I see what you mean but when I spoke to them about a week ago the price came out at £47. Its what put me off them. And I gave the gentleman my phone number he reckoned to check my lines capabilities.

That and I know they do traffic shape on normal service so expect they will on infinity soon if they dont already.

Maybe ill look at them again....
  15. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    +3,613
    Nor do I, but:

[​IMG]

If your willing to take the risk simplicity then just order from the BT website for the reduced cost, sounds like you may have had a lemon on the phone.

Also, BT and the rest are always conservative when it comes to giving estimated speed over the phone, I think it's so they can cover themselves as that should be the lowest you get.

Good luck mate
  16. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    What about bt's known traffic shaping though? Aren't I just going to end up in the same boat there....
  17. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    +3,613
    I would ask people in the BT Fibre section if they use FTP and also any traffic shaping they experience.

Unfortunately until your on a service you don't truly know, you can cancel though within a period.
  18. buckle247

buckle247 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    None that I know off. Just tested a 11mb file on filezilla to my webspace. Upload speed was flicking between 700kb-1mb. Download was at over 4mb/s

AFAIK only P2P gets throttled
  19. brain_stew

brain_stew Member

Ratings:
    +38
    P2P is the only thing shaped on Infinity. I've no idea how you came up with a £50 premium for Infinity, unlimited is currently £26 per month with cheaper line rental than Sky (if you pay upfront for the year). You'll get a lot more than the estimated 24Mb, I'd be shocked if you got less than 30Mb and you'll get around a 10x faster upload speed.

BT use a mix of copper and fibre in their network, just like Virgin.
  20. simplicity96

Ratings:
    +582
    I didn't the man on the phone quoted me that. Did mention previous.
  21. wormvortex

wormvortex Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Virgin is fibre and then coaxial as opposed to Opereaches twisted copper pair.

But yeah technically it's both copper :D