Theydon's Perpetual Build (AKA Triggers Broom) & LAN Sessions

A quick (probably daft!) question from me coming up :D

When connecting power cables to hard drives, can 1 power lead cope OK with 3 hard drives or are you better using 2 or even 3 separate cables to power them?

When connecting power cables to hard drives, can 1 power lead cope OK with 3 hard drives or are you better using 2 or even 3 separate cables to power them?

1 power lead can deal with how ever many HDDs it has connections to power mate.

compared to GPUs HDDs take up **** all power really :)

i wonder if this rig can finally run Gothic 3 smoothly :D

You realise this is my bloody thread you are asking your questions in dont you? :D

I would have used just the one 'string' of SATA power if I could have got away with it, but with 1 x SSD, 1 x DVD, 2 x HD and 1 x hotswap? bay, it was one more than a string can power, so I used two.

Lol, I bloody hope so, I have not over clocked yet, but I will have a blast soon and report back for you mate :smashin:

To make sure I don't have to micro manage my documents etc, I repointed the following to one of the Samsung Spinpoints (titled 'Games')from the SSD: My Documents, Downloads and Pictures (Just right click and select the locations tab)

Installing Games to the same 'Games' drive.

The idea is to finish all of this up, run some 3dmark tests, get back to normal, then I will worry about overclocking later.

Even having only half a dozen non steam games to install really makes you appreciate the easiness of the Steam folder. I copied the Steam folder back to where I wanted it, ran the Steam.exe file which then propagated all the extra files it needed, and after a security email from Steam, I was back in business. Long live Steam! :)

Looks very nice and neat :smashin:

I would not be happy though that my memory is running single channel, seems a shame with a new setup not getting the most out of it.

Slightly annoyed yes, but I will do some digging to see what degredation I am getting from running in single channel.

The only way round it would be to twist the heatsink round - actually, I need to check how this is set up at the moment to ensure its sucking through the heatsink and out the back....

Would the memory fit if you removed the heatsink of the module?

Great thread by the way, ordered myself a obsidian 650D myself yesterday.

Have also added an i5 2500k and Asus Z68 mobo the my scan basket but havn't pulled the trigger yet.

Last edited:
Slightly annoyed yes, but I will do some digging to see what degredation I am getting from running in single channel.

The only way round it would be to twist the heatsink round - actually, I need to check how this is set up at the moment to ensure its sucking through the heatsink and out the back....

I think the better way is to have your heatsink facing up... as heat rises and this should get rid of the most of the heat through your top fan(s).

Nope :(

I reckon its the ATI card (seeing as how I needed a specific ATI driver)

Runs very silky maxed out, but slight stutters. I will test more, as all I did was run out of a cave into the forest area and come across a Troll who ****ted me. :D

Not sure that having disposable money in an account and drunken web browsing is the best combination, so while ordering a PSU for a little build for a mate, I accidently ordered the headphones I have been looking at for a while now, the Roccat Kaves.

I have been meaning to replace the battered Seinhiesser HD205's I have, and now I dont have to mispell the name any longer when I type what headphones I have. Just checking to see if I finally spelt them right, but no, I failed. :D

YouTube - ‪Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming Headset Review‬‏

Check the steam thread as I sink more Peroni and search for crappy games that score less than 40 and then gift them to friends. :D

Thats what happens when you give a not a bad headset to a typical Community Reviewer, you end up forgetting to go for a haircut.

I tried the Kaves on in PC World - as I model the 'angry looking skinhead' type of haircut, headphones need to be comfortable as I have no extra cushioning :D Plus I would like headphones that if you wear for 8 hours straight, dont try and pull your liver out of your ears with the 'pop' :smashin:

that's why you need Craig David Headphones :) i use a Jawbone for online gamine just for Voice chat nothing else.

Last edited:

I had this problem with my rig. Corsair Veangeance memory has rediculous heatsinks on the top of it. Luckily all my Motherboard, CPU, Cooler and Ram came as a package and the supplier swapped the Ram for some G.Skill Ripjaws x that actually fits under the fans of my cooler after i complained they were incompatible :thumbsup:

Even when turning the cooler 90 degrees to it wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How much did you get your Kaves for? 65?

£65 from Scan yes - They are not better than my Seinhiesssers so far though, apart from being more comfy and having a nifty little sub bass rumble to them - the sound quaility is not the best.

I have updated my realtek drivers so will test further, but regardless if that makes a difference or not, I pulled the trigger on a Xonar DS card anyway.

I know that onboard audio cant compete with a soundcard, but my board is supposed to be Dolby etc etc, and I expected better. I have read that loads of people have a Xonar DS (or DX) and the Kaves, and are all very happy with it, and I liked the Xonar myself in my old PC.

you should of gone for the Pci-e version at least then you can move it the next build.

£65 from Scan yes - They are not better than my Seinhiesssers so far though, apart from being more comfy and having a nifty little sub bass rumble to them - the sound quaility is not the best.

I have updated my realtek drivers so will test further, but regardless if that makes a difference or not, I pulled the trigger on a Xonar DS card anyway.

I know that onboard audio cant compete with a soundcard, but my board is supposed to be Dolby etc etc, and I expected better. I have read that loads of people have a Xonar DS (or DX) and the Kaves, and are all very happy with it, and I liked the Xonar myself in my old PC.

My Kaves sounded really bad with my onboard realtek. Managed to tweak them a bit but was not happy with the sound. Bought an X-Fi Titanium Fatality whatever and they sound better :smashin:.

guys - sorry for the stupid question, AND for continuing the slightly off-topic theme: I have a logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker system that I sue for gaming - genuinely get to hear movement behind me. I haven't used a mic yet, but i'm interested in some comms as part of improving squad play. So, what's the best solution? Speakers and a separate mike? or forego external speakers and do everything via headphones. Or something else?
Thanks

guys - sorry for the stupid question, AND for continuing the slightly off-topic theme: I have a logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker system that I sue for gaming - genuinely get to hear movement behind me. I haven't used a mic yet, but i'm interested in some comms as part of improving squad play. So, what's the best solution? Speakers and a separate mike? or forego external speakers and do everything via headphones. Or something else?
Thanks
A headset - else everyone you speak with will get annoyed that they can hear all of your game sounds via the mic.

hmm. when you think about it, that's pretty obvious. like i said - stupid question.
any recommendations?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom