Toshiba 42WLT66/47WLT66 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 42" got a bit of a hammering in this month's What Hi-fi. In previous issues it did better but now WH says the competition has taken it over quite a bit.

Not sure of copyright etc so I'll not post the page so as not to ruffle any feathers. Or would it be OK you think?

That seems odd considering they gave the 42 and 47inch both 4 out of 5 stars last month!

Saw my first full proper 1080i film yesterday ie. 1920 x 1080 on my Tosh. It was Matrix Revolutions (downloaded :devil:), the picture was excellent with no break up or pixellation during even the most intense battle scenes. The bit rate varied from as low as 8 mb to as high as 16 mb (very briefly), average was around 12-14 mb. Not really the best film to showcase picture quality either because of all the muted colours the Matrix films use but still the picture was very very good, detail level on faces was amazing.

HD terrestrial broadcasts so far have been 1440 x 1088 with a bit rate around 18-20 mb.

Given that HDDVD/BluRay will be a much higher bit rate and be full rez, I can't wait until I can get my hands on a player, only then will the full potential of this set be realized.

Only question now is, HDDVD or BluRay ? Listening to the latest podcast may have swung it in favour of HDDVD as the E1/EX1 players will be region free for their lifetime. :clap: Roll on December :D

We have a Comet engineer coming to look at ours on Saturday. We were in Comet yesterday having a browse and I mentioned to an assistant that we have slight, shadowy banding, mainly on the left half of the screen (even more visible on HD broadcasts). He knew instantly what I meant and he said someone else had been into the store complaining about exactly the same thing. The vertical lines drive us mad during footy matches. They are more visible when the camera pans along the pitch and it's hard to ignore them and watch the ball instead! :blush:

We watched a bit of the Tosh 42" on display and it was showing football, amongst other demos, and there was not even a sniff of banding in sight! The picture looked stunning. Hope they get ours sorted out!! :lease:

Hello all,

back to this banding problem, sent my 42WLT66 back to TV and Video Direct because of this and they have contacted me by email today and have had the set on test for a few hours and it is working "well within specifications". :suicide:

The other issue is that there was a smeared section to the bottom left of the screen, almost as if the screen is warped or something, quite small but noticeable nontheless.

Are both these issues enough for me to ask for a replacement, I just get the feeling that when I call them they'll say the banding is not a problem.

Also why are some people are going directly to Toshiba and getting a code rather than the retailer they got it from? Would this be a good way of getting a replacement?

Thanks

As stated earlier - mine died last week. Dixons on line have confirmed an hour ago that the replacement is coming on Thursday. Although I am annoyed - it is not too bad (just over a week).

I would suggest you persist with the supplier noots - they are the party you entered into a contract with.

Hopefully they wont fail you!

Will let you know how I get on.

PS: my 1st set was great - when it was being fed from a good source it was magic - none of the issues you refer to - it just died.

PPS: if it is a problem to you then it is also their problem!

Is anyone here feeding 1920x1080i signal to their 42" panel from a PC or a Mac? My first 42WLT66 was having severe difficulty deinterlacing the signal. I've just received a replacement TV, and it's having exactly the same problems.

The sort of problems I am talking about is documented on another thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3390982&postcount=16

If you are feeding 1080i from a computer, I would appreciate if you could post saying whether everything is working OK for you.

Also why are some people are going directly to Toshiba and getting a code rather than the retailer they got it from? Would this be a good way of getting a replacement?
Toshiba give out a credit code which means you give that to the retailer and they should automatically take the TV back and Toshiba give them a credit and then the shop give you your money back (although if you are returning the TV soon after purchase you are due a refund no matter).

They do this after an engineer's visit or when there's a known problem where a customer has contacted Toshiba directly. Under the law the shop is always responsible but I contact the supply if they are well known.

I'd recommend everyone registers their TV with Toshiba (here -click on Product Registration on the left) so they have you on 'file' so if you contact them they already have your info.

Tadan said:
The 42" got a bit of a hammering in this month's What Hi-fi. In previous issues it did better but now WH says the competition has taken it over quite a bit.

That seems odd considering they gave the 42 and 47inch both 4 out of 5 stars last month!

That's why you have to take what magazines say with a pinch of salt. You only need to look at what WH say about the Toshiba 360 to know they are talking crap. It's a piece of sh** technology and the 'journalist' that tested it probably had it for 2 nights max and both nights he watched 1 DVD while holding a takeaway in one hand and a can of lager in the other.

icon4.gif
Anyhoo, that 'updated' 42" review is here

Taden,

What Sony was the Tosh up against in the review?

