1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 42WLT66/47WLT66 Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by marty2005, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachstrad

Bachstrad Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Neil, I'm so pleased you're pleased with your purchase! As you know I was really concerned you were trying to talk your self out of buying it!

You've obviously got a good one, please stop looking for problems now and enjoy!

Be prepared to be blown away when you feed it 1080i from Sky HD! If that's the HD source you're going with.

Calibration with the DVE disc will also make difference too!

ATB

Max
  2. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its only natural to look for problems especially as this TV does have history.

BTW we are looking to move to Sky HD after Xmas is there a demo channel or not, I suppose there is not as you need the box to get the full HD so it would be pointless?.

Also looking forward to trying it with the Toshiba upscaling DVD when it arrives.

Any of you guys know of any good quaility screen cleaner for the LCD TV's, there are so many to chose from but I am asking incase anyone has found a good one.
  3. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement pedestal stand for a 42wlt66 ?
    The panel on my TV has gone kapputt and I am returning it for a straight replacement...but I didn't keep the pedestal stand (it's mounted on a Alphason stand - when it was working :D )

Now, I am going to ask EmpireDirect if I can take the pedestal stand off the new one and give it back with the broken TV, but if the kick up a fuss (maybe??) then I'd rather try and replace it myself than let them charge me over the odds for one.

Any help appreciated !

Cheers

Ged
  4. mbrighton

mbrighton Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've got one... but it's in bits - undid the wrong screws when wall mounting mine.:(
    I'm also a bit worried I may need to send mine back at some point in the future.:rolleyes:
    This is my second set cos the first one went kapput.
  5. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Yes. That's what I did....but my parents decided to through the stand in the bin instead of keeping hold of it ! :suicide:

If I got hold of another one, I wouldn't be throwing it out again. :)
    I'll see what Empire say when I speak to them....tomorrow, hopefully.
  6. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Max/Gadget Freak... I have noticed that on DVD's there is occasional very slight bluring on very fast movement and maybe not 100% perfect picture. I dont know if there are any settings that can be adjusted to improve this. I am using a high quality scart lead and am using the RGB Scart socket in the TV to connect to.
    I am also waiting for delivery of the Toshiba upscaling DVD player, the same one that you have Max, will the picture be much better using this DVD player or is it unlikey to be any better.
  7. Bachstrad

Bachstrad Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Neil - I got my SD360E at the same time as my TV and it's connected on HDMI 2, I've had no blurring issues at all. Obviously I haven't connected anything by Scart, as I haven't needed too.

In the interim, the only thing I could suggest is to try switching the video processing options on or off in the settings menu. There are various suggested settings posted earlier in this thread which you can try. I tried these initially, (before getting my DVE disc), I noticed an improvement which led me to buy the DVE calibration disc. Best to make a note of the 'out of the box' settings, so that you can always return to them if you cock the job up!

I've never seen the blocking, blurring and other artifacts on Sky HD that people often refer to on the Forums. The only blocking I've ever seen has been on ITV SD, during an 'I'm a Celeb' transmission. I think I've mentioned before, I'm not into gaming, so I can't offer an opinion on any consoles hooked up to my Tosh.

ATB

Max
  8. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Max, dont get me wrong the DVD picture is great but occasionally the picture can vary slightly but having the 47 inch may have something to do with it as its a bigger screen. I am sure when I run the DVE disc through it it will be better, I have fiddled with a couple of the settings, DNR and the MPEG but it dont seem to make any effect on the picture at all.

I was watching a bit of the cricket earlier on Sky SD and what I did notice was the grass did not look natural and also the ball looked strange when it was moving over the grass. Is this just the way LCD TV's display these sorts of broadcasts or could this indicate a problem. I am only using a basic scart lead on Sky so maybe this is not helping as I need to get a better quality one, also I have Sky plugged into the second scart socket which is not RGB but not sure if any of this will make that much of a difference. Does this sound a problem to you and does the HD version look perfect.

BTW are both HDMI sockets in the TV Identical as according to the manual one has a slightly different spec to the other so I assume when I get my DVD player its best to connect up to HDMI 2 like you have or wont it make a difference.

