1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Voice (UK)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by raigraphixs, Mar 8, 2012.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,749
    Promo for upcoming UK version off music reality series The Voice. The original format was Dutch, known as The Voice of Holland, followed by a successful US version.

Jessie J, Tom Jones, Will.i.am and Danny O'Donoghue on the panel. Holly Willoughby and Reggie Yates host.

Four judges/coaches will choose teams of contestants through a blind audition process. Each judge has the length of the auditionee's performance to decide if he or she wants that singer on his or her team; if two or more judges want the same singer then the singer gets to choose which coach they want to work with.

24th March on BBC One.

2. QuestShield

QuestShield Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Seen some of these on Irish TV. Interesting format, except the contestants seem to get desperate when nobody swivels around so they start trying to belt out the tune at the top of their voice, which never works..
  3. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    I understand the premise, but how are contestants judged once they are past the initial blind audition stage? Does it just revert to X-Factor style comments and vote?
  4. dfergie

dfergie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The US version has their coach picking 2 of the contestants, pairing them up with a mentor who is in the industry, then putting them on the stage at the same time alternating on the same song.
  5. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,749
  6. redwing

redwing Member

Ratings:
    +100
    This just sounds like it would produce more Michelle McManus types.

They may win the show but without the all round package they dont usually get far .
  7. cryingscotsman

cryingscotsman Member

Ratings:
    +22
    But... Michelle McManus had a "round package"

Boom boom.

Seriously though, can we really stomach another talent show?!?
  8. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Is it me or is there 'canned' audience cheering at the start of each act? Looks to me like a small studio with the sound of a arena....
  9. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    Hilarious when Will played his victory music and the guy was just trying to explain why he was picking a different judge :p
  10. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    Despite the cliches, quite enjoyed it, pits mentors against each other from the onset. I personally can't stand the applause when the audience recognises the song, why is this a trend?
  11. MrSossidge

MrSossidge Active Member

Ratings:
    +421
    I can't stand Saturday night talent shows but I really enjoyed this.

I mean, listening to Sir Tom Jones "I was in Hawaii with Elvis ...... " Brilliant. Could listen to those bits all night and it's a refreshing change not to have a load of no hopers on stage acting the fool. These people can genuinely sing.

Great. Looking forward to next Saturday.
  12. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,318
    Far to much of their "stories" being told, all felt horribly cheesy, I ended up FF until the singing.

The interaction between the judges is amusing at times and they have some solid performers.
  13. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    Just watched it on iplayer. Like it...and I am not normally one for these talent shows. Jessie J is so awesome.
  14. Greg Hook

Greg Hook Moderator & Reviewer

Ratings:
    +3,273
    This was good and felt different from the other ones. I liked the banter between the judges trying to persuade the acts to join them.

I do slightly miss that it doesn't have any useless and comedy acts on it, but that's no big issue.

Also I was very disappointed in Holly Willoughbooby's poor and overdressed outfit. :)
  15. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    I didn't understand the supposed "tension" when the acts were choosing their mentors - why should we care who they chose ?
  16. Courtjezter

Courtjezter Active Member

Ratings:
    +887
    The annoying bit of the whole thing was the cut backs to the f & f in the waiting area yelling "push the button" at the screen. Especially when at least one judge had turned around. It also felt a bit forced, like they had been asked to do it. Otherwise I enjoyed it and the competition between the judges.
  17. raduv1

raduv1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +437
    I dont usually watch this type of program but the wife was watching and found myself pleasantly surprised . Being a long time hater of anyng like this .

It's about time people were judged on there ability and not looks as I hate the form of these programs going for the lowest common denominator . IE belittling people for the baying public to lap up, are our lives so worthless we have to find fun in others ?

At least this had people who really could sing and respect from real judges and not just idiots saying what viewers want to hear . As in your crap you cant sing get out of here . Are we really such a sad bunch that we feel good laughing at other people or do we need to get a life ?

Any way a welcome change in direction for me and a hope that more programs with a positive note rather than a negative we seem to crave will come along.
  18. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,318
    I think it's quite negative IMO, the judges all whore themselves out name dropping. I think the fact the judges can see each others faces even once they turnaround ensures they can make a call just by observing the other judges reactions , not on voice alone. Also half the time when they turnaround they seem to breathe a sigh of relief when they look ok.

And at least 75% of them all look totally marketable and fine anyway.

I liked the judge banter, and the quality of he acts is good but something grated on me. It feels like the concept is flawed and more of a moralistic cover story.

Oh and some of he speeches from the acts made me want to chuck.
  19. redwing

redwing Member

Ratings:
    +100
    is this what you belive this show does? im not having a go just looking for another point of view as I found it a joke.

The is all about the judges and nothing else .

They even sang at the start , as people have said constant name dropping and I thought quite the opposite they said Exactly what the viewers wanted to hear.

We know what some of them would be told in the real world of pop and they know they wouldnt get a look in im not having a go at the show for that as long as it doesnt play on that fact and to me it did.

This looks like its gonna do all the things that most people have wanted to get away from on these shows like the hard luck back story ,most of these were caberet singers at best IMO and I hope the judges do , do something good with them.
    Theres good singers all over the place and it seemed like they was picking people because they was different and not because of there voice at all.

again I dont want it to look like in knocking any of the contestants I wish them nothing but the best but this show seems very false to me.
  20. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    I'm hoping the name dropping gubbins is a one off dick waggling contest just to kick things off. If they do it each week, it will become annoying fast.
  21. denzyl

denzyl Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    just watched the 2nd show and cant believe none of them picked up the young girl singing opera and yet they,re picking (and fighting over) some drab singers especially Sir Tom who has single handedly picked 3
  22. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    I thought they made the right decision with the opera singer, was no surprise to hear she was just taking the mick, far too much vibrato disguising a lacking vocal. Not that she doesn't have potential, but Rydian a few years ago has already trodden this path with mixed success.
  23. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +7,749
    Jessie J does not have much to say apart from pulling faces and shouting pick me.
  24. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    Until she saw the hippy duo and she was all Pick Tom! :D
  25. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    Deleted the 2nd after 20mins, sick of the judges saying 'are you going?'
  26. becstah

becstah Member

Ratings:
    +4
    That's what I was questioning! :rolleyes:
  27. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    It seems the next round is a gladiators style sing off, I suppose that's one way to get rid of 20 contestants!
  28. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Tried it last week, but won't watch again, this really isn't any different ultimately to Pop Idol / X Factor for me.

I did laugh at the "Rock Singer" who seemed to have a very lofty opinion of himself, his hair was way to styled to be rock n' roll lol
  29. denzyl

denzyl Active Member

Ratings:
    +393
    I,ve just watched the sing offs (part 1) and when Ruth Brown was singing off against the girl from 5 star she absolutely wiped the floor with her Sir Tom could possibly have a chance of winning with her

30. Toasty

Toasty Active Member

Ratings:
    +995
    The battles were better than I thought they'd be, some good singers got axed last night, but I only thought Ishma was hard done by.