Toshiba 42WLT66/47WLT66 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital Direct is 42WLT66.

The T in the model number denotes the DVB-T tuner.

Hi

Is this the same set................

http://www.audiovisual123.co.uk/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=107

Seems a good price £799.99- but not heard of the vendors.

Any ideas?

Dave

This must be a "grey" import from Europe, it is definitely NOT the 42WLT66 as sold in the UK.

It is also available from "pixmania" who are, allegedly, well known for supplying "grey" imports. As "allanp" states, this TV is not full 1080 (only 1366 x 768) and has no digital tuner.

This TV should definitely be avoided in my opinion, at ANY price.

Graham.

The 42WL66Z is not the same as the 42WLT66.

By the looks of it, it doesn't have a digital tuner and it doesn't have the 1080x1920 panel either.

That isn't to say that £799 isn't a fantastic price for it!!

This must be a "grey" import from Europe, it is definitely NOT the 42WLT66 as sold in the UK.

It is also available from "pixmania" who are, allegedly, well known for supplying "grey" imports. As "allanp" states, this TV is not full 1080 (only 1366 x 768) and has no digital tuner.

This TV should definitely be avoided in my opinion, at ANY price.

Graham.
What's so bad with "Grey" imports?
The current UK version of this set is around £1300/1400 with digital tuner (worth £50/100) and the only other difference is the panel resolution (1366x768) which seems to be the norm for most panels available today, if you don't need the digital tuner (have an STB) then you could be saving up to £500 :thumbsup:

How come tosh wouldn't tell us the response times on the "L" but they will on the "Z"

The Z model being 8ms

How come tosh wouldn't tell us the response times on the "L" but they will on the "Z"

They did Glen, see one of my earlier posts for an email I received from Toshiba regarding response times. They quoted me the full cycle response time as being 16ms which would be 8ms the way that most other manufacturers measure it ie. half cycle.

Although ideally you shouldn't have to email them for this kind of information :rolleyes:

Can the panel help me with a minor problem?

I am in an area where we have a strong digital signal from a local transmitter (Midhurst) but can just about receive a weak signal from the Crystal Palace transmitter. For some reason, the very weak Palace signal has planted itself in the channel 3 slot (Midhurst is 802).

I have found out how to change the order with the channel up/down button (so 802 follows 1), but this doesn't help if the 3 button is pressed. Last night my MIL came over to Baby sit and she couldn't find ITV. Is there a solution to thi please?

For some reason, the very weak Palace signal has planted itself in the channel 3 slot (Midhurst is 802).
Is there a solution to thi please?

Try reinstalling the full download at a different time of day.

I've been experiencing vertical banding problems on both the 42wlt66's I've had. Due to the retailer I was dealing with going into administration, I have been dealing directly with Toshiba.

Finally, I managed to get a Tosh Area Technical Manager to come out and he told me that the bands are the panel acting within specification - it is not a fault with the set, but the fact that it is new technology! If you watch a lot of sports, then apparently this is not the set for you, but a set with a lower screen resolution.

I somehow find this hard to believe as the banding is apparent on all things, not just on sport. Also, I have not heard of this banding on other sets - hopefully I am now going to get my money back from Tosh directly. Time for the new Sony 40X series!

Gladders That sounds like a load of bull to me too. I have it but only on certain footy matches (not all) and then I have to go looking for it, so I can live with it.

If it were a limitation of the technology, all lcds would suffer with it. Also why is it worse on some sets than others, just like the off axis viewing angle is worse on some than others ? He's answer makes no sense at all. I've always thought there was a quality control issue with these sets and it looks as though it still hasn't been addressed. How long ago did you get your second set ?

The Comet engineer came today to have a look at the vertical banding problem on our Tosh. He could see it and said he will ring Toshiba on Monday to ask them if it is "normal". He reckons that we can see the banding because we sit too close to the TV - we actually sit around 10 to 12 feet away. He also said that you can see artefacts on big screens and all TVs have them. I told him that my cheap 20 inch LG LCD shows no sign of banding, shadows, off axis etc and he said it will have, but you can't see the banding etc because the screen is small! :rolleyes: It's in my bedroom and I only sit around 4ft away from it and however close I am to the screen, there are NO visible picture problems.

I doubt we''ll get much joy when he rings Toshiba, and if he rings back to tell us there's nothing wrong with the screen, we will ring Toshiba ourselves afterwards! :rolleyes:

Try reinstalling the full download at a different time of day.
Actually the fix is to delete all programmes and then add them back manually. You can select just the multiplex channels you want to scan. Easy really.

Rather annoyingly, once the local ITV is installed manually - if you then manually add the weaker ITV, it replaces the stronger one at position 3.

Now this might just be my DVD player, but when in 1080i mode the edges of the fish in finding nemo are very jaggied. I have tried numerous DVDs and they all look very jaggie set to 1080i. When in 720p mode everything is BEAUTIFUL. It's also better than 480p.

Maybe the DVD player is only good enough to upscale to 720p??

It's only a £130 machine (Pioneer DV-696) so that probably explains it.
glen8 - I am experiencing exactly the same upscaling aterfacts with my 696 and 42WLT66 @ 1080i. Out of interest, is the replacement TV any better in this respect, or are you continuing to upscale to 720p?

gladders

what is banding, I have 2 vertical lines down both sides about 4 " in each side, you only really notice it when watching sport, football, cricket etc when the camera pans across, have had it for a while its my 2nd 47wlt as the first one had a line down the middle, set was from the same batch which is another reason why I have waited a couple of months.

