1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theydon's Perpetual Build Thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by Theydon Bois, May 10, 2011.

1. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Not sure what this "smart caching" is.

I just use my SSDs for my apps.

One of them has my OS and all my programs installed onto it.
    The other has my steam folder installed on it.

Then I have my two data HDDs.
    with music, videos etc on them which is brilliant as if I want to re-install Windows I just totally wipe my SSD with the windows install on it...then all I have lost is my programs which takes all of 30 mins to download and install again.

Oh and btw if you use Firefox (not sure about other browsers) it would be a good idea to set the location of your downloaded files to a "normal" HDD.

E.g. mine:
    [​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Smart caching:

Earlier links I posted have hard drive access times as down here for normal hard drives and up here for SSD's, with smart cached access times for the Z68 chipset+SSD somewhere in the middle.

What yu gain is that ALL of your data access times are increased over that of a normall hard drive, not just super speeds for things stored on the SSD.

Apparently.
  3. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Looks like they are getting closer....quote from Tony in the thread I posted in:

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,272
    Firstly, do not use CrystalDiskMark with OCZ drives. They do not work properly with that test and frequent use of it will cause them to fail. AS SSD isn't good with them either.

The one to run is ATTO disk benchmark.

Although any tests should be done infrequently to stop issues occurring with the drives.

The best test is something like

Here are some tips that I shamelessly cut and pasted from another forum:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. wolvers

wolvers Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    OCZ only say that because their drives only run at full speed with data that is compressible. AS SSD uses uncompressible data so doesn't show the drives in a particularly favourable light, but like with any SSD testing it's not ideal to keep benching them as it's using up life cycles of the cells. ATTO on the other hand uses fully compressible data so will paint a much rosier picture for OCZ drives.

In reality, most data that an OS uses is compressible (can't remember the exact figure) but stuff like MP3s, video and photo files (probably other stuff too) are not compressible so if you have that sort of stuff on your SSD then it's useful to know what the performance of the drive will be. AFAIK, copying lots of music and videos to your SSD will not case it to fail!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Darth Maul inspects the new turbo tunnel purely bought for dramatic effect for his next encounter with the Jedi

[​IMG]

Early failed ideas for the film 'Usual Suspects' poster ad campaign

[​IMG]
  7. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Windows 7 arrived Saturday, and tomorrow I have a day off work to build my PC and take plenty of pics :smashin:

Tonight I need to move all my Steam folder and all my crap to a portable drive to prepare for the build, and update the firmware to 2.8 ready to install Windows to, as I will be testing my drive with a full windows installation prior to using it as a cache drive.

More from OCZ over the weekend:

Technical Discussion FW 2.08 discussion. 2.08 has shown to help a limited number of people BUT many still have issues. A new FW is on its way for beta test and I will advise on the progress next week. Please read the whole of this thread especially s.

8. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Good luck with it mate :) and enjoy the build!
  9. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,433
    Looking forward to it :smashin:
  10. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Started my prep work tonight.

Moved (or should I say moving as its nearly 300Gb) my Steam folder and a load of other files to a 500Gb portable drive.

Updated the firmware for my Agility 3 from 2.06 to 2.08, which was a pain in the arse to be honest, but possibly due to trying to update over wireless. I ended up using the bootUSB method which updated in a few seconds, after spending 20+ minutes ******* about. :rolleyes:

Bootable Tools for OCZ SandForce Driven SSD's
  11. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    PC up and running. I want to test the SSD first, so I am installing Windows to make sure I have a stable drive before blatting it again and using it as a cache drive.

Following these instructions for installation, as well as setting the SATA3 to ACHI rather than IDE (default)

Guide THE BASIC GUIDE & FAQ - ABC for OCZ SSD

Tons of pictures to follow, and lots of cable management tinkering - the amount of cables at the back is incredible at the moment......

Edit:

Installed Windows (did not use my key)
    Installed the Motherboard drivers, rebooted
    Ran WEI (scored 1.0! :)), downloaded VGA drivers and a few Windows updates, reboot
    Ran WEI again (7.5 overall die to the CPU and RAM! - GPU: 7.8, SSD: 7.7)

I then ran the ATTO benchmark for the SSD as I did for the Samsung Spinpoint. In that test the Sammy was hovering around 120Mb for most of the test, for the SSD, its over 350, and some are not far off 400Mb. :eek:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  12. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Turned off Drive Indexing on the SSD.

Thinking of leaving my OS on the SSD now, and just making sure I install games etc to the second drive and have the third for Data. I never had a huge amount of apps installed anyway, I use my Macbook for Adobe/Office based stuff, my gaming PC is a file server and games machine, and my HTPC is a file server/media centre, so I am lucky enough to have separate devices for specific tasks. :D

Just slowly setting my drives etc up at the moment, going to remove my data drive to ensure I don't format it by mistake, and then move back all the data etc I moved to the portable drive yesterday.

My old PC is a shell now that I need to clean up ready for my mate who is coming round tomorrow to build his PC into it - he had a early Core2 (4xxx I think?) running XP and so should see a nice jump to a Q6000@3.4 running Windows 7.
  13. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I think this is the best idea mate.

Have your OS and apps like office, IE, FF, Itunes etc etc all installed on the SSD.

This will give you a massive boost in terms of speed when launching things.

great stuff :)
  14. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    I'm not sure iTunes would benefit from being on the SSD unless you have all your music files on there as well?
  15. JimmyMac

JimmyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,372
    Just thought I would say thanks for the pics earlier on the P180 setup, i've since installed a corsair H50 for cpu cooling and removed the fan from the lower psu bay to enable cleaner cabling. Still not quite as clean as your's was but certainly better than it was before :)
  16. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Yep, I think I have convinced myself - I bought a super speedy drive and then muck about with caching mode? Nah....OS installation it is. :smashin:

My Macbook hosts my iTunes library, I only sync what I need to my devices, my 'other' PCs host my data. From what I have read though, I don't think your library would see a performance boost as the data is already compressed in mp3 format. I would confirm with someone else though who hasn't changed his mind about SSDs within a few pages on his build thread :D

Nice one. With no rear cut-outs to route cables its a chore, and you just have to do what you can :smashin:

Copying loads of data across now, so editing pics and uploading them, should have them ready within the hour.
  17. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Yes it would for the boot up times of the app (let's face it is is bloody slow!)
  18. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    A good worker never blames his tools....

I would like to point out straight away the camera is in a pink case because its my daughters camera, not mine. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Baby got back

As shown a few posts ago, the Dark Advanced is a beast of a heatsink, and requires a sturdy backplate..

[​IMG]

There are some that call me.........Tim...

Spread the 'gunk' on the heatsink rather than make a mess of the CPU and its holder.

[​IMG]
  19. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Roger Ramjet He's our man....

Small oversight on behalf of the motherboard manufacturers, surely - I know I picked the biggest heatsink, but a little bit more room would be nice. Another cm would have allowed me to utilise a dual RAM setup, as it is, I had to install the RAM to slot 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

[​IMG]

Attempts to bring back Play-school's 'through the square window' failed at the drawing board

The case has enough cables as it is without anything inside it! The normal case power, reset and light connections, plus USB3 cables that require re-routing outside the case and to the back of the motherboard, and the SATA power and data connections for the bay in the top of the case.

[​IMG]

The Devil waits for the stars to align..

The motherboard was a little out with the motherboard tray, so I pulled it all out and re-inserted it again.

[​IMG]

Minstrels

Just starting to add the cables and get a feel for the build as I add the white cables for power to the board (24 and 8 pin connections) and then the case LED/Power cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    1 1 2

The tool-free design requires Mr Screwdriver for a SSD, and looks so tiny.....everyone say ah........

[​IMG]

Spaghetti Junction

As I start to add more things and try to feed more cables, the back starts to fill up...where the bloody hell is it supposed to go?

[​IMG]

Room for one more on top

The build steps up a gear, and now looks more like the finished article. Lots of work in tidying the cables and getting them just right, even for the front section as shown, unplugging cables and re-routing them to get just right.

[​IMG]

A PC, Kerplunk and Buckaroo walk into a bar...

SO you tidy it all up at the front, route cables etc ......but then it looks like everything has fallen out the back!

[​IMG]

It Lives!

Leaving the mess of cables for the moment as they are, I just wanted to make sure the PC actually worked, so booted my creation up......

[​IMG]
  21. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,433
    I worry about you sometimes :D

Looking good man :smashin: Interested to hear your thoughts on it all
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. teljess

teljess Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    looks really good,i built my pc about 8wks ago thanks to the advice of the helpful members of the forums and had a motherboard fail on me which meant stripping the lot out after alot of swearing but after a few games of bfbc2 at max settings you forget about all of that.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    The GPU tried to ignore the cables creeping over the top to get him...

Still with wires everywhere, I installed Windows. As mentioned before I wanted to make sure I did not have one of the one percent of drives that potentially had problems, and so thought it would be more likely to spot a bad drive with the OS installed on it, through lockups or BSOD, rather than having a cache drive and not knowing if it was actually doing anything.

So I installed without entering a key (otherwise I may have had activation problems later) and then added all the chipset drivers and VGA drivers, and then ran the WEI as recommended by OCZ.

[​IMG]

Rang dang diggedy dang di-dang

Then the PC was turned off, and I set to work on the stupid amount of extra cables. I don't like the fact that there are no traditional USB3 headers, and instead it has pass through cables as such. Plus, I had no intention to use the fan controller switch, wanting the motherboard to do the work for me - my ASUS board previously could do this very well and I did not use my P180b case fan controllers either, using the motherboard to control it.

So, all of those cables were tied up and shoved into the top left hand corner to keep them out of the way.

[​IMG]

The Knee bone is connected to the.....

With the left side done, I started to work on the thicker cables for power and the GPU. This took a little while as I unplugged and replugged cables in to make sure that thicker cables did not run over each other, and also as the white braided cables have there own connection blocks, these needed to be taken into consideration too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let slip the PC of War!

....and its all done. I will see what I can do with the PSU cables at the bottom, it may be that I can tie them up to make it look cleaner. The braided cables I am very happy with, and will likely buy a USB header extension and HD audio one to replace the standard cables.

....but I will muck about with them later as I want to get the machine up and running and maybe even play a game tonight on my new PC :D

[​IMG]
  24. gvers

gvers Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    Very nice build :smashin:. Every time I look I get upgraditus. If JL don't write of my TV I may have to give in. Wish I had the case and patients/OCD for tidying cables.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    Yes it's very slow but I suspect that's because it's loading the library of tunes you have and if you started up iTunes without any music in it would be quick. I've not tried this, just guessing :)
  26. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Started to do things like AV and Steam and Windows updates, and then realised I should activate Windows now that I have decided to leave the OS on the SSD. Which failed as I have an upgrade disk. So re-installing Windows on top of Windows now....

I also added my last drive and moved some more stuff around, and had a little more of a tidy up with cables. You wont notice much, but I do. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  27. Sniper Ash6

Ratings:
    +5,433
    Looking good :smashin:

Bet you can't wait to hit some games? :D
  28. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Yep - doing it all over again tomorrow though, my mate is coming round to install his bits in my old PC! So maybe tomorrow night I will actually get a chance to play something!
  29. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,760
    No just iTunes which is shockingly bloated!

Got winamp and that is quick as lightening to load up with how ever many thousand songs i have.
  30. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,084
    I agree with that, I hate iTunes with a passion these days!