Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toshiba 27WL54G review

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Guthwulf, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Guthwulf

Guthwulf Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Toshiba 27WL54G review

Many people who frequent these forums have been intrigued by the 27WL54G as it is arguably the cheapest HD ready set available from a major brand name. Of course this set is only available from www.pixmania.co.uk but at £490 is seems to be a steal. Finally after much thought and a stinking argument with freemans over a certain Samsung I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Tosh. At the very least I thought could settle a few questions and provide the 1st brief review of one for Avforums, how’s that for thinking of the community .

Where to start…At the beginning is best. With pixmania ordering and delivery was without done without any hassle at all. My only complaint when ordering is they add on their extra warranty to your order without asking and you have remove that manually to get the price back down.

The Tosh was ordered on the Wednesday evening and arrived Tuesday courtesy of parcelfarce. No problems there and delivery was just £9 which I saved with a handy voucher for pixmania from www.hotukdeals.com.

Box was in perfect nick and hadn’t been opened before. Inside apart from the screen came the usual raft of manuals in every language known to man, a wall mount bracket, remote, assorted cables inc VGA, stereo to phono, power lead (euro) and adapter for UK. The uk adapter was sealed in with the rest of the leads from factory so it looks like Tosh is well aware that this unit is sold in Europe as a whole including the uk.

Screen patched in with visuals supplied by Aerial and OnDigital (Yuk) freeview box for SD viewing. DVD’s at 576p via component from my Yamaha deck. And lastly HD testing at 720p courtesy of my hacked Xbox and a copy of Tony hawks.

SD view is iffy the built in tuner really can’t handle the raw feed that well, having said that I do live in a poor signal area and even the crt I’ve just binned struggled.

Score C+

SD from the set top box via RGB scart was really OK. It was vary acceptable and only required a few adjustments to the screen to get a decent worthwhile picture

Score B+

DVD progressive….what can I say this was fantastic and well worth it. sharp clear with only a few niggles on black levels showing up as patchy (early space scenes in fifh element) this could well be mpeg problems as I didn’t experience any problems with either attack of the clones or the abyss.

Score A

HD 720p my hacked xbox produces a pin sharp picture on this system when using the mediacentre with evox set to 720p. I haven’t tried 1080i yet as I didn’t have time. The only Xbox game I have that supports 720p is Tony Hawks 4 which I bunged straight in. I was immediately impressed especially for a TV as cheap as this. It handled the HD signal really well and produced nice clean and very sharp visuals. If this is 720p gaming I need me a 360 now!!!.

Score A+

Overall I’d give it an A

Unfortunately due to time constraints I haven’t yet plugged in my PC or taken any photo’s yet. If there is much interest I will however amend that .

As a side note the screen appears to be the same spec as the 27WL56g sold in the UK just missing some digital processing extras. You will find no mention of the response time anywhere not even the manuals. Looking at the screen and how it handles high speed details I would judge it to be in the region of 12ms which is the time quoted for the 27WL56g. Certainly its no slouch but not as quick as some I have tested. As I said the box turned up in perfect factory sealed condition, no blemishes marks of any kind and no that is none, zero, nada dead pixels 

I will answer all and sundry regarding this screen I think I’ve made a great purchase not bad for £490. Please bear that in mind I’ve seen £1000 screens worse than this and a many that are better, but I have reviewed its capabilities with its price point in mind  it does however knock into the abyss the likes of bush, Goodman’s, beko etc who all sell at similar prices.

Hope this helps a few people

Guthy
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. simon1981

simon1981 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just bought the same TV and think it is great. However I have trouble getting 1:1 pixel mapping from my computer with DVI to work. Have you tried connecting a computer to your TV yet?
  3. Stu.B

Stu.B Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I was considering buying this TV but in the end went for an LG from Richer Sounds as the wife was happier with buying something that we could take back to the shop if anything went wrong. I've also heard horror stories about ordering from Pixmania which put me off a little.

I also need an LCD for the conservatory so perhaps I'll save for this one now..!

Thanks
    Stu
  4. knobby63

knobby63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got me one too, bought from Pixmania, no problems at all delivery was 3 days, well packed etc.
    Looks good from a distance with terrestrial aerial feed, better with the TV out feed from the back of my NTL box (which is approx. 100ft long)
    I was expecting more from DVD though, its good but no better in my opinion than my 15 year old Tosh 28" crt.
    The DVD player is a pioneer dv 454 .. do i need progressive scan or something ?
    or am i just expecting too much without a true HD feed til its available ?

Cheers, be gentle on me ... its my first post !

Gaz:suicide:
  5. knobby63

knobby63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quikky, found this quite spooky !
    if you press the ok button in the middle of th up,down,left.right key the picture pauses ! on terrestrial through an aeria feed !
    er...

Gaz
  6. simon1981

simon1981 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, nice to see another owner of this TV :thumbsup:

Have you tried to connect it to a pc?
  7. knobby63

knobby63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, only a laptop though, downloaded a king kong trailer 1280 x 720 res. laptop only does 1024 x something and wasn't really up to it.
    Picture was pukka though but laptop kept "jittering" as it wasn't high enough spec. When it worked it looked good though

Gaz
  8. scottbolton

scottbolton Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this set for over a year now... The set is very good, however i have found it to be quiet unreliable!!

I bought this from "PIXMANIA" and now realise why the tv is sold cheaply, as their after sales is shocking!!

When i had the tv delivered, the controls were in slow motion ( ie press the volume control and about 10 secs later is might have an effect.

The set was then sent away for repair...

some time later, i came down stairs, turned on the tv... and i had NO SOUND and a GRAINY picture.

The engineers came out and reset the EPROM. by accessing the "elusive" engineers screen.. then all was well... UNTIL NOW!!!

Came down the other morning... and once again i have NO SOUND and a grainy picture.
    I cannot find out from anyone how to access the screen to rectify this myself... can anyone help??>...:lease::lease::lease:

Pixmania want me to send the set away to coventry and this will cost about £50!!.. some warranty hey! (Toshibas 1 year warranty has ended therefore i am shafted with PIXMANIAS attempt at a warranty!

Can someone please help??

cheers

Scott