Thor (Zavvi Exclusive) (Blu-ray Steelbook)

Need this for my Marvel collection, as well as the Captain America Steel. Just need to reprint IM 1-2 then I am a happy lad. Oh then make some UK releases of the Spider-Man steel books.

Much too busy - too much montage work and the simplicity that made the predecessor a winner is gone. Given the great example that was there to work from they (the studio?) really couldn´t have messed it up more.
Disappointed at the lack of taste in that corporate type of design.
Frankly wouldn´t be surprised if these were re-released in other countries as well.

With regards to this and Cap America... I really don't see how they have messed up anything in this design. Regardless of opinion, these images and designs are officially approved before being put out, and a studio is well aware of what they are doing when designing something that is for a mass market. Sometimes they do basic, sometimes they do wonderful. There is NO mess up of any design, these are based on the amaray designs, that were produced a long time ago. These designs have been accepted by the masses on the amaray so why would they not be accepted now? Having them on a steelbook isn't anybody's cup of tea who actually collects steelbooks, but if the original two designs never existed and these had only just come out, or were the release designs back then, these would be accepted and be purchased in no time. It's only because there is something else, or better, (pre-releases) to compare them to that creates a negative opinion of these two.

I'll partly agree to the above in regards to the sales of these if they were original releases, in relation to the mess up, i feel they should have gone outside the box and used different artwork, not because its a mess, but because its not original

What makes a steelbook stand out (usually from experience) is that it has DIFFERENT artwork to the Amaray - as i type this and look at todays Batman arrivals, colour schemes are the same for Begins & Dark Knight but artwork is different, its what makes them standout.

I think thats what most people were expecting, something different, maybe better maybe not, but not an identical reproduction of a previous version, steel or not

Maybe my thoughts only i don't know, yes if these were the only versions available i'd buy em, but i doubt i'd look upon them in the same way as people looked upon the originals on day one

Yea, I agree with that. Different to the amaray would be better, but lets say the amaray were something else and these were the 'different' designs... they would be snapped up in no time.

I'm not exactly raving about them because I already have the amaray versions, but for me it's more the fact that they are now on a steelbook and i can now add more to my marvel collection.

Most people moaning about the artwork were hoping for identical artwork to the originals. I am glad they are disappointed.

The way I see it is that it is win/win for everyone. Owners of the original Steelbooks still have the privilege of owning the best versions available and those who just want to complete their Marvel collections now have an affordable choice. I don't see how anyone can moan about the artwork, they should just be glad these are getting released again so soon.

Yea, I agree with that. Different to the amaray would be better, but lets say the amaray were something else and these were the 'different' designs... they would be snapped up in no time.

I'm not exactly raving about them because I already have the amaray versions, but for me it's more the fact that they are now on a steelbook and i can now add more to my marvel collection.

Yep, agree on that too, they would no doubt sell if these were the "different" designs - only thing i can see is it being a wow factor thing

There's some steels that you buy, open and check out in the flesh and think WOW (examples being German Disneys, Blu Fans Oz - assumption, but artwork decrees it - even roger rabbit for the emboss work)

These don't have it, they seem to be the ones you cheer about and go yay i have it, but never really look at it the same way, whereas others (original Thor & Cap included) when out on display or in hand you kinda get that christmas present feeling all over again and go wow over and over again

So to sum up, i like the fact they are re released, but different to the others, i love that new (and old) collectors that missed the originals can still have a marvel phase one steel collection, and i know with the right work they will look better in the flesh, i just wish they'd have a bit more wow to them (not that i would buy if they did as i never double dip)

In typical Paramount Steelbook style both Thor & CA are almost guaranteed to come in a gloss finish, Border, Embossing. Im sure they will look awesome once in hand. Paramount never let us down.

In typical Paramount Steelbook style both Thor & CA are almost guaranteed to come in a gloss finish, Border, Embossing. Im sure they will look awesome once in hand. Paramount never let us down.

Yeah, really hoping they look better in hand than image suggests

Yeah, really hoping they look better in hand than image suggests

Im sure it will, i agree with most that the rear image is alittle lazy but really cant see what everyones beef is with the front artwork just because its the same as the amaray. This image will look awhole lot better in a high glass and embossing.

The other thing about these two is that Hulk matches them moreso than the other two. Granted, it's a landscape steel and not the best looking, but it does match better imo. Throw in Iron man 2 and you are nearly there...

Wow, thank god I got the HMV Thor and Cap America steelbooks, cos these ones arent as nice in my view, I didnt get Iron Man 1+2 though so I hope those releases are nicer, the HMV ones were quality.

says sold out...have I missed the pre-order ??? :( :( :(

If they are looking to charge £23.99 like Iron Man 3 they can forget it!

It's £15.99 on their website, so don't think they'll be looking to charge anywhere near as much as IM3. Even if it was sold at their 'RRP' it would only be £19.99

i actually think this is nicer then the hmv one. i won't be getting it cause im happy enough with the original but this definitely an improvement. the hmv one kinda looks cheap in comparison

i actually think this is nicer then the hmv one. i won't be getting it cause im happy enough with the original but this definitely an improvement. the hmv one kinda looks cheap in comparison

Not thor if serious :confused:

Not thor if serious :confused:

Confused.com, original looks cheap in comparison? Thats like calling a Veyron chep next to a golf GTI lol

Each to their own though

the original HMV one is better IMHO wish when they re-release steelbooks they would use the original art like they did with old boy.

Last edited:
They could have released a nice steelbook without copying the original HMV.

Instead they are releasing this nonsense.

Thought it was strange saying sold out already.

It hasn't gone live yet, it isn't sold out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom