1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

topfield 5810

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by sdi2, Jun 23, 2008.

1. sdi2

sdi2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have just got a topfield 5810, and I appear to be having some problems.

After tuning the set I noticed that I have two of every channel. In all cases one of them does not work.
    On BBC1 & 2 the second entry does not work and I get the message "no signal at tuner 2", on ITV and channel 4 the first entry does not work and I get the message "service is not running or scrambled".

Added to that, if I go onto the working channel 4 entry, I see a picture for about 7 seconds and then the screen goes black and no sound.

I got this cheap from superfi because there was a dent on the backplate. Looking at it though, the RF loop 1 out coax socket was also bent over a bit.

I have installed the coax patch cable from RF loop 1 out and ANT 2 in.
    Apart from this, it appears to be working ok.

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Thanks, Nick.
  2. airline1

airline1 Member

Ratings:
    +17
  3. creddish

creddish Member

Ratings:
    +203
    It appears to me that maybe you are picking up transmissions from more than one transmitter thus producing duplicate entries. There is a procedure I have seen described to make sure you only get the transmissions from the best transmitter. However, I don't own a Topfield so I'm not familiar with the detail. As suggested you could ask in the toppy forum but I expect if you hang on until tomorrow a Topfield owner will see you question and advise you.

Colin
  4. sdi2

sdi2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sagem pvr and have had no problems with duplicate channels on that one.

However, the topfield is part of a coax daisy chain along with the sagem and an analogue pvr.
    Today I reset the topfield, made sure that all other machines were off, and retuned.
    Now it seems ok. It was the message "no signal at tuner 2" that was worrying me.

Nick.
  5. Rox70

Rox70 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i have just bought a Topfield TF5810PVRt Freeview+ 500GB HDD / HDMI Upscaling PVR.
    It's connected by TV Aerial into Ant 1 IN, the loop goes from RF loop 1 out to Ant 2 IN, then RF Loop 2 Out goes into back of the TV. Then HDMI lead from Toppy to my TV.
    When i switch my TV to HDMI for the Topfield, to come threw it says "Mode not Supported?" with a black screen, no picture, sound, nothing. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
  6. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,171
    It suggests that the Topfield is outputting at a resolution that your TV does not support.

I don't know the Topfield well enough [ or at all!] to know what it's default output resolution setting is .. and I'm surprised that it is not an auto setting.
    [Perhaps a user could comment on this ]

Normally, across HDMI, a TV is supposed to communicate back to the source device what it's max resolution is and the source device makes that setting.

That does not seem to be happening...so you may have to do it manually ...if you can access the setting when connected by another method.

Check your TV's specification to see what resolutions it does support.

Another possibility is that the security aspect of HDMI has kicked in... in which case you'll have to disconnect and power reset both the TV and the Topfield before trying again.