Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight/Last Night my HD viewing is/was... Part 7 (Please read first post).

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Garrett, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,314
    I don't think we've ever agreed on anything.:)

All the best
    Bri
  2. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    Watched Thor tonight. MUCH better in 2D than the fake 3D I sat through at the cinema.

Great PQ and I thought the movie held up well on second viewing, but as a long-time fan of the comic books I felt that the film would have been better if they'd found a way to get the 25 minutes of deleted scenes, which concentrated more on character and humour instead of action, into the main movie. Nice to have these deleted scenes in HD and with finished music etc anyway.

The commentary by Brannagh was hard work. Worthy but very, very dull like a dull oscar speech where the speaker has written down the names of everyone he needs to thank. In Brannagh's words even somebody doing nothing was showing amazing talent by just doing nothing. Tedious stuff. The featurettes were better, but again, mostly full of luvvies saying how wonderful everything was.
  3. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    Also got around to watching Senna tonight. I have zero interest in Formula 1, and am not a great fan of documentaries either, so have delayed watching this which I bought only because it had so many over-the-top enthusiastic reviews.

The reviewers were right. I was gripped from start to finish. Probably doesn't need to be on blu-ray given most of the material is archive and rare footage, but the way the whole thing was put together was very clever. A friend who's a big Senna fan said he went in expecting to have already seen everything shown and came out gob-smacked at how much stuff he'd never seen that the makers had uncovered and came out thinking he'd seen something totally new.

It's the beautifully told story of a quite amazing individual. Highly recommended.
  4. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,647
    Yep i did that :D,
  5. Purperen

Purperen Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Watched X-Men: First Class on Saturday night. Really enjoyed it although I preferred the first half of the film. It had a much more Bond or Man from Uncle sixties feel to it, despite jumping all over the place plot-wise. that dropped off later in the film. I would have liked the Emma Frost character to have had more screen time too, we didn't really need so many teen mutants. Excellent audio quality and video quality was mainly excellent but in a few scenes some of the frame seemed soft, almost out of focus. Not down to the blu-ray I think, probably the source material.
    Film: 7.5
    PQ: 9
    AQ: 9
  6. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I also watched X-Men First Class. I quite enjoyed it, certainly better than the last two films, but nowhere near as good as X2.

I found the poor costume design and anachronistic hairstyles distracting. Mad Men made the early 60s fashionable again and did it with great style and accuracy, so why give many character hairstyles and clothes you would not have seen in 1962 ? The men's hair was often much too long for the period and one male character sported an 80s style 'Fabio' mane. I spotted a top which I bought from Top Shop a year ago and many of the clothes looked like they were off the rack from a contemporary high street. It all was a watered down 60ish style that looked more like a themed costume party, rather than trying to do justice to the period, which would have looked so much more sharp. I know most people don't care about these things, but I think if you set a film in a particular period, you should do a little research and put some effort into it.
  7. Purperen

Purperen Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I think they were probably going for a highly stylised version of the sixties Todd, with January Jones mini-skirt/furcoat/bra top combo and bubble helicopters etc.
    I think they missed a beat though by not have a John Barry style music score. A cliche, I know, but it would have really set the mood for the sixties.
  8. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    January Jonses' costume was modelled on her comic book character and though it wasn't a particularly good design, at least it was some sort of design. Her outfits were the only slightly more unusual costume designs though.

I would have been happy had they actually gone for a highly stylised 60s look, but most of the secondary characters costume and hair looked merely contemporary and not at all stylised. It's this fear Hollywood has about younger audiences not being able to relate to anything that that doesn't look current. Design and art direction is something I have a particular interest in, not least because one of my nearest and dearest is a costume designer, so you develop an eye for these things.

Among of the worst costumes were the contemporary grey baggy sweat pants and hoodies they wore in the training sequence. Sports wear of the period was sleek and tight fitting and not like something you'd buy at Primark in 2010. It looked cheap.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. featherhall

featherhall Active Member

Ratings:
    +636
    I watched 'A Prophet' earlier. French masterpiece about an Arabs rise in prison. Fantastic movie which blew me away. Stunning performances.
    Film - 9/10
    PQ - 8/10. Perfectly competent. Great facial detail
    SQ - 7/10. Again, fine, although i never had it too loud.

Though hardly reference material for HD it is a film that will long prey on the mind with mindblowing performances. Highly recommended
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  10. The SMF

The SMF Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Nightmare On Elm Street 3

the better of the sequels, shame the picture didn't seem to be all that

still a fun nights viewing for halloween tho

7/10
  11. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,647
    I went for Trick or Treat,as it was halloween :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. 005

005 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    [​IMG]

Film: 7/10
    PQ: 6/10
    SQ: 8/10

Finally got the Mrs to watch this after 2 yrs in waiting......the only one of the series I've seen & would watch. PQ was not that good, not much colour/contrast, plus much flicker of dirt on the print. SQ had no issues, good use of 5.1 & bass.

Personally no idea how many of these films there are but 1 was good, I'm sure it got stupid & silly after
  13. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,173
    The second one was so daft I think I gave up halfway through. Wont watch any of them again thats for sure! :)
  14. Jim Di Griz

Ratings:
    +1,173
    Deep Red

This is another one of those 'thought Id seen it but hadnt' films. I can see why its got its fans. Great style to it and it just feels right. Some of the editing etc was a bit dodgy but the good things definitely outweigh the bad. PQ wasnt great which is not a surprise for something of this age and budget. AQ was pretty good I thought. Easy to see where Carpenter got a lot of ideas for Halloween from...especially the music! :eek:

Definitely give it a go if youre sick of the usual boring modern horror films!

Didnt seem much like Suspiria to me although I need to watch that again. I think I prefer it to Suspiria though.

Film 8/10
    PQ 6/10
    AQ 8/10
  15. The SMF

Ratings:
    +148
    Nightmare On Elm Street 4

been such a long time since watching this that i had forgotten how good this film was, always felt 1,3 & 7 were the only ones worth bothering with, but thats clearly not the case now i have had a refresher course :)

thought it looked and sounded very good

8/10

onto part 5 tomorrow hopefully.....
  16. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ Active Member

Ratings:
    +686
    I rejoined LoveFilm and my fist Blu Ray sent to me was Meet the Robinsons. Splendid time travel movie but the caraziness of the future was just a bit too overboard and got a bit tiring. However, the story was sweet and funny. Picture quality was as good but I felt the sound was mix was rather dull in both uncompressed 5.1 and dolby digital 5.1. There was a DTS option but only available in Spanish. No 6.1/7.1 options.

Definitely worth a rental though.
  17. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,272
    The Mechanic

Enjoyable but predictable hit-man action from the Stath. This is worth watching particularly for the excellent Ben Foster, who in my opinion steals every film in which he is given a good-sized role (he owned 3:10 to Yuma). Great actor.

Picture very good, although slightly soft in places despite being razor-sharp in others. A very warm, yellowish palette throughout. No complaints soundwise.

FQ: 7
    PQ: 8.5
    AQ: 8
  18. The SMF

Ratings:
    +148
    5th night, 5th nightmare, Nightmare On Elm Street 5

slowly getting through the set, or fast if you think about it, lol

part 5, not bad, PQ slowly improving, AQ was ok i felt, an ok story in this film, nowhere near as good as 4, which is a shame as it directly follows on from it so it should have been a stronger story than it was

still a fun nights viewing for me tho regardless

7/10
  19. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,647
    Halloween H20 20 years Later, one of my fav Halloween follow ups :)

It was the Can one,so in the right ratio 2.32 & a 5.1 DTS master soundtrack.

Have to say both were not to bad :)
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  20. 005

005 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    [​IMG]

Film: 7/10
    PQ: 9/10
    SQ: 7/10

Will be playing Batman AC soon, so just getting in the mood. Saw this in the cinema, it was the 1st 12 cert to be released here. I'm still a fan of Burton's version, there had been no proper feature done so 1989 changed that. PQ was great, SQ could have been better, only during action scenes & music could you feel the 5.1 mix well. The 3 the followed after were terrible.
  21. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Unknown

A very silly film which proves what I've suspected all along - Liam Neeson is really not a good actor, he's more wooden than Pinnochio - some of his delivery in this is just awful! And he's paired up with January Jones, who looks nice, but literally has one expression at all times, which is blankness - there's just nothing there - OK, I exaggerate, she can smile, but she can't show any sort of emotion, at all. If Diane Kruger can make you look like a bad actor then you know you're pretty poor! Still, enjoyable in a very forgettable way.

PQ: 9/10
    AQ:9/10
    Film:5/10
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  22. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,079
    The Innocents last night, fantastic and the PQ was superb.

PQ 9
    AQ 7
    FQ 9.5.
  23. The SMF

Ratings:
    +148
    Nightmare On Elm Street 6 - Freddy's Dead

both PQ and AQ once again improve

i used to feel this was the worst in the series, but if im honest, i don't think i hate any of them, they all have their good elements, this film providing a bit more back story to freddy

so thats the 6th day and the 6th nightmare for me, its been a fun week so far :)

7/10
  24. KBD1

KBD1 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Last nights viewing was X-Men First Class,
    Imo p**h.:thumbsdow
    Should have finished at No 3.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Just started with Justified Season 1, Sat there on the shelf for ages and thought it was about time I gave it a go. PQ is first rate, The opening episode was so-so, Will try and get another couple in tomorrow.
  26. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Cant understand that if anything finished at 2. This was no way as bad as 3 in fact I thought it quite good.
  27. Jim Di Griz

Ratings:
    +1,173
    Total Recall

"Screeeewww youuuuuuu!" :laugh:

Another one I picked up for a fiver and finally got round to watching it. Well I know the phrase "better than the DVD" is popular around here but this one is way better than the DVD in my opinion. Ive seen this one loads on times on DVD but noticed details on the blu which I hadnt seen before - which is the point, right? ;)

Very good Arnie film. Bit silly here and there of course but very entertaining. Not your usual Arnie style plot either, theres a bit of depth here ;). Im not sure this film would actually get made these days...will be interesting to see the remake - im betting on an anodyne PG-13, competent but bloodless intrepration but we shall see.

Anyway...well worth picking up if youre a sci-fi / Arnie / 80s fan!

Film 8.5/10
    PQ 8/10
    AQ 8/10
  28. Mo Better Blues

Mo Better Blues Member

Ratings:
    +89
    The Green Lantern

Film 7/10
    PQ 9/10
    AQ 8/10

Looked superb, sounded pretty good but the film itself was made for boys aged 10-12 I think
    A very juvenile telling of the story and the ending seemed far to erm.... "easy", I think is the word I'm looking for?
    I can't see it being watched again ever!
  29. The SMF

Ratings:
    +148
    Wes Craven's New Nightmare

looked great, sounded great, was great, freddy's great, nancy's great etc etc etc.......

top film, finishing off the set, loved it

7/10 for the film, 8/10 for the collection, tho i still have the extras disc to watch yet, so it might jump higher :)
  30. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,710
    No and I can't say it on a family forum. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.