Also does BBC1 HD show the same programs as normal BBC1 as looking at the programs on the HD channel on sky it appears to have different programs to SD version.
  9. Gadget Freak

Gadget Freak Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Neil,

Using a scart lead you are either connecting one of three ways, composite (the worst), S video (next best), RGB (the best that scart can offer). Each provides an incremental improvement. Component and HDMI however are both better than RGB scart. Which one of the scart options your using will depend on what pins are connected within the lead and what your equipment can accept. Add to this equation that the quality of the scart lead will also come into play.

If you want decent results get rid of the scart and use one of the other options and if that happens to be component, pay around £25 to get a decent lead. Switch off DNR and MPEG NR with dvd's unless the dvd is poor in which case switch on MPEG NR to 'low'.

The HDMI sockets are identical I believe.
  10. Uzeless

Uzeless Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I currently have the Goodmans 1080p LCD TV and am having to send it back to Currys due to backlight buzz. They will exchange it for anything else and I was looking at this Tosh (I know it's 1080i).
    To save me scouring the 180 odd pages, can anyone confirm if the backlight is quiet? Also, do the VGA\component and HDMI sockets accept HD signals or is it just the HDMI?

Thanks, Scott.
  11. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    BBC HD only shows specific HD content.
    It's only occasionally shows the same programs as BBC1 SD, when they have an HD equivalent to broadcast (e.g. Planet Earth, Robin Hood etc).

The BBC HD channel is only a trial for now. If/When it becomes a permanent channel, then I would guess the content/schedule would match.
  12. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The backlight is quiet. You shouldn't hear any sort of noise from it.
    Not sure about the VGA/Component sockets for HD content?
    I would have thought the HDMI socket would be the only way to view HD content on the TV, but I'm not 100% sure.
    I have read of other people connecting their PC's to the TV, but I would have assumed they used a HDMI socket.
    Hopefully, someone else can clear this up.
  13. Uzeless

Uzeless Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the reply. The Goodmans accepts 1080p signals via Component, HDMI and VGA and it can be had for under a grand. Unfortunately, many people (including myself) love the pictures the set gives but are having trouble with backlight buzz, banding and the fact that the new sets do not accept an RGB signal via SCART, only composite (ugh).
  14. Gadget Freak

Gadget Freak Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Uzeless,

I've been told by Toshiba that the Tosh accepts a 1080i signal over component. I've also read that it can display the same resolution over VGA. At least someone claimed to have got 1080i over VGA, I can't remember if it was on this thread or not.
  15. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all that Gadget Freak. BTW When you place your hand close to the screen mine gives out a fair bit of heat, I assume thats normal.
  16. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the real advantage of getting Sky HD at present, it costs a tenner a month more and if the channels are not showing all the programs it makes it a little pointless.
  17. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The channels are showing HD content....but I suppose, some are showing SD content as well (Sky One HD, Sports1&2 HD, etc).
    But, when they do show HD content, it is amazing !! :thumbsup:
    As I've said previously, Planet Earth on BBC HD is fantastic - worth it alone, I reckon ! (Yes....I know BBC HD is a Free To Air HD channel !)
    But also, the footy is amazing, 24 was brilliant as well.

There are more and more programs being broadcast in HD....albeit slowly, but for £10 a month, I think it's worth it. I mean, £10...what is that in real terms? 3 or 4 pints? a bottle of wine (or 2 if you buy the cheap stuff :D ). A takeaway pizza/chinese etc.
    If you'd got a HD ready TV (pref one that supports 1080i/p), then I think that's a good enough reason to get it. Why let all that technology go to waste? :D

At the end of the day, if you can't justify it for yourself right now, then don't bother. But, I reckon once you do switch, there are certain things you won't want to watch in SD again...and you'll notice the difference when you watch something on someone elses SD TV !
  18. Gadget Freak

Gadget Freak Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Neil I have a gas heater so I've never tried to warm my hands by the telly :D

Quit worrying m8 or you'll develop an ulcer. :)
  19. delilah

delilah Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: have got my 47 '' toshhi now & it seems to be fine, couldnt see any of the mentioned probs when saw it working on hd & lesser signals when collecting it ..I have a toshiba dvd recorder came with it but I dont know if it upscales -s it was only £100 appx new, prob not --but the dvds I played look not bad at all though not as good as hd dvds [but until more to choose from is not worth getting an hd dvd playing box- & which format to go for? ]---analogue tv is poor but its a dreadful area no freeview so I am converted to sky hd already & will get it in jan hope special offers will resume I havent fiddled with the settings yet onky to find tv channels i have the internal signal amp & an external to get any picture.... :D all best deh
  20. Bachstrad

Bachstrad Member

Ratings:
    +267
    33p a day to see what your set can really do? It's a no brainer, IMHO!

