Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The PS Vita inpressions thread

Discussion in 'PS Vita & PSP' started by cabanatuan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. PygoShlee

PygoShlee Member

Ratings:
    +146
    Be great if Sony release a UI customization tool for us :thumbsup:

I dont have a massive problem with it, it is a bit kid friendly but it's so easy to use.
  2. tony kop77

tony kop77 Active Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Love the size of the screen, comfortable to hold and loading times have nowhere been as bad as was reported for me so far. I can't comment on the battery as I leave my charger plugged in.
    I feel I am more connected online with the vita than ps3, whole big online word and it keeps me updated with what my friends have been achieving or playing.

Everybody's Golf is superb just how I thought it would be although the fact it seems harder than the PS3 version means I can enjoy the vita version even more.

FIFA I only played the demo it's not bad only played one game I just need to get used to the controls and the fact I play it every day on a 50' plasma now have to adjust to a 5' screen.

Area 51 seems like a game I might enjoy. I dismissed it when I first saw it but having played the demo I thought it was quite good.

Loving the system, would like more depth to the menus and features etc but as a games console it's supeb and already there are at least 3 must own games despite it being out a few days.

Negative so far the stat and select button could have been raised from the console a bit more as I have to use my nails to press those two buttons. Not sure how I can top up with Vodafone without registering and near should have been simplified.
  3. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +688
    Loading times are awful IMHO
  4. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart Active Member

Ratings:
    +400
    I think load times are down to the devs - some games are slow but then EG has barely any load time at all between holes - from memory it's faster then PS3 as it should be.

Pretty sure we will see improvements in future games.
  5. humanfish

humanfish Active Member

Ratings:
    +525
    I find the load time entering apps a little annoying, especially anything PSN related.
  6. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,013
    Ok after 3 days play I'd agree with koppite in terms of the start and select buttons being raised slightly. In terms of hardware design that's my only real complaint.

The main gripe I have is the network connectivity particularly in EG. For example if your playing online or just simply in a lobby and you go to do something else network related, ie open friends list, party chat, group messaging it will disconnect you from the game and kick you back to the title screen.

So basically get any messages sent/read, and sort out party chat before you dive online otherwise it will kick you out should you attempt these.
    I took part in a tournament last night and finished quite high but at the final leaderboard I stupidly went to check a message and on my return it had disconnected and I didn't get the bonus points etc.
  7. humanfish

humanfish Active Member

Ratings:
    +525
    That's pretty inexcusable really for what is supposed to be an always connected device. It's a good device and experience on the whole, it can just feel fragmented and disjointed at times.

I'll be trying Virtua Tennuis over my phone hotspot at lunch. Fingers crossed
  8. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,013
    Yeah I know. Hopefully the game can be patched to fix this.
  9. NewMan

NewMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +849
    Had mine a day, but only really had last night to play with it. Had a quick go on WipeOut and then spent the rest of the evening on [-]crack[/-] Everybody's Golf... Seriously, that game is stupidly addictive!

I've never really owned a handheld before - the ex-wife had a Gameboy Advance SP many years ago, but that's it. I love this thing so much already, and I think I've barely scratched the surface. I'd like to see some more network love though - to be able to connect to a media server, like I can on the PS3, so I can copy video/music over my network to watch when on the go would be handy - some more love for other media formats would be gratefully received too.
  10. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,270
    Isn't the reason why it isn't always connected to the PSN as i was so save battery life?
  11. sid77

sid77 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I'll not post a lot about my first impression because most of them have been covered already in this thread.

One gripe I have is the inability to use the dpad/buttons to navigate in game. For example Wipeout you have to use the touchscreen to navigate the UI and the buttons don't work. For Marvel you have to use the dpad and buttons! Madness. The games should be designed to use BOTH. Plus there isn't any clear indication which option you do when the games boot so feels a bit fragmented.
  12. Jonstone

Jonstone Active Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Most of the issues listed here are exactly the sort of thing you expect from a new console launch.

Issues with the Ui, loading times etc, the sort of things they use early adopters to find and iron out before they make a big push for a wider audience.

