Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tips for negotiating subscription discounts now im out of contract

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by thelurch, Oct 5, 2009.

1. thelurch

thelurch Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Im just outside my 12 month HD contract so thought I would do the phonecall to try and get a special offer/discount on my subscriptions with ideally no change to the channels I receive.

I phoned a couple of weeks ago and got through to cancellations and tried the old "need to save money, want to cancel etc" hoping they would offer a deal but instead I wasted 15 minutes while he went through how much I could save by removing each different part of the package!

So I phoned at the weekend and decided to go down the honesty route which didnt work either saying I have heard there are special offers around to keep people but was told no.

At the end of both calls they basically told me the procedure for cancelling and both offered to process it for me ! :mad:

So have I just been unlucky or are there really no offers to keep me (Im not going to leave them)

I have been with Sky for 10+ years

Any ideas?
  2. wilbanat

wilbanat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,426
    I don't think they really do any deals on the subs and as they can't offer you any thing new then they can't really do much.
    They only offer you things if they are going to get more money out of you. thought they might of offered multi room as then its more a month..
  3. Cloverleaf

Cloverleaf New Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Always hear a lot of stories about how threatening to cancel magically produces a discount; always struck me as a high risk strategy if you ain't serious :rotfl:

I'm sure there is some truth in it, I called once to (genuinely) cut my package back and they gave me a 6 month discount, which was nice :D

I think though that if they offered a discount automatically to everyone who threatened to cancel it would cost them quite a few quid; maybe they have just got to the stage wher they are calling peoples bluff ? I mean where you gonna go, especially for HD ? Virgin ?? Purleeease.....
  4. Starburst

Starburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    There is a retention budget so once that has been spent or the number of deals allocated at the rep discretion than you get nothing, remember every deal has to be paid for from the profits to maintain ARPU so eventually SKY would lose money and well they don't need to keep subscribers to the same extent as say VM and BTV.

It's not unusual to get mail shots or specific deals via letter at some point after cancelling.
  5. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Unfortunately that counts against you, when trying to get retention deals.

You either need to follow through with cancelation or drop your package to a lower tier.
  6. skelk

skelk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I genuinely wanted to cut my package or cancel to save money and recently called. They gave me 25% off until sometime next year which is always good and I got rid of my movie packages and some other channel subscriptions. On a very basic package now but with HD. I suppose you have to be willing to cancel to get any deals or be lucky and call at the right time.

I suppose if I wanted to upgrade again in the future then they might be willing to give me a good deal. I'd love to cherry pick the channels I do watch (i.e. Premiere movies/Scifi).
  7. BrianMc

BrianMc Member

Ratings:
    +156
    While Sky still do some retention deals they had a change of policy a year or two back - where they tightened up on this a lot and shed the "serial discounters" - by not offering them a renewal!

This is totally unlike Virgin Media on cable! Their forums are full of how, if people there theaten to cancel, they can get amazing (and long term!) deals. Why VM has not yet gone bust constantly amazes me!
  8. machinehead

machinehead Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I would have thought Sky have that many providers now,there is no need do "deals" cheap or otherwise.At the end of the day I'm quite sure the new subscribers way outnumber the ones that leave.
  9. KenVal

KenVal Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Yep success ! Phoned to cancel saying it was for cost reasons & sky gave me a £ 12 discount for 6 months. Not such a bad lot !!:)