That's aside from the fact that the SD channels (upscaled to 1080i) via the HD box are so much better too.

I think all your other questions have been answered since I last posted so I'll just agree with Gadget Freak and say sit back and enjoy and avoid the ulcer! :D

ATB

Max
  21. greenee

greenee Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Yes mine does that too, you can even economise with the central heating with this telly :D ........What can't it do ?
  22. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    1080p !! :D
  23. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Max, dont the TV try to upscale normal Sky SD to 1080i?
  24. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes ok for the winter but it might be hard work in the summer.
  25. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    But is there anything at the moment that will take advantage of 1080p, even the PS3 games are not being developed to that spec yet, but I may be wrong here.
  26. SimplyGed

SimplyGed Member

Ratings:
    +20
    It was meant as a joke....:rotfl: :rotfl:

I think HD DVD and BluRay are 1080p. And the XBox360.
    Whether there is content to show is another matter.
    But, anyway, this TV can't handle it.
    (But it can heat up your house....apparently)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Benedict

Benedict Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I've got 720p working over VGA (my laptop won't support 1080i resolution), but at 720p (and I assume 1080i as well) the colours are not displayed correctly. I think the set therefore expects a component signal rather than an RGB signal when it sees 720p or 1080i resolution on the VGA input.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. NEIL J JONES

NEIL J JONES Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Any of you guys have any idea why the quality of DVD's is not that great on the 47 inch. I am using a good quality DVD player and a high quality scart lead which is plugged into the RGB Scart but I am still not happy.
    If the DVD shows like landscape or a picture where there are lots of colours the quality is fantastic but on darker bakcgrounds there is lots of blocks of pixels moving around and a lot of noise. This is most noticeable when a close up of a face is shown and if you then look towards the background its a mass of moving pixel blocks.

I cant see how its the TV as on Freeview the quality is nothing short of excellent.

I have tried adjusting the MPEG and DNR setting's but no matter what I set them to the results are identical which I have found a bit surprising as I was expecting some difference.

Also sometimes it appears the picture is being viewed through a screen full of slight noise making the picture appear to be in the background.

I think the problem maybe is the large screen size is just to much, I remember reading a review in what TV and video and they commented that the picture was poor when playing DVD's on the 42 and 47 inch.

All I can hope is when my upscalling HDMI DVD player arrives it will improve things going via the HDMI socket but I dont have a lot of faith it will make much difference.

Also I may have banding as well. I was watching the cricket this morning and when the camera follows the ball runing on the grass I can see a vertical very dim grey coloured band around 4 inchs thick running down the screen. After looking a bit more there are other bands as well. This only appears on large green surfaces and it not visable on any other sports or other kinds of broadcasts.

So much for me being really happy when I first tried it on Tuesday, I thought I was celebrating too soon. This also means banding does come on and is not always there from the start as it certainly was not there when I watchd the cricket the other day.
  29. Jakus

Jakus Member

Ratings:
    +40
    DVD's when viewed on a good 40"+ LCD vary from terrible to Poor..IMO
    and that's on digital transfer all the way (no analogue scarts etc)

Without HD the best quality You will see on that TV is some BBC stuff and some ITV adverts on Freeview
  30. delilah

delilah Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Mine does the creepy background thing on dvds too - [& on analogue tv-which is a mass of noise anyhow due to poor signal] -but the faces & front detail in dvd are clear -the DVDs I copied myself by breaking down into files & removing the unnecessary language files etc & rescaled to fit the 4.5 dvd disks are more noticeable for background pixels lumped into blocks to carry less information than the full sixed commercially made bought ones - Rescaling takes detail from the amorphous background & bland monochrome areas of the picture to reduce the file sizes so I guess they must do the same on the commercial ones already but I had never noticed before on normal sized tv-...
    not seen any banding but not watched sports only to look for it once or twice- fingers xd -but if only on sports fields occasionally it may depend on the specs of the individual broadcast? Deh:hiya:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.