1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight/Last Night my HD viewing is/was... Part 7 (Please read first post).

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by Garrett, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    Can understand the fairly lukewarm reviews for this film about a happily married couple (Keira Knightly and Sam Worthington) who have a night apart and consider having affairs. More a theatre piece perhaps than a film, with no real story, but a lot of honesty about how people work/think in such situations. I enjoyed it. Not most people's cup of tea but am glad there's still room for films like this to get made. Very sudden ending - which seemed perfect given what preceded it.
  2. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,635
    Animal Kingdom a very good film,one to watch, powerful and very moody

pq sq good

:)
  3. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    Agreed, Guns of Navarone doesn't look perfect though it probably could have looked a lot worse. From what I've read, the film stock/elements were in very poor condition and it's been given a 4k digital restoration by Sony - given that, I think it looks very good in parts.
  4. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    Criterion is region-locked I take it? If so - thats me out.

Ive got the German Universal one and that looks good to me anyway. Im not sure how the book could be translated to film better than what Gilliam managed! Love them both :)
  5. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Aye, it's locked, mate.
  6. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Attack The Block

Enjoyed this - it does well to make you feel for some characters who at the beginning I really wanted to be alien fodder, and it has some laughs and some proper jumpy moments. English action/sci fi at it's best. Be interesting to see what Joe Cornish does next (other than helping write Tintin and his long gestating Ant Man project for Marvel)

PQ:7/10 (nothing outstanding but some scenes very good)
    AQ: 9/10 (good use of surrounds with various fireworks going off etc)
    Film:7/10
  7. The SMF

The SMF Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    JURASSIC PARK

:D

just about sums it up

best audio track i've experienced, let alone the 1st that i've watched in a proper 7.1 since adding the 2 extra speakers

this is a must if u have a 7.1 setup

pure exhilarating entertainment

9/10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jim Di Griz

Ratings:
    +986
    Thought so. Ive noticed theres a canadian one though, wonder if thats locked too? Also ive noticed that on dvdcompare that my german one is a bd25 and the uk universal is a bd50 with a higher bitrate. I better get the uk one after all!
  9. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Get the UK one, it's pretty much a port of the US Universal disc, which the Canadian also mirrors.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Quatermass And The Pit tonight, i don't know how many times i have seen this but realy looking forward to seeing it on Blu.:smashin:
  11. Chuck HD

Chuck HD Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Watched Taxi Driver the other night... WOW. After the inherently fuzzy opening creds (which are nice and clean nonetheless), we follow Travis Bickle into the cab company and - BANG! Colours leap out and detail is superb. The stubble on Travis' face, the loud shirt on the guy sitting behind him... incredibly, there's actually a sort-of three dimensionality to some shots, such as close-ups of the cab driving through NY. Of course there's inherent softness and lens blur, but that's not an issue. Conversely, I found the dialog a little harsh on the ears at times (and I don't mean the profanity!), though maybe it works better through a sound system, which I don't actually have! In any case I'm more of a PQ buff.... if only all transfers could be handled like this!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. KBD1

KBD1 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Last nights viewing was Bridge On The River Kwai, 1st time viewing in about 20 years:laugh:
    PQ was so so, but reasonable.:)
    Catching up on the old releases, Guns Of Naverone, Stand By Me & Boyz In The Hood.
    Leaving Ben Hur, for a Sunday night in these forthcoming winter nights :smashin
  13. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,952
    Wow just watched Quatermass And The Pit and this realy is the very best i have seen it look, and is still in my top 10 greatest films.:smashin:

PQ 8
    AQ 7
    FQ 10.

Fantastic.:smashin:
  14. rawdonwhite

rawdonwhite Active Member

Ratings:
    +294
    saturday night :

the others - enjoyed it, but certainly not as good (or as creepy) second time round when you know the twist. thought erik sykes and fionulla flanagan were great. picture quality was very good considering it's pretty much a very dark (and grey) movie. FQ 7/10, PQ & AQ 8/10

sunday night

poltergeist - loved it, first time in years i have seen this. still a really enjoyable ghost story. think the effects are still pretty decent (seeing as this is almost 30 yrs old. ok a couple of scenes looked ropey, but did not distract). felt very much like steven spielberg directed and not tobe hooper ;-). FQ 8/10, PQ 8/10 and AQ 7/10

monday night :

red dragon - a bit meh this one. an okay thriller, but one where you knew what was going to happen. no real surprises and seems like many other films of the same genre. most of the actors just seemed to be going through the motions. SPOILER -
    don't think ralph fiennes really cut it is as the boogie man so to speak, whereas in schindlers list his performance really showed he can play pure evil when he wants
    - thought the picture quality was very good FQ 6/10, PQ 9/10, AQ 8/10
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  15. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,260
    Being John Malkovich. Had not watched this in a while. It's still my favourite of the films written by Charlie Kaufman and it's overflowing with brilliant ideas, gags and performances. The Blu-ray doesn't look too hot, but then it's a film that looks rather subdued on purpose. Spike Jonze wisely counteracts the surreal whimsy of the screenplay by giving the film a sober look that adds a matter of fact quality where you just accept the absurdity of the concept. Still better than the DVD and it's good to see one of my ten best films of the 90s on Blu.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,635
    Was, I Saw The Devil,if you like Oldboy you will like this,i like Oldboy,sometime it can be a very dark film,not alway easy to watch.

pq sq both very good

:)
  17. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,736
    Stand by Me

Still one of my favourite movies of the 80s. I was the exact same age as Gordy and the gang when this came out, but I didn’t see the movie until a year or two later on video. By that time I’d already started high school and crossed that watershed into adolescence. Nevertheless, this resonates with me as much as anyone (I was the Gordy character but wished I was Chris). I had similar friends, with similar personalities and similar obsessions. I also climbed fences and broke into building sites, got chased by angry men, bullies and dogs, and talked about girls, movies and cartoons. The ‘final thought’ is absolutely spot on. And Keifer Sutherland is brilliant in it- I always prefer him when he plays a bastard :devil:. And RIP River.

The Pie eating contest is still brilliant- and to think Reiner came close to cutting it!

Have to say I was rather disappointed with the picture quality. On my lil’ old 40” screen it isn’t noticeably better than a DVD (even up close). I wasn’t expecting it to get 5 star, 4k treatment, but I expected it to be sharper and more colourful than it was. Brightly lit daytime scenes (of which there are many) look great, but in low contrast scenes the picture is fuzzy and indistinct, and black crush plagues the night-time scenes. Does it look better than ever on blu? Maybe. As good as it can look? I doubt it.

I recommend the picture-in-picture commentary with Reiner, Wheaton and Feldman, and the doc is worth a look.

FQ: 9
    PQ: 7
    AQ: 7
  18. raduv1

raduv1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +429
    Tonight I'm watching Aliens special edition on bd,, Never looked or sounded better on me new system :smashin: To me this is the perfect sequel to alien which I adore but this raised the bar for me. Wish all sequels were this good only Dark Knight gets this sort of praise from me . Please please let Promethious be this good.
  19. raduv1

raduv1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +429
    OMG I've just realised LT Gorman in aliens is Jim Cover in the last series of spooks
  20. irascian

irascian New Member

Ratings:
    +302
    A black and white classic from 1958. Really enjoyed this with a superb performance from John Mills as an alcoholic army officer.

The picture quality is stunning for the most part and this is first rate transfer. Thre's the occasional silver fleck but the detail in most shots is amazing. There's one or two unbelievably soft shots that almost look like cutting floor rescues or as if they were taken off a TV capture, but they're only noticeable because the rest of the transfer is so good.

Highly recommended.
  21. raduv1

raduv1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +429
    Very good Sunday afternoon film great acting from a great cast
  22. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,260
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Quite funny in places, but it's a one joke movie that doesn't quite sustain itself to the end. Tyler Labine is rather good as the shy, bumbling redneck mistaken for a backwoods killer. Never heard of him before and then I saw him in two films in one day (the other one was the excellent Rise of the Planet of the Apes)
  23. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,736
    Talking of which, do you reckon that one's worth a blind punt? Being a fox release it wont be available to rent on blu until long after the retail release. I remember enjoying the original version of it with McDowell and Richardo Montleban. And Im always crying out for new (quality) sci-fi to add to my collection.
  24. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,260
    That's why I went to see it at the cinema yesterday, because I realised I won't be able to rent it. The film was the most pleasant surprise I've had in a long time at the pictures. I didn't like any of the publicity and thought it looked silly, but the film was the best big summer movie I've seen in a while. It has an involving story, great characters (especially the apes) and a spectacular climax. I even stifled a tear there towards the end. :D It remembers something so many special effects blockbusters seem to forget about these days: that you have to care about the characters. The Blu is a first day purchase for me. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  25. Robert S

Robert S Member

Ratings:
    +111
    House by the Cemetery - yikes... not pretty. I'm hardly the biggest Fulci fan, but this takes the cake even for him - it's arguably even more ineptly designed and lacking in tension than the flaccid, frequently risible City of the Living Dead. Also features the kind of kid that makes you think humanity may be on a hiding to nothing. One or two tasty atmospheric moments threaten quality, such as the sequence with the decapitated mannequin, but there's very little to redeem the lingering horrors of Dr. Freudstein and his toy bat. Like most of these Italian horrors (i.e. films not directed by Argento, Bava or Soavi), the soundtrack tends to be the best part. Saying that, I still rate Fulci's The Beyond, and Zombi 2 is enjoyable trash.

The PQ is generally reasonable (similar to City, so shares similar problems/virtues). AQ is fine.

Sold my disc already (film quality rather than disc issues).
  26. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,260
    I've never made it through that one without falling asleep. I was briefly tempted by the Blu, but you reminded me what a snooze the film is. Shame, because I like the central idea for the monster in the basement.

After the more high profile zombie/supernatural Fulci films I hope they'll release his gialli on Blu. The Psychic, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Don't Torture a Duckling are his most accomplished and stylish films IMO.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  27. Jim Di Griz

Ratings:
    +986
    Thanks for that Todd. The publicity etc put me off a bit - even though I would have watched it at some point. Now I definitely want to see it! Hope my expectations have not been raised too much now! ;)
  28. HitmanKelly

HitmanKelly Active Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Just been informed by the missus that she's never seen Close Encounters... out of the 3 versions included on the Blu, what's the best one to opt for for a first time viewing?
  29. rebel_scum

rebel_scum Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,677
    Show her Paul instead. :laugh:
  30. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,260
    The final Director's Cut is the best version, though personally I like the original Theatrical Version just as much because that's the film I went to see several times when it came out. The Special Edition is the one to avoid, because the scene inside the space ship was studio imposed and just doesn't fit. Watch it later if you are curious.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.