That's why you have to take what magazines say with a pinch of salt. You only need to look at what WH say about the Toshiba 360 to know they are talking crap. It's a piece of sh** technology and the 'journalist' that tested it probably had it for 2 nights max and both nights he watched 1 DVD while holding a takeaway in one hand and a can of lager in the other.

icon4.gif
Anyhoo, that 'updated' 42" review is here

WH also did a review of HDMI cables a couple of months back which was also a load of cr@p.

Graham.

I am feeding my 42WLT66 with a 1080i signal from my Snazzio 1350 HD Net DVD player, I have set the TV to Exact Scan mode and I am getting a thick black bar on the left of the picture.

If I change the TV to Wide the black bar goes but the picture is cropped. I am also noticing quite a difference in colour and contrast with only a slight movement away from viewing from directly in front of the screen. (is this the narrow viewing angle problem others have suffered from?)

On a picture from my Humax Duovision Freeview recoreder the picture shows lots of artifacts and pixelation.

On all pictures there is considerable motion blur too.

I bought the screen from a company who had it as a one off, ex display model so they cannot provide me with a replacment, are these issues enough for me to get a warranty replacement direct from Toshiba?

I am feeding my 42WLT66 with a 1080i signal from my Snazzio 1350 HD Net DVD player, I have set the TV to Exact Scan mode and I am getting a thick black bar on the left of the picture.
I too am experiencing problems with 42WLT66 and 1080i signal (various sources). However, they are of a different nature. It looks like the set is unable to properly deinterlace the signal.

I bought the screen from a company who had it as a one off, ex display model so they cannot provide me with a replacment, are these issues enough for me to get a warranty replacement direct from Toshiba?
I had mine replaced. When I spoke to Toshiba, they ascertained the fault and referred me back to the vendor for a replacement (the set was under 28 days old). I don't know whether they can provide replacements direct to consumer.

P.S. Sadly, my new unit has exactly the same problem...:thumbsdow

Still no problems here! HD from SKY is great, DVD content great too and no problems with the Footy! I don't care how this set performs with analogue, it ain't designed with that in mind, so I haven't even tuned the signal in.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, or maybe it's like it's been said earlier in the thread, most of the folk that are well satisfied with this set don't post here.

The 42WLT66 is still highly recommended by me!

I've fed the tv with 1080i from HD terrestrial and a Pinnacle Showcenter 200 media streamer with no deinterlacing problems at all.

-------------------------------------------------------

That magazine article states that it can't render blacks well enough, well to my mind thats just wrong. If you set the backlight correctly (around 20-30) blacks are easily as good as my previous crt and with fine detail in tact. The article also states that the Tosh "is optimised for 1080i and can't render images in full 1080p", well thats ludicrous. It can't accept a 1080p connection but all lcd's display progressively so it obviously does render images in 1080p once they have been deinterlaced. They don't appear to know what they are talking about.

Hey everyone
Appologies for slightly off topic but, still related for those who don't have one yet and want one of these beauties

Empire Direct have the 42WLT66 for sale at £1399, and a FREE 5 YEAR GUARANTEE too, so even if JL don't PM then just go to ED. They seem now to be doing the FREE 5 YEAR GUARANTEE on all their TV's

This must be as a result of everyone PMing them and then going to JL. Isn't consumer pressure a wonderful thing

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/list.aspx?s=42wlt66

I am trying to get JL Cheadle to PM, but hey I don't care

Hey everyone
Appologies for slightly off topic but, still related for those who don't have one yet and want one of these beauties

Empire Direct have the 42WLT66 for sale at £1399, and a FREE 5 YEAR GUARANTEE too, so even if JL don't PM then just go to ED. They seem now to be doing the FREE 5 YEAR GUARANTEE on all their TV's

This must be as a result of everyone PMing them and then going to JL. Isn't consumer pressure a wonderful thing

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...aspx?s=42WLT66

I am trying to get JL Cheadle to PM, but hey I don't care

Need to sort that link out.

I've fed the tv with 1080i from HD terrestrial and a Pinnacle Showcenter 200 media streamer with no deinterlacing problems at all.
Thanks for the feedback, that's reassuring. I've had two sets so far, and both with the same problems. Might have to swap out again, or get Toshiba to come and take a look at it...

I may have asked before - if so forgive me.

What are the best connections and settings for xbox 360 through the 42"?

Replacement panel arriving today and Xbox arriving tomorrow.

All help appreciated.

PS - I am ok with the sound - will be outputting to av/reciever via optical tos link.

OK, I'm thinking about replacing my Hyundai Q321 with 1 of these-lipsync reasons, however, can anyone tell me what it's like with a DVI feed-are there any backward compatibility problems and what about sound is it posible to use the HD ins and still get sound to come out of the speakers? Oh and 1:1?

Does anyone know if this set will be ok with PS3 (Blueray/HD-DVD)

I know they output 1080p but was just wondering what it would be like at 1080i

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom