Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for starting Golf

Discussion in 'Sport Forum' started by KhalJimbo, Feb 26, 2009.

1. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    I did and it was a rather sweeping statement
  2. McFaber

McFaber Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Sweeping statement, where?

The fact you cherry-picked some of my comments and tried to twist them to your advantage, is not worth commenting on and is futile at best.

Au revoir.:)
  3. Lin3ar

Lin3ar Active Member

Ratings:
    +625
    I suppose if a novice golfer gets his clubs custom fitted and he gets a confidence boost because he thinks the clubs are ideal then it can only help.

There is no excuse for a bad shot other than a bad swing:thumbsup:
  4. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Ah quite while your ahead LOL......

I wasn't cherry picking some of your comments, mearly highlighting the ones for someone who claims to be Scratch+2 would never make IMO and if you not going to back them up then I'll rest my case :smashin:

À tout à l'heure
  5. marekb

marekb Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Another golf noob here,

Started playing/hacking last year when a few of the guys in the office invited me out, I borrowed an old set of el cheapo's from a mate to have a swing with then went out on a 9 hole, thought it was a quite fun so purchased 3 lessons with a pro, he gave me a few pointers on stance, grip, backswing and follow though, the pro advised me to use the 7-PW to start with, which I feel was good advice.

Whilst I was taking the lessons the missus found me a set of ping eye 2+ in a charity shop, I had these adjusted and new grips fitted. Just these 2 and a bit hours with the pro and a few evenings smacking the ball on the range helped me immensly and such my interest/love for the game has grown, I even go and play on my own friday afternoons as its such a good way to wind down.

Most importantly enjoy the game, the fresh air, the exercise and cameraderie.
  6. Lin3ar

Lin3ar Active Member

Ratings:
    +625
    Nice one, well said:thumbsup:
  7. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +644
    You're 1 in a million then, just to start out as a 28 that is.

Then to drop to 10 in 4 months is 1 in a billion.
  8. sianba

sianba Member

Ratings:
    +62

I have to agree this seems dodgy, ive been playing 16 years and best i got down to is 12 currently at 14 on my day can hit a single digit over par but in all my average is 13 and yet after 6 lessons down to 10 from 28 come on.

Si
  9. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062
    Hmmm, I've never been told I'm a liar before so blatently:rolleyes:

DJT, you were quoting 5 to 10 years to get good enough to enjoy the benefits of custom fitting...........now if you aren't good enough to be able to hit a reasonable ball well within 12 months with practice and lessons then you are never going to be.

sianba. just because you can't do it doesn't mean other can't, I'm not a liar and don't just post stupid comments on a forum for effect. We have a junior at our club who has been playing 6 months and he's down to 4. Maybe he and the pro are lying as well.:suicide:
  10. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062
    DJT, I got my first handicap certificate with 28 after 2 lessons and 3 rounds over a weekend after having my first round the week before with my work Partner when I shot 101 on a par 72 which was my first ever round over 18 holes.

I was hooked from the start and practiced every night after work all the things I was taught in the lessons. I played in comps every week and my handicap dropped. I broke 80 within 3 months of my first lesson but found that when I got to 10 I hit a brick wall. I stayed around this for years but not practicing through lack of time didn't help.

I have seen members reduce handicaps very quickly then hit a brick wall like me, I don't really think it's out of the ordinary.

If you have good hand eye coordination and practice hard with lessons you can get reasonably good within a short space of time.
  11. justincase

justincase Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I agree that you can cut your handicap considerably in a short space of time,best i managed was 12
    The difference with me was that it took a while to make much improvement at all and then two things happened,i left the driver in the bag on the holes when it wasn't really needed due to a mate explaining course management to me and not practicing in the middle of a round which i think are big mistakes that players (myself still at times:eek:)make
  12. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062
    You are right, it just needs something to click and off you go but ask most players they will agree that it's far far easier to go own from 28 to 10 than it is to go from 10 to low single figures.

A ten handicap is reasonable but not difficult to attain if you have a little ability.
  13. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +644
    I'm not denying you did, it's not impossible. I was merely stating how fortune you are - you obviously had a gift for golf immediately, great! :smashin:

Now the average starter will not be hitting a round of 101, they won't even be hitting a round of 151, in fact they will make a total mess of at least 2 holes & not even bother counting them. The average player will not be playing in comps for years, or maybe even ever, or certainly not in the first few months, they also won't be practicing every night for months on end. So, I still hold firm in my belief that custom fit clubs are years away.

Had someone come on here saying they've been playing for a couple of years hoovering around the same mid-high handicap & was looking for advice on how to improve their game - fair enough, try some custom clubs, but it really is not the best advice for someone who has never swung a club - or someone still finding their feet in the game, IMO.
  14. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062
    OK, but I still don't see any sense in using clubs that may or may not be holding back improvement.

Only opinions at the end of the day so the OP should decide what he thinks best and go with it.
  15. StevePSIV

StevePSIV Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,185
    Little bump for this thread as I've just placed a bet with a friend of mine!

Basically, I started playing golf (very badly) at the end of summer last year. I'm looking to get going again this year and that starts tonight with a night down the local range followed by nine holes tomorrow morning.

The bet I've taken out with a friend (who is average) is that I can/will beat him in a round of golf before the end of September!

Now I know this isn't going to be easy. At the moment I'm just using a full set of clubs that someone gave to me. They seem fine for me as a beginner.

I'm thinking that lessons are the main thing, how many/often should I be having lesson and what is a reasonable price to expect to pay for these lessons?

I'm normally pretty good at most sports so I'm hoping the same will apply to golf and that I'll picks things up quicky! Bit of an OCD when it comes to competition so need to win a round of golf against this friend.
  16. markonline1

markonline1 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    What a great thread, and what some terrible advice for people just starting out LOL.
    I agree with the folks that say lessons if your just starting out. I would look at maybe one every 3 or 4 weeks. Learn something then ingrain it down the range. Round here (Surrey), lessons are on average 25 quid for 30 to 40 minutes.
    If your just atarting out, I would say custom fitting isn't necessary, unless already said, you are exceptionally tall or short. American Golf do free fitting anyway, and all they will do is measure you and get you to hit balls of an impact board to check your lie angle. When I bought a set from there a whikle back, I ended up with a set of the shelf, as I suspect most of their customers would. You may as well get this done for free I suppose if its offered. Thats not proper custom fitting though. The lie angle will have nothing to do with how you adress the ball. It will be adjusted to your ball flight. My current set were fitted by a PGA pro using a launch monitor. Despite being just under 6 foot tall, I ended up with 1 degree upright to tackle my, er, fade :D.
    As a beginner will hopefully see some improvement and development of a decent swing, I can't see the point in going for proper custom fitting with a PGA pro rather than the fake fitting at AG till you have a repititive swing that works and your happy with.
    A far better piece of advice is to try and select a few sets of clubs with different shafts. Graphite will generally fly higher than steel. KBS steel shafts in my hands flew considerably higher in my hands than the more penetrating flight of the True Temper shafts. Others may be different. Thats why you need to try a selection of different shafted clubs. All this IMHO of course.
    I'm a 12 handicapper playing for around 20 years.
  17. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    any suggestions for a good cheap set of clubs? I used to do lessons (never played a proper round though) but not done that for 5 years. My son now does lessons and I'd like to spend some time with him on the range and practice greens. But I don't want to spend a fortune on clubs just in case its short lived.

Maybe just a driver/7 iron/putter, or a basic half set? American golf any good (we have one nearby) or JJB/similar?
  18. BT@HOME

BT@HOME Active Member

Ratings:
    +245
    I would either look at somewhere like sports direct (you can pick up just a couple of cheap single clubs from their range), or get some 2nd hand clubs (again you can pick and choose what you want). As your only wanting to try out on the range a full set etc would seem to be overkill to start off.

Most golfers buy clubs on an ongoing basis. I certainly have plenty of drivers/fairway woods/putters to fit out another couple of bags. Irons I tend to keep only one set of though. I really must get around to listing them in the Classifieds ;)
  19. minniepk17

minniepk17 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sports Direct, Nevada Bobs or American Golf would be great places to pick up a few clubs and at a decent price. Advice from BT@Home re: the range is spot on - most will let you hire the clubs or just let you take a couple when you buy a bucket of balls to hit. Good luck and enjoy!
  20. ShotGunJay

ShotGunJay Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I've only just got back into playing the game after a 10 year break! Although I was very young back then when I was playing and getting lessons. I've decided to try my luck by playing a few 9 Hole courses first to get a feel for my game again and then once I feel comfortable enough I'll probably drop down to my local golf club and get a few refresher lessons. I've just bought a new set as well from The Sports HQ, saw these were on a deal and just though that I had to buy them! They came today and they look and feel great, I'll be able to say how they play with me etc when I finish a short round tomorrow.

( Link to Golf Set - Woodworm Golf ZOOM Clubs Package Set + Bag - The Sports HQ )
  21. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062
    Which bits are terrible advice....just so the OP can discount them:thumbsup:

However, after nearly 3 years he is probably playing off single figures with his newly custom fitted clubs by now.;)
  22. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062
    About 10 years ago (I think) I was custom fit by American Golf...well by one of the guys there. They had a launch monitor back then and I tried many different sets of clubs, the same clubs with different shafts etc and the computer was giving trajectory and distance readings which at the end of the fitting were analysed by the guy. It turns out the guy who did the fitting was a irish Golf Team coach who had worked with Darren Clarke, he seemed to know his stuff.

The clubs weren't off the shelf standard spec. 1 degree upright, stiff shafts with thinner grips is what I ended up with If I remember right.

I'm not sure what proper custom fitting is but it was pretty much what my club pro does now.

Anyway, like I said 3 years ago in this thread......get some lessons. When you have improved it would be absolutely crazy not to get your clubs custom fit......like you and others have said, it is usually a free service.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  23. deantown

deantown Member

Ratings:
    +141
    The best money anyone will spend on golf is Lessons. After each lesson go to the golf range on your own and practice what you have been taught.
  24. lovegroova

lovegroova Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Buy a putter. Learn to putt properly. It'll save you more shots than custom fit clubs and all the technical gubbins that the manufacturers try to sell you.

Remember, a 1" putt counts the same as a 300yd drive. 20 yards extra distance on a drive is no use if it's 20 yards further into the trees.

Have some lessons at a range, most will do a "buy five get one free" arrangement. Space them out to allow enough time to practice what you're taught.

If all goes well, buy a cheap set from ebay or 2nd hand from your local pro shop. Play, practice and enjoy. Once you begin to get some consistency, have some more lessons and ask the pro what clubs he recommends for you.
  25. Ultima

Ultima Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,062

When I first started playing golf putting was the last thing I wanted to do. If I could putt like Ben Crenshaw but not hit a 7 iron 50 yards and reasonably straight I would have packed in. That's how most, if not all, beginners think.

You really need lessons to teach you the fundamentals of the golf swing, posture, grip, alignment, ball postion etc (before you learn all those bad habbits) to give you any hope of improving and enjoying the game.......and then it really is pointless not having your clubs custom fit when it's FREE when buying new clubs. If custom fitting results in standard off the shelf clubs being right for you, so what.....it doesn't always though.
  26. ShotGunJay

ShotGunJay Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I've been managing to get few rounds in at the one of the local courses, most of my shot play has been fine apart from my driving with a Driver/3 Wood. I can always get the height and distance but I always seem to have the ball go straight and then at the end of the shot it just goes off to the right. I've changed my stance, the way I address the ball and how I'm following through with the shot, has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you sort this out and for any people that already know their stuff can you give me any tips?
  27. McFaber

McFaber Member

Ratings:
    +129
    There are a multitude of reasons on why you maybe doing this and without seeing you swing and hitting balls I don't it would be wise to suggest any tips other than to arrange a appointment with a club professional. :smashin:
  28. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308

Driver = hardest club in the bag to hit , go and see a pro :)
  29. Woodywizz

Woodywizz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,988
    I have custom fit Ping G15 irons and I15 driver/3 wood/utility club......and I'm still terrible :D

My one tip....get lessons.
  30. deantown

deantown Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Just to put Golf in to perspective. Two weeks ago I won the Monthly Medal,last week I came 50th. You can never tell when you are going to play well. Or at least I cant ;)