Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba RDXV47 - satellite link

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Woodfur, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Woodfur

Woodfur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello I have just got a Toshiba RD-VX47 DVD/HDD recorder and I'm a little confused as to what the Satellite link button does. Apparently it "can start recording when the sky box switches on" however when I press the button on the remote nothing happens. Can anyone shed any light on this one? Is this how you can get your HDD recorder to act like Sky+?
    Thanks for your help!
  2. Completenewbie

Completenewbie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Woodfur

I'm extremely sorry that I can't assist you with your query regarding the Satellite link button on your new Toshiba RD-VX47 DVD/HDD recorder. I hope it's not too much trouble, but I'm trying to help out a good friend who is considering purchasing the same model as yours and I have a few questions which you might be able to answer ? Incidentally, I've had a quick look at the user opinion section on Amazon's web-site relating to this recorder and the general opinion of the RD-VX47 seems favourable, with the exception of comments concerning an overly-complicated instruction manual and a poor remote control handset !
    Here's the problem: My friend has an elderly neighbour who wants to have some treasured old VHS tapes transferred to DVD, because his old VHS recorder has gone kaput ! My friend would obviously like to assist his neighbour and at the same time is toying with the idea of upgrading his existing LG VHS Recorder/DVD player combo. Firstly, could I ask you if you have been pleased so far with the results from the Toshiba and is it easy to use ? Secondly, if I have understood correctly, the RD-VX47 doesn't appear to have a digital Freeview tuner built in, so does this mean my friend would have to connect his existing Freeview box into the back of the RD-VX47
    somehow ? Lastly, would this mean that he would have to watch the same programme as he is recording, because this is precisely the scenario he is trying to avoid. Anyhow, I trust you can help with some of these questions, so many thanks in advance.

Regards, Richard
  3. Woodfur

Woodfur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,

Well so far I have found it very easy to use, we set it up in about 15 mins, it has inputs (Scart) for your TV, sky/freeview and external equiptment (like a camcorder) and I made a couple of recordings onto the HDD and I have just set the timer to "tape" a couple of things. I think the good thing about it is that I did have a habit of taping all sorts of stuff onto different tapes because I couldn't find the one I wanted at the time and with this I can tape them onto the HDD then sort them out before I out them onto DVD... but I haven't tried this yet.

With regards to taping off freeview, at the moment I have to tape off the channel I'm on just like on my old video recorder...but I have heard that if you buy a freeview box with a duel tuner this may avoid that situation... but that's why I was asking about the Satellite link, because it may be able to do something clever that I just can't figure out (like allow you to tape a freeview channel you're not on)!

Hope that helps!:)
  4. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    most dvd recorders only have a single tuner , so this does not allow watching one channel and recording another, to do that its usually best to have a freeview tv , or a tv with an additional freeview box

that way your recorder does 1 job and you watch something else

an alternative is to have sky plus for sky or V+ if you are on cable

a proper twin tuner pvr can do what you want , record one channel and you watch another channel , and there are a few of these around , the best being the humax 9200t , bur these do not have their own dvd , so you need a dvd recorder if wanting to record onto dvd from them

not sure if this helps your question but it may help you to deal with what you have got
  5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +705
    I would guess that the user must have a a satellite box connected with a timer that switches the satellite box on and, if satellite link is enabled,this also initiates recording on the Tosh.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  6. Completenewbie

Completenewbie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Woodfur & others,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my questions. It would seem that the Toshiba RD-VX47 is perfectly capable of transferring my friend's neighbour's VHS tapes to DVD, but less than ideal for recording off-air Freeview programmes whilst watching something else !
    I am assuming that in order to be able to use the timer-function of the Toshiba, his Freeview tuner would need to be a) turned on & b) tuned into the desired Freeview channel ?
    In that case, does anybody know of a company which produces a twin-tuner Freeview box ???

Best regards
    Richard
  7. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    there are many twin tuner pvr hdd recorders ( but not dvd recorders )

one of the best is the humax 9200t , but there are others like topfield etc

note these dont have a dvd recorder or dvd player though

I use the sony 970b recorder myself , which has analogue and digital tuners , and watch the tv tuner or a satellite box when the recorder is busy recording
  8. Completenewbie

Completenewbie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ramjet

Do you know if there are any Twin-Tuner Freeview boxes on the market, NOT Twin-Tuner HDD PVR's etc.

Best regards
    Richard
  9. ramjet

ramjet New Member

Ratings:
    +676
    I doubt it as there would be little point as you cannot watch 2 channels at once
  10. Woodfur

Woodfur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me Chris, I guess my confusion comes because I do have a sky box connected to the Toshiba, but the satellite button doesn't seem to do anything... and there doesn't seem to be any clear instructions on where I need to plug the Sky box to get it to work. But I thought knowing what the satellite link is supposed to do might give me a hint!

So you think when you press the satellite link button it starts a timer to record?