Toshiba 36zp38 problem!!

Picbits - I have now received the new MDFS03 module from Toshiba. Next comes the tricky bit of moving the TV from the position in which it has "sat" for the last five years! My next-door neighbour is a body builder so he should be a big asset !. You having replaced the part, I wonder if you can advise how best to go about it. Is it best to leave the TV on its stand to remove the rear cover or to put it face-down on (say) the floor. Once the back is off can the main board (or motherboard) be un-plugged/removed to allow replacement of the MDFS03 module on the bench. Any advice gratefully received.

I wouldn't really want to give advice because it may be the wrong way to do it but I put my TV face down on a thick rug and did it that way. I didn't remove any boards but vaguely remember unclipping a couple of bits to gain better access.

No need!

Leave it on it's stand.

Remove the back - carefully. Don't let it drop onto the neck of the tube!

You'll need to unplug the subwoofer on the RHS - one plug on a loose lead.

Unthread the mains cable and get rid of the back cover.

I always remove the tube base PCB - not essential but easier.

Begin to slide the chassis out, again carefully.

You'll see a plug on the LHS at the front of the PCB which needs to be disconnected, 2 black wires. Unclip the wires which run along both sides of the chassis, yellow/white on the LHS, lots of blue on the RHS.

The chassis will now lift to the vertical position on the RHS, resting on the base of the set/stand and against the back of the tube. Secure it as best you can. You can now access the solder side of the PCB.

Do not use a solder sucker! It will remove the print from the PCB. Use solder 'wick' or 'mop'. (A braid type solder remover). Unsloder all pins, including the 4 lugs at each corner. Remove the old module. Slot the new one in. Resolder it back into place.

Put the old girl back together - don't forget the tube base PCB, the plug on the LHS or the Subwoofer, or to thread the mains lead through the back cover.

Power it up.

Crack open a beer.

Enjoy.

:)

Thanks G.O.T :)

My repair basically started ......

Lift telly off stand (or try to)
Nip next door to get extra pair of hands
Myself and neighbour work on a hernia together
Remembered that TV was screwed to stand
Unscrew TV from stand
Myself and neighbour work further on hernia together

Start repair ..........

I've now found that Toshiba parts are like busses, you wait ages then two arrive ! Body-builder neighbour has man-flu (his mum says!) so not available today. Thanks for the advice guys - I'll let you know if I have success. If the "beast" wasn't so heavy, I'd seriously consider looking at the road atlas to see how far away Bradford is from Cheadle Hulme !.

After waiting for around 10 days for reply to E-mail I rang customer services again. As always very helpful. They rang the "head office" and then said that under no circumstances would parts dept. despatch a part to a private address. If they'd replied in that vein I would have understood. Anyway, I then gave CS my work address and the part was ordered. Yesterday I received one module at home. Today I received another at work !

Well guys, I've had a successful day and have ended up with a fully working TV after replacing the MDFS03 module. Many thanks to all contributors to this forum - without it the TV would probably have ended up at the tip! Special thanks to Picbits and Grumpy Old Troll. His instructions were spot-on and I followed them rigidly. Also un-plugged a few additional cables to avoid pulling them. Had to use a gas soldering iron on the metal can fixing lugs as my electric one couldn't keep up with the heat loss. I must say that my repair took a lot longer than Grumpy's but he's probably done a few !. The massive weight of the set is a real pain but at least leaving it on the stand meant I could drag it rather than lift.

Well done BarryP. :thumbsup:

You're right, I have done a few... hundred!

Still a great telly. The sound quality is the cherry on the icing on the cake. Something those who think their LCD/plasma is the mutts nuts will never know. ;)

I had my DFS module replaced thanks to this forum a while back :smashin:
My parents have the same TV but each time I go round to their house the picture looks grainy especially on the greens ie when the football is on. They haven't noticed this because they are use to it but it hits me straight away.
could this be a DFS module ? I'd say not as the colours are fine - just grainy

Any ideas ?

I've now found that Toshiba parts are like busses, you wait ages then two arrive ! Body-builder neighbour has man-flu (his mum says!) so not available today. Thanks for the advice guys - I'll let you know if I have success. If the "beast" wasn't so heavy, I'd seriously consider looking at the road atlas to see how far away Bradford is from Cheadle Hulme !.

After waiting for around 10 days for reply to E-mail I rang customer services again. As always very helpful. They rang the "head office" and then said that under no circumstances would parts dept. despatch a part to a private address. If they'd replied in that vein I would have understood. Anyway, I then gave CS my work address and the part was ordered. Yesterday I received one module at home. Today I received another at work !

Well having read all about it i managed to get halfway through the replacement of the DFS board, intending initially to carry out a repair then thought why not phone Toshiba and get a new board, sadly they refused, even if I supplied a business address, and now I have my TV in bits I cannot imagine a repairer wanting to help so wondered if barryp would consider selling me his spare board, failing that it might be a new Flatscreen for me as even the cost of labour seems like a waste as we have had the TV for at least 7 years now!! I am of course assuming that there is only one type of DFS board

Erm it's not a board as such, it's a silver can soldered to the main board in which there is a much smaller board. The whole can is the dfs module and this is what needs to be replaced. Approx 28 pins to be desoldered prior to removal:smashin:

Last edited:
Yep, thanks mikejjj, already removed the old unit but did not have a new one to go in, just bought one from ebay, not exactly free but I like living on the edge.... hope there is a board in the can, I'll let you know how I get on :rolleyes: cheers

I would like to add my thanks to everyone on here for there superb knowledge and advice. My TV was repaired by Gogglebox in Bristol for £75 thanks to Toshiba sending the part F.O.C. They actually carried out the repair about 2 weeks ago but I was away that week and I could only get a friend to help me carry it today.

I had forgotten how good the picture is when everything is working properly and I don't think I fully appreciated the sound quality until I had to make do with a 21" 4:3 tv for a while.

We have been saving our regular programs on Sky+ until we for ours back, so we have a fair bit of catching up to do.

Thanks again.

Dave

Good news, I recall being really impressed with mine when it was repaired - they must degrade over time but in a really subtle way so you don't notice until the inevitable happens.

As posted elsewhere mine is now surplus to requirements so if anyone wants it and can collect in Leeds please let me know, I can't face it going to the tip when it's all working perfectly and has years left in it.

I have aquired one of these tvs and yes, it's a good tv, cost me £50 and worth the money. My problem is I have 2 very faint shadow like lines, each about an inch across, appearing about two thirds screen width apart from each other on the vertical, also I have some very weird graining on certain textures/colours, looks like diagonal lines scrolling from right to left so could this be that dreaded DFS module problem?

Hi all and a great forum .

well after 5 1/2 trouble free years of happy use my Toshiba has packed up
but why do it on boxing day morning of all days ???
as an electronic engineer i intend to repair the set my self and after reading some of the posts it looks very much like the old toshiba dfs module fault.
as I get a screen much like in the picture .
what i need to know are toshiba still willing to send out new modules for free [to customers ]and what is the best phone number or persion to call them on to get a new module .

[ has any one been able to repair the DFS ?]

i still think that the zp48 was the best ever CRT tv made in the history of crt televisions

[mod edit: Font tags removed to make it easier to read[/b]

liveman

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just received a notification E-mail from AV Forums having not looked at it since repairing my TV at end of October. I certainly agree that replacing the DFS module restored picture quality to "as bought" after gradual degradation - even my mrs noticed !. After all, that was why I chose the set in the first place!!. I'm glad borg1664 managed to get a module. Have you managed to repair the set ? I also found an eBay source (around £50) before getting a free one from Toshiba. After much "toing and froing" they said that they would only deliver to a business address so I submitted my work address which is an electronics (albeit industrial) company. At all times Toshiba customer service was the best I've come across although their spares dept were not quite as helpful. This may be understandable as they have, perhaps, been "bitten" by problems caused by people attempting a repair and making a mess of it. Best wishes to you all for Xmas (bit late!) and New Year.

Liveman: I haven't got Toshiba details here but could help later in the week if required.

Grumpy old Troll: As you know, I have a spare DFS module which I intended to keep in case of another failure. Do you know if a further failure is likely or was the whole problem caused by a single badly soldered batch. I'm quite willing to help somwone else but don't want to leave myself with a possible further problem. It sound as though Toshiba are tightening up on the supply of free modules. My set was, after all, over 5 yrs old when it "croaked".

hi
barry p
i have not tried to phone Toshiba as i expect that they wont be back from Christmas un till Wednesday .
i have just striped out the main circuit card from the tv that the module is on .
the module is on mine MDFS03 and has 28 pin soldered to the circuit card i did try to unsolder it but my iron not very good so i will have to take it to work when i go back to work and do it properly .
i see that my tv was made 18th week of 2005 so was one of the very last made.
if Toshiba get funny about sending it to my home address i will get them to send it the my work address as you did .

i presume it was just a bad Bach of module and once it,s replaced it should be ok
so did you get a free DFS module Toshiba and buy one as well ?

Hi Barryp, liveman gents firstly i would just like to add that i myself have replaced this module twice on one of my old sets ( i had two of this particular model ) so it's very likely that it was a batch issue down to the new modern day solder and Tosh have now a shed full of these for use in warranty claims like yours etc.
Barryp if i were you i would keep your spare just incase. The good news LIVEMAN is if you would like a new DFS module PM me your address i will send you out 2, one you can keep as a spare yourself or pass it one to another forum member should you not need it.
I myself have now gone flatscreen and my old Tosh are being recycled :rolleyes:.
mike....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom