Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 40TL868B Owners Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bazfoster, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the mini "review" How are you finding the viewing angles of the set?

I did have a quick look at one in Currys yesterday, and the set itself is pretty tidy looking, but I couldn't really get a handle on the picture, as the sun was casting a massive shadow on the screen, and the feed Currys were using on the set was rubbish.
  2. JayDubya

JayDubya Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I saw one in Currys before buying, and although the area was darkened and so good for viewing, the feed was indeed atrocious. Not bad enough for it to be SO obvious, but to someone who had not got a flat panel tv or Freeview yet, I was questioning the whole technology. When mine arrived a few days later, the picture I receive is so much better. How do they sell ANY tvs?!

Anyway, personally I find the viewing angles excellent to the point that I do not notice any difference. We have 3 sofas spread about and the worst must be something like 45 degrees from the side.
  3. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Can't comment on this one at the moment as I was seating just in front of my TV but watching SKY HD yesterday and some documentary about birds was just amazing. I don't think you will have any problems with viewing angels, it's new panel (not some old technology) so should be fine but I will check it later today and let you know.
    BTW, do you have to be in from of TV to watch 3D? I've been watching some test clips in shop on some LG 3D and I've had to be in front of that TV. That wasn't good.

|Kazan|
  4. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies on the viewing angles, lads. Has anyone bought one of these sets from Crampton and Moore? If so, how was the service they gave you? And they are offering a five year warranty with this set at the moment on certain deals, is the warranty with them, or with Toshiba?
  5. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    hmmm, as long as I know warranty is with Toshiba. You need to register on Toshiba website.

|Kazan|
  6. slobdog

slobdog Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So I have been using my set for a week now and can add my thoughts.

I watch all media through my HTPC, which is connected through HDMI1.

1. I have not seen any black or other tears.
    2. Occasionally, I get the micropause/jerk in playback. This is often when something rapid suddenly happens on TV e.g. if somebody suddenly flings there arms upwads. It doesn't happen that often, as in I could go all night and not see it. If I hadn't read this forum, then I probably wouldn't have noticed it over any other little issue you sometimes get in a broadcast signal.
    3. Backlight clouding /whatever you call it. This is probably the most annoying aspect, but it is 'livable'. I tried to turn the backlight down from 70 to 48 on standard, which is where it is pretty much disappears. The picture was just too dark in some scenes though. I tried fiddling with all sorts of settings, but cannot find any way of compensating for dropping the backlight down. Ultimately I like a nice bright (but not glaring) picture, so for now I have put it on autoview, which seems to provide an excellent picture most of the time. It can be a bit 'glare' like and even sterile feeling sometimes, especially when I'm using the internet on my HTPC.

If anyone has any suggestions for picture settings, then I would bevery happy to try them.

4. Football/motion. This is not great. I have tried faffing around with the active vision, off, low, med, high. None of it makes a massive difference. When on high, the ball can seem to jump a little. This did seem to reduce when active was off/low. The worst thing is that the grass seems to 'blur' when the camera pans on wide view. I'm not sure if this is curable, it may just be a 40 inch LCD TV thing. I didn't really notice this on my Tosh 32WLT66, however, it may be because the extra size magnifies it more? Fortunately I don't reallty watch much football, mostly motorbike racing, and the motorbikes seem fine.

So, in summary, I'm not blown away by the TV, as I was initially by my old 32WLT66. That said, all the issues described can be tolerated for the cost and generally the PQ is excellent.

Plus I've heard of worse issues on other, more expensive sets, so I shall stick and keep my ear out for improvements to my issues :)
  7. slobdog

slobdog Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I found an audio delay issue on my set, but not quite the same.

I feed TV / MP4's etc from my HTPC. I had a large sync issue between video and audio. As time watching a channel went on the delay became larger. This happended on all media, live TV, recorded, MP4s, AVi's.

Initially I had my audio feeding through a 3.5mm auido jack out my HTPC with the video feeding through a DVI to HDMI. This is how I had it set upon my old set and I did very occasionally have minor lip sync issues on live TV. Never on anything else. I always thought it was something to do with Windows Media Centre and not my chosen cabling.

As it was unwatchable on the new set, I changed things around. I took the amp out the loop and changed to a HDMI to HDMI, running the audio to the TV. Everything is now perfect. Except the audio is now crap, because it's the TV's speakers only :(

I'm going to plug the amp in with some co-ax cables from the TV to the amp and see how this goes.

I'm not sure what this tells us, except perhaps the TV takes a few tenths of a second to process the signal it receives. If you have something that takes the (digital) audio signal earlier in the chain, then maybe this is where the lag is sourced? To rule that out,I guess you could trial running the TV to your amp and see if you still get an echo?
  8. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Viewing angles on this TV are great.
    I play more and more with Network Media Player and YouTube app. Both are OK but few things should be fixed and added.
    Network Media Player:
    - why can't we play MKVs from NAS? We can't put MKVs bigger then 4GB on USB stick either because of system file. Big problem.
    - could be nice to play video files with ext subtitles in txt or SRT files. Come on Toshiba, any basic media player can do this.
    - it would be nice to jump to requested time(something like "Jump to: x:xx:xx). I don't want to start movie from beginning every time. I know there is Resume but this doesn't work every time.
    - it would be nice to have a possibility to check info about media file, like resolution, bit rate etc (probably I'm asking too much already :))

YouTube:
    - if there would be possibility to login to your acc then we wouldn't need On Screen Keyboard or Remote App for smart phones, cos there is already nice android app for YouTube which is called YouTube Remote.

I know there are biggers problems with that TV and Toshiba needs to fix them asap but these are only my few thoughts.

|Kazan|
    ps: come on people, lets keep that topic going ;) Toshiba apparently reads it and maybe something can be done :smashin:
  9. slobdog

slobdog Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just to update my audio pursuits.

I pluged in my analouge amp using the headphone out, via a 3.5mm jack to dual RCA lead. It now has audio through my lovely stereo speakers and I am very happy.

This may be the simplest/cheapest way for people, with modest 2.0 desires, to boost the crappy on board speaker issue.
  10. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just how bad is the blacklight issues on this set? My current LG LH7000, has a grey "mist" in the bottom RHS of the screen, and it kills any immersion when watching a dark part of a movie. Can it be overcome? (Some settings would be nice to cross-reference - took me the best part of two years to find settings that worked on my LG!)

EDIT: Is the 100hz technology really bad, as well? It also pretty rubbish on my LG........

EDIT EDIT: It would be nice to hear from someone at Toshiba about if there any ongoing firmware updates for this set in the pipeline. If the blacklight and motion problems aren't defeatable by tweaking/firmware, then that's me out of the picture for buying this set, I'm afraid (I'm not getting burnt by buying another set I can't get on with......)
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  11. chass

chass Member

Ratings:
    +3
    had a reply form toshiba today the green button is not an option on this set it is a missprint in the manual that says it is sorry :( so thats that
  12. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    What a :thumbsdow Same happens with On Screen Keyboard, RED button should delete last letter but it does nothing :mad: It's really annoying. Come on Toshiba, make your customers happy. Do we have to buy more expensive TV just to use some green or red buttons?

|Kazan|
  13. farry

farry Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The TV's picture has a faint sepia tint. I noticed that when I compared it side-by-side with different makes of TV in Curry's, but I assumed the tint could be adjusted out. I've just got mine from Amazon, and it has the same sepia tint. But the tint control varies from pink-tint to green-tint, neither of which helps. Anybody else notice this?
  14. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    To be honest I've not noticed this when I was looking at different TVs in shop. Try to adjust colours in Advance Menu or something like that.

As I mentioned earlier I'm playing a lot with Network Media Player and I'm not really sure for what Toshiba included that feature. It's really painful to use it at the moment :rolleyes:
    1) You pause video, go to kitchen, come back, press play and... after 2s Movie just stops :mad: So you have to start movie again and thanks God there is RESUME option (which not always work).
    2) Lets say movie is 3h. First day you can watch only 2h of the movie. Now, on the next day try to jump to the place where you have finished your movie. Impossible. :mad: You need to fast forward and that takes ages.

Toshiba we need something like "Jump to x:xx:xx" when we watch AVIs, MP4s etc. :lease:

|Kazan|
  15. farry

farry Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ah thanks. That "Advanced Picture Settings" took some finding. Now I know that I need to look for that tiny white triangle of a scroll arrow which tells me that there are hidden menu options. All I had to do was set the "Colour Temperature" to "Cool" and then the colours seemed correctly balanced.
  16. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Great news. It took me few moments to find out about that small triangle ;)

|Kazan|
  17. Sparky1pq

Sparky1pq Member

Ratings:
    +24
    3a) Not trying to be picky but the TV isn't Freesat but just satellite. So the channels could be in a different order / also I believe the on screen information would be the basic information provided,

9) The YouTube application is simply pointing to YouTube XL so all the functionality or lack of it from from YouTube not Toshiba.
  18. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry that was my fault calling this FreeSat. What I was talking about is that I was watching channels which are broadcast as not scrambled (free to air). My fault. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be able to organize them in a little bit more easier way than right now (like, delete some channels).
    Other thing is EPG has nothing to do with FreeSat as a brand. It's, as you probably know, "Electronic program guide" which most of the channels broadcast together with Video&Audio signal. EPG on this TV with SAT input just doesn't work, which is %$^£%$^ and that should be fixed by Toshiba.
    Thanks for info. That explains a lot right now :) But if you will check that link you can see there is option to login to Skype acc, which is not visible on TV. That would be really helpful for user to watch their favourites video.

|Kazan|
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  19. Jacko83

Jacko83 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Where I would agree with most of your suggestions... I would have to point out that a USB PVR would cause an uproar in the world of copyright/licence infringements... I'm no goody two shoes, but I think toshiba would prefer not to have the headache :D
  20. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Wouldn't be any problem if Toshiba would follow for example Samsung's idea and just implement something like DRM.

Still can't understand why can't we watch MKVs and AVIs from NAS. Avi is the most popular container and works from USB, so why it can't work from NAS, Toshiba, why??

|Kazan|
  21. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone found some decent picture setting for this set? Or had their set calibrated, and wanted to share? - I know, what a long shot, eh!

The reason I ask, is that in a lot of reviews, I have noticed "backlight issues" is a phrase banded around quite a lot when talking about this set (And it's big brother) I was just wondering if anyone had defeated the problem through tweaking the settings whilst maintaining a decent picture?
  22. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Could you please share how did you do it over the network without serviio?
    I can do it but only using serviio as a DLNA server. I've checked manual for this TV and it's clearly saying that MKVs and AVIs can't be played over network, only from USB. I'm really confused.

What I have done is I've just lowered Backlight to about 40-50 and Contrast to about 70 but it all depends what Video you watch. Sometimes I have to put Backlight back to about 70. Rest of the advanced options I just keep on OFF or LOW.
    I can honestly say that in 90% picture is great and you can't see any backlight bleeding in corners even in really dark scenes. Just when you change channel and for 1s you have got black screen then you can notice light bleeding in corners but that's nothing.

|Kazan|
  23. billybo8

billybo8 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    AVIs always played over the NAS. Both from a USB hard drive connected to my router with built in UPnP and media server and also from my Revo HTPC.
    MKVs did not show at all, that is, the whole directory was missing that contained the file when I looked in my Movies folder. Yet when I look at All Videos I can find the folders containing the movies. All the MKVs play except those with DTS sound, I think, which are silent.
    I am using the latest firmware done via a network update.
    None of my recorded TV plays I guess because it is WMV format.
    Anyone know if you can change the format that WMC records in?

I am still looking for the 4 digit remote code for this TV?
  24. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You might be right about AVIs but I will test it today with my new NAS.
    I can see MKVs but they will not play from NAS, no problems from USB.
    You will not be able to play MKVs with DTS sound at all. That TV can't handle DTS but it's really easy to convert MKV with DTS to MKV with AC3 which should work with out any problems with that TV. Check this out.

|Kazan|
  25. symbiosis

symbiosis Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I can confirm the above, MKV's do NOT play from my NAS but play fine from my Sumvision Cyclone although not sure about the DTS sound
  26. Sparky1pq

Sparky1pq Member

Ratings:
    +24
    With regard to the red button not deleting what firmware are you running?
  27. rick19011

rick19011 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My 3d universal glasses I purchased do not work with this TV, it does not pickup the IR signal, do you need toshiba glasses to work with this tv or am I doing something wrong?
  28. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Latest one. Done the update over network after few failures so now no problems with iPlayer but that stuff with RED button ect doesn't work.

Yes, as long as I know you need Toshiba's glasses.

|Kazan|
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  29. Sparky1pq

Sparky1pq Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Can you check the firmware screen and report what is actually says as someone I know has one of these models and says the red button deletes on their TV.

There have been a few versions and the network update wasn't working very well for most people.
  30. kazan

kazan Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I've just checked and I'm on version 6.3.2C.1 Dec 05 2011 - 51.3.31.2 exactly ;)

|Kazan|