1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tim's 7.24TB "Tiddler" Unraid NAS.

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Tim Cooper, Mar 19, 2011.

1. TallPaul

TallPaul Member

Ratings:
    +21
    If you want an easy HTPC have a look at MythTV and a linux distribution built to support all the drivers from the start like MythBunto.
  2. theronkinator

theronkinator Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I installed the latest HP bios and then the AHCI/sata port hack from the OP and it worked fine and shows me as running the latest bios still.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. wiz

wiz Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Anyone got any screen shots of UnRaid. Just want to know what it looks like

:lease:
  4. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I found this on google
    Its just the Main page,there's also users, shares, setting etc as per the blue links.
    I tried version 5 of the software initially and it looks pretty snazzy in comparison to this example.
  5. urto

urto Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,
    a quick update on my installation to let you know that it is finished. No problem once the BIOS hiccup was resolved. Well, just one because of my crappy router but it went away.
    I decided to go with Unraid so I only have 2 disks in my array at the moment. But I have started storing movies and the streaming to my HTPC works superbly even though it is connected through homeplugs :D
    So I'm gonna buy the Plus version to get the 5 disks working. Well worth the 70 dollars from what I have seen.
    One last thanks to Tim for starting this thread and providing all this info.
    Cheers,
    Urto.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mtwelve

mtwelve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to be a lot of uServer tinkerers in this thread so I wondered if anyone would lend their 10 pence to my dilemma:

I'm gonna play with ESXi for a bit and so will be upgrading to 8GB of RAM and have the following two options in my sights:

Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz - ValueRAM

Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz - HyperX Blu RAM with HeatSync

Now its £4 to get slightly better performance with the HyperX Blu RAM... but obviously it comes with a heatsync. I've measured the gap between the top of the RAM and the HDD casing and reckon its about 6mm. I've calculated the heatsync to add between 2-3mm to the height of the RAM from these reviews: LINK1 LINK2.

Questions are:

Has anyone upgraded with the HyperX Blu RAM or has any access to it?

What are people thoughts to potentially halving the free space above the RAM? The fan does pull the air the best direction...

Hows the Kingston ValueRAM working out for people?

Thanks
    Sam
  7. alasrati

alasrati Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Fan pulls front to back and RAM runs front to back doesn't it? So airflow isn't an issue. It's just a matter of physical clearance.

Having said that, what is the point of the heatsink in this case? No need for it.

Also the heatsink one is out of stock.
  8. mtwelve

mtwelve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Only that it offers slightly better performance; or did you mean something else?

I'm sure its available else where but would increase the price difference
  9. alasrati

alasrati Member

Ratings:
    +95
    They are both CL9, 1333Mhz though so at default neither offers better performance. The heatsink may help if you overclock and need to increase the voltage to the DIMM but I don't think the HP mobo supports this.
  10. mtwelve

mtwelve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, but going by the datasheets from Kingston the heatsync version would seem to offer slightly better performance... its likely the same ram just overclocked as stock:

Datasheets (PDF):
    Without heatsync

With heatsync
  11. alasrati

alasrati Member

Ratings:
    +95
    You are looking at the wrong spec sheet. The ebuyer RAM is KVR1333 not KVR1066.

So one is:
    cheaper
    in stock
    won't have any clearance issues

The other:
    has shiny blue heatsinks

Stop prevaricating!
  12. mtwelve

mtwelve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped "prevaricating" and ordered the ValueRAM! wooo

Just gotta wait for free ebuyer shipping... though it did deliver the MicroServer next day so I could get lucky
  13. alasrati

alasrati Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Well done!

You can always play with Linux or something on the Microserver in the mean time.
  14. BlairLoch

BlairLoch Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Fairly annoying UnRaid does not support 3TB discs yet!
  15. BlairLoch

BlairLoch Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Will begin setting mine up tonight, I think the pre clearing of the disks takes 36 hours :O Wish me luck!
  16. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think this is proportional to the amount of RAM you have. Mine took 27 hours from memory. Also, dont forget you can run multiple instances of 'screen' using the preclear script. Good luck
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  17. BlairLoch

BlairLoch Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Last night was a bit of a rush as I was going out so I managed the following

Update Bios of Microserver
    Update firmware of my 3 samsung F4 drives
    Installed UNRAID and set it up to pre clear my 3 drives.

Once this is all done I shall setup my array using the 3 drives. Then once that is done I will copy over my data from my pc's 2TB drive and an external 500 gig I have.

After that is done and parity etc is confirmed to be working I shall take the 2TB from my pc, pre clear it, and add it to the array. This will give me 5.4TB of useable space using 4x 2TB drives :)

Next up is a 2.5" smaller drive to use for cache so I can get a nzb downloader installed and then when needs be, another 2TB drive to expand the array to 7.2TB

Thanks very much tim and everyone else in this thread, couldnt have done it without you all and now I am just hoping it works as planned!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. BlairLoch

BlairLoch Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Seems I can actually mount my current hard drive from my pc into UnRaid and copy the files across that way, meaning it will be much faster! Ideal :)
  19. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone got a second USB memory stick installed in their MicroServer?
    I am looking at using it for running/storing some of the extra programs on (squeezebox server). However, as i have mine running headless its difficult to see what is happening when the second USB is connected during boot up.
    Has anyone else managed this and how?
  20. alasrati

alasrati Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I would just run everything off a single, larger USB stick if required.

Otherwise, just insert the second stick after the system has booted and ssh or whatever into the box to see what happens.

You don't mention which OS you are running though (or maybe you did earlier but I am too lazy to check :p).
  21. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm running unRAID, the 4.7 version I think?
    The thinking behind the second stick is that the numerous writes for log files and such lessens the life to the USB memory quite considerably. Hence not wanting to damage and/or cause potential problems with the OS stick, and also having a pro license essentially tethered to that stick could prove costly.
    I think I'll use some wedding time to investigate what the bios and boot process offer. It's a shame if I can't get around this though.
  22. David_S14

David_S14 Member

Ratings:
    +10
  23. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Damn, one of my HDD's is throwing up errors, Unraid has just chucked it out of the array.
    New drive ordered & an RMA from Scan raised.
    I just hope that i don't get another drive failure between now & tomorrow or else i'll be losing data.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  24. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Cant you turn it off for this short time and do without?
  25. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Member

Ratings:
    +88
    I reckon i can although the failing drive is still accessible as is the array although in a degraded state:smashin:
  26. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    How's the replacement going?
  27. BlairLoch

BlairLoch Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Just to let everyone know I have been using my UnRAID Server every day since I set it up on the 22nd of April. This thing has been faultless and even my parents and girlfriend are impressed (combining it with my revo for xbmc).

My next upgrades are;

2.5" Hard drive for cache and nzb download temp storage
    extra 2 gig of ram for running programmes such as nzb downloader and squeezeserver
    IcyBox Dock thing that holds and 3.5" and a 2.5" in a 5.2" bay found in the microserver.

I am almost tempted to buy another box at the price you can get them and have it ready for when I run out of storage, or want to start another project.

I'd recommend this to anyone wishing to make a smallish server for media use, it really is the best thing out there.

I ran some tests the other day, 3 computers playing the same file (1080p MKV) at the same time was fine, as was 3 different files. Gonna borrow a friends laptop and see how it handles 4.
  28. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Member

Ratings:
    +88
    New drive came yesterday, followed these instructions:
    FAQ - unRAID
    Took another 800 odd minutes to rebuild, all done now, perfect:D
  29. BlairLoch

BlairLoch Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Thats good to hear tim! Bit of reassurance goes down well! Are you using a UPS on your unit yet?
  30. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Did you preclear first then add it to the array or should i read the FAQ?