He reckons that we can see the banding because we sit too close to the TV - we actually sit around 10 to 12 feet away. He also said that you can see artefacts on big screens and all TVs have them. I told him that my cheap 20 inch LG LCD shows no sign of banding, shadows, off axis etc and he said it will have, but you can't see the banding etc because the screen is small! :rolleyes: It's in my bedroom and I only sit around 4ft away from it and however close I am to the screen, there are NO visible picture problems.
I agree with him on the artifacts as the pixels on you 20" LCD will be much smaller, but he is talking out of his arse on the banding, shadows and off axis etc.

This banding issue is starting to be a bit of a pain and TV & Video Direct aren't helping, their engineer still says it's within specification and will send back the original set after recouping the courier costs !!

Tried to explain the whole thing about not everyone is experiencing this problem and that means the set is faulty, doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

Thinking about returning it, not sure how they will handle this as their service hasn't been great up to this point.

I see some of those who have contacted Toshiba directly are also getting the whole "it's a limitation of LCD's", still really want this set, otherwise might have to look elsewhere and finding a 1080i set at this price point is a tad difficult.

This banding issue is starting to be a bit of a pain and TV & Video Direct aren't helping, their engineer still says it's within specification and will send back the original set after recouping the courier costs !!

Tried to explain the whole thing about not everyone is experiencing this problem and that means the set is faulty, doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

Thinking about returning it, not sure how they will handle this as their service hasn't been great up to this point.

I see some of those who have contacted Toshiba directly are also getting the whole "it's a limitation of LCD's", still really want this set, otherwise might have to look elsewhere and finding a 1080i set at this price point is a tad difficult.

While I admit that this is almost certainly a fault, I think we might have to just be resigned in the fact that this in essence a budget TV, and as such we shouldn't be expecting an amazing product. Do people think that sounds a bit out of line?

While I admit that this is almost certainly a fault, I think we might have to just be resigned in the fact that this in essence a budget TV, and as such we shouldn't be expecting an amazing product. Do people think that sounds a bit out of line?

Extremely out of line.
I wouldn't consider spending over £1000 on a TV "budget".
If I only paid about £300, then maybe, but even then I wouldn't lie down and take it. Admittedly, I am one of the lucky ones who have not had a problem with my TV <sound of hand touching wood>. Do you think Tosh are going to ramp up the prices for the WLT68 series to allow them to fit higher grade components ? I doubt it. They want market penetration and set a lower selling price to get people to buy.

Legally, Toshiba have to supply a tv "fit for purpose", which, reading the number of posts about banding problems, they don't seem to have done.
You don't have to settle for it. If you are not happy, complain. That is the one thing we don't do enough of in this country. But, remember (and this is not directed at the OP, but at other people who come on this thread and moan), you have to contact the supplier/manufacturer. Just posting a message on this forum won't make a blind bit of difference.

Sorry, I'm ranting a bit now :D ....but, anyway, back to your original question, this is not a budget TV. You should expect an amazing product - if not at least a TV that you can watch without any problems.

Update : TV & Video Direct have contacted me and said that they can either send the set onto Toshiba for a cost and have them give a 2nd opinion (can't see it being too favorable), return the set back to me as is or return the set to them with delivery costs and a 15% restocking fee !

Not sure on the legality of this restocking fee, will find out more details.

What a great set of options eh :rolleyes:

............otherwise might have to look elsewhere and finding a 1080i set at this price point is a tad difficult...........

When you eventually manage to get a full refund for your faulty TV (and yes imo it is faulty, so persevere with your claim), then you might consider the new Sharp range which hopefully will start shipping next week. The specification and PQ would appear to exceed the Tosh at a similar if not cheaper price and it's 1080p as well.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381973

Graham.

Well, we got the call back from the Comet engineer yesterday afternoon. He'd spoken with Toshiba and they told him that ALL their screens have vertical lines on them, because the screen is fitted together in vertical sections! EH?! :rotfl:

My dad is now going to ring Toshiba himself later on today! :rolleyes:

We can live with the annoying banding on the screen, but when you've paid all that money, you expect it to be better than it is.

Extremely out of line.
I wouldn't consider spending over £1000 on a TV "budget".
If I only paid about £300, then maybe, but even then I wouldn't lie down and take it. Admittedly, I am one of the lucky ones who have not had a problem with my TV <sound of hand touching wood>. Do you think Tosh are going to ramp up the prices for the WLT68 series to allow them to fit higher grade components ? I doubt it. They want market penetration and set a lower selling price to get people to buy.

Legally, Toshiba have to supply a tv "fit for purpose", which, reading the number of posts about banding problems, they don't seem to have done.
You don't have to settle for it. If you are not happy, complain. That is the one thing we don't do enough of in this country. But, remember (and this is not directed at the OP, but at other people who come on this thread and moan), you have to contact the supplier/manufacturer. Just posting a message on this forum won't make a blind bit of difference.

Sorry, I'm ranting a bit now :D ....but, anyway, back to your original question, this is not a budget TV. You should expect an amazing product - if not at least a TV that you can watch without any problems.

Couldnt agree more, and as for these 'tech' experts that visit people, thay are often useless, just fob customers off as per their company instructopns no doubt.

Update : TV & Video Direct have contacted me and said that they can either send the set onto Toshiba for a cost and have them give a 2nd opinion (can't see it being too favorable), return the set back to me as is or return the set to them with delivery costs and a 15% restocking fee !

Not sure on the legality of this restocking fee, will find out more details.

What a great set of options eh :rolleyes:

If this is their version of customer service, then i suggest beware all in using them

Originally posted by cute chick

Well, we got the call back from the Comet engineer yesterday afternoon. He'd spoken with Toshiba and they told him that ALL their screens have vertical lines on them, because the screen is fitted together in vertical sections! EH?!

Now I've heard it all :rotfl: they must have a special bull**** team that sits around thinking these up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom