Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ticketmaster

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by ldoodle, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    Are flipping w*****s. Their website does not work on Windows 7. Just tried to book tickets for Lee Evans but it just says there was an error.

Remoted in to my Windows XP machine at home and it's bloody fine. Simultaneous requests always result in the Windows 7 machine failing, with the XP machine fine every time.

Now there's only crap seats available.

Bloody cowboys :mad::mad:
  2. JimmyMac

JimmyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,511
    been only crap ones available from practically the start, I got through to my seats at about 9:03am and they were right in the gods at the back
  3. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    That's the thing, we need 12 tickets and my mum was online at the same time (using XP), she got straight in and had literally the best seats at Wembley, smack bang in the middle.

They should have a banner on their website saying Windows 7 does not work.

To say I am fuming is an understatement :mad:
  4. russ123

russ123 Member

Ratings:
    +76
    They were on Watchdog last night saying how as soon as tickets go on sale there are no good ones available and yet somehow they are all for sale on the Get Me In site they link to on the right hand side which is supposedly for selling spares. They are also owned by TM so they have a vested interest in resales as they get commission again. Buying tickets for major events now has become a joke.
  5. Chox1988

Chox1988 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,986
    doesnt windows 7/internet explorer 8 have a compatibility mode to work with older style pages, not sure if that would remedy the situation
  6. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    Tried every comptability mode in IE, no difference.

Do Ticketmaster have a complaints number or e-mail address? For a giggle I will post what I tell them.
  7. nheather

nheather Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,326
    I was disgusted by TicketMaster on Watchdog last night.

As russ123 described, as soon as the tickets go on say you can find that the TicketMaster site is sold out, but their GetMeIn site has plenty.

The idea of the GetMeIn site is for customers who have bought tickets but later find they cannot attend to sell or exchange with other members of the public.

But the reality is that tickets are appearing on GetMeIn site within minutes of the event being made available and at vastly inflated prices - that clearly is not down to people who have since found they can't attend.

The tickets issued by TicketMaster have a printed warning on the back that they cannot be re-sold for profit yet they are knowingly and actively supporting it.

On the programme, a Ticketmaster customer service guy said that if saw someone re-selling tickets on eBay then they would cancel the ticket. But doing exactly the same ontheir own site is not a problem.

As russ123 said, TicketMaster take 10% of all sales so benefit from the touting.

There were even examples of the free Help for Heroes tickets being sold, with both the original owner and TickeMaster making a lot of profit out of the charitable event.

When approached, TicketMaster weren't interested. There only response was that they said they would give some of the profits made to charity. As for the touting, they seemed to be quite happy to let it continue.

They seem to hide behind the fact that it is members of the public doing the business and they have no control over it. But it is blatently obvious what is happening. At the least, TicketMaster could make it that tickets could not be resold until a period (month, two months etc) after they went on sale. It wouldn't stop all the touts but it would mean that they would have to have their money tied up for a long period. And they could ban the selling of free charity tickets. They could put a maximum price on the resale aswell.

Not impressed with them at all. Nothing but legalised touts in my opinion.

Cheers,

Nigel
  8. KlaraJones

KlaraJones Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yep I had a similar problem with opening web pages with Explorer 8 ..... I started to use Mozilla ... it's much better than Explorer :smashin:
  9. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
  10. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    I know it won't make a difference, but it's vented my anger :smashin:
  11. nheather

Ratings:
    +2,326
    One thing to try if you haven't already. Early this year, my family moved from XP to Win7. In most cases all has gone better than expected - a few of the children's old games wouldn't work, but pretty minor.

But we did encounter a handfull of websites that wouldn't work.

In all of our cases, the problem was because we were using the 64bit version of Win7. If you use this, then by default, the version of IE that is presented is the 64 bit version.

When looking at the problem, I found that there is also a 32bit version of IE tucked away in the start menu.

When we used this instead of the 64bit version all the problem sites worked fine.

So I have now set up all of the computers to use the 32bit version by defualt.

Cheers,

Nigel
  12. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,438
    Actually we use 64bit Win7 and I thought the 32bit of IE was still used by default...

Could be wrong though - a bit off my game.

All it would take would be for everyone to boycott GetMeIn etc and you would have a lot of chances stuck with tickets they didn't want and a lot of outlay and hopefully wouldn't try the same stunt again :)
  13. nheather

Ratings:
    +2,326
    When I say 'default' I'm using it quite loosely. As far as I'm aware there is no default configuration (though the htm file association must be linked to a particular exe).

What I meant was how it is presented, especially to the causal user.

These were Dell laptops for the wife and children and a vanilla Home install for me.

In each of these cases, the 'blue e' that was on the quick start bar, on the desktop and most obvious in the start menu were linked to the 64 bit exe. The shortcut name is also just Internet Explorer (no 64 bit mentioned).

I found the 32bit version in the start menu and by comparison this has '32 bit' as part of the shortcut name.

Cheers,

Nigel
  14. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,438
    The 'about' box is the way to tell for sure - the 64 bit one says 64 bit - the 32 bit one does not mention either way (natch).
  15. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    I'm running the 32-bit; The 32-bit launches as default. There is a seperate Start Menu shortcut for IE that has 64-bit in the name.
  16. nheather

Ratings:
    +2,326
    Not that then, worth asking.

I'll try TicketMaster on my PC when I get home as an experiment.

Cheers,

Nigel
  17. nheather

Ratings:
    +2,326
    Okay I have just tried it on my Win7 64bit home, with IE 8.

Works no problem for me. Obviously I didn't go as far as buying a ticket that I didn't want but I was able to select and event and get offered a ticket.

So at what point does yours not work?

Cheers,

Nigel
  18. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    I can select the event, choose the number and type of tickets, and as soon as I click Find Tickets, it redirects to a page that tells me the error.
  19. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,438
    Quickly whip down Chrome and use that instead? Or at least try it.
  20. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    All sorted now; still had to do it on an XP machine though. Managed to get much better seats at the Brighton Centre so not a bad result afterall.

That's not the point though.
  21. nheather

Ratings:
    +2,326
    I don't get that on my Win7\IE8 install. Finds tickets without a problem.

Cheers,

Nigel
  22. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,704
    I bought some concert tickets back in June for a Sheryl Crow gig at Hammersmith this Wednesday. A large number of people on our row had duplicate tickets; we got ours from Ticketmaster, but the people who had the same seats as us got them direct from the Hammersmith Odeon and had collected them that evening. There were lots of unhappy people as we got moved to other seats, some I believe ended up in the circle (the row in question was in the middle of the stalls and a good spot to be in judging by the brief stay I had in my seat :rolleyes:).

Did us a favour though...for some unfathomable reason they had 2 seats in the front row left side, so we got offered them. :thumbsup: For the encore she sang at a piano that was postioned right in front of us, which was like having our own personal show (there just happened to be a few hundred people behind us :D). As I've never managed to get at the front row it was a great experience, though I think I'll be wary of booking through then in future.

Was a bit loud near the front though. :)
  23. Mac Man

Mac Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Total scumbags. The very worst kind of profiteering low-life. Wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire. They're not known as Ticketb@st@rds for nothing.

They even do auctions for tickets on their own site, the scammy gits. They're no better than touts.

And their charges are nothing short of scandalous these days... over 10% is now the going rate for their service charge.

Problem is they have got the market completely stitched. All the venues are in their pocket. Various bands have tried to go outside the TM net without any success whatsoever.

It's dreadful that they control the price of tickets the way they do. Getmein is a joke... it's nothing at all to do with fans swapping tickets... it's just a touts paradise. Check out any gig that's going on their and you'll see sellers with at least 6 or 8 tickets for a gig.

"Really... you bought 8 tickets for a gig and nobody in your group is going? Wow, what a coincidence that is!!"

Not.

Hate buying from but they're just a fact of life these days. :mad::mad::mad:

Rant over,

And...... relax.