The software lineup is impressive, but imo you can clearly see that some of the titles have been rushed to get them out in time for launch, lack of consistency in how to navigate menues, frame rate problems in some games, lack of online in others which should have the feature etc

I would imagine they will spend the next few months solving as many of these issues as possible before reducing the price and having a major push for sales in the run up to christmas.

Having said that even with the few problems the vita does have I am very happy with it.
  13. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +554
    Well I got my Vita this morning from amazon and absolutely love it.
    Screen is fantastic and the build of my unit is spot on.
    For some reason I only got the vita so have to wait for my game and mem card so I set everything up ready to go.
    First impressions are very good!
  14. Korum

Korum Active Member

Ratings:
    +485
    Just a quick 1st impression, I've been after a 3g Vita since Wednesday but I've been getting put off by all the issues with the screen, anyway I bit the bullet this morning and got a 3g with Rayman and 4gb card from Argos.

I've just checked it out for dead/stuck pixels, black spots on black backgrounds and white lines across the screen and I can't see a thing wrong with it, in fact I'd say the screen looks incredible far nicer that when you see it under shop lights in Game. The blacks are the best I've seen on any LED device and the colours look really vivid. I'm at work so I haven't set up the network but I've been playing around with the UI and it's great, it feels like something completely different and I just don't get the complaints about it being childish. The Vita looks and feels like a high end bit of kit and all the features they have packed into it I'd say it is well worth the asking price.
  15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Had a wifi model since launch and here are my impressions of the device over the past few days :-

- build quality - very good! Feels very solid and high end in terms of build with a flush screen and good solid feeling controls. I would prefer to side strip to be metal (like the blackberry bold 9900) but I guess this would add weight, although not much if it was aluminium. Overall though, very good

- comfort and control - again, this is a huge point for this device! The controls all work well and are very solid in use and the device is probably the most comfortable handheld I've used which is great for extended play sessions. The 3ds on the other hand does tend to become uncomfortable after a duration of play. Dual analogue sticks expand the gaming possibilities and the d-pad is one of the best I've used with a great feel and a positive click. The shoulder buttons feel great as well and although a little close to the right analogue stick the face buttons do the job well completing a pretty accomplished set of traditional controls. The touch screen is very responsive and adds a good dimension to games and the innovative rear touch pad could certainly open up some new control possibilities.

- performance - for a set of launch titles I've been very impressed with their quality with crisp, smooth and colourful visuals with no screen blur. It's as close as you will get to playing a current gen console in the palm of your hand for some time.

- UI - much criticised and it's certainly not a brilliant UI, but that said it is functional enough. There are too many steps to do things though and this is the main area I'd want to see improved.

- gaming experience - generally fantastic with great connectivity and online features (feels better connected than the ps3), delivering top quality games played via great controls. The battery life is not bad given he power of this thing with me generally getting a good 4-5 hours per charge. I've gone from not being that bothered about this to it being one of the best overall gaming experiences I've had from a device in 30+ years of gaming. It's a console which has just launched and it's not perfect, but it is about as close as you could reasonably expect and I just hope that this device succeeds because it's got a very promising future ahead of it.
  16. yok0ross

yok0ross Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Mines arrived too from Amazon this morning, the vita, 8gb card and FIFA were all packed together in a big box
    I ordered last night for next day delivery seems odd yours wasn't all together like mine
  17. Nezben

Nezben Active Member

Ratings:
    +554
    Yea I ordered last night aswell, had it delivered to my parents as I thought I was going out today. The game and mem card arrived about an hour and a half after my vita so all is good.
    Very good service from amazon, couldn't be more pleased.
  18. nil102

nil102 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Pretty much agree with all of this just need to find the right time to tell the wife its not my old PSP and how much it cost....Perhaps I won`t...Risky:rolleyes:
  19. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,013
    Yep I have to agree with cas. I've been gaming around the same amount of time and haven't had an initial gaming experience like this since the snes launch. I think I've enjoyed it more due to the fact it's portable so fits into my current lifestyle perfectly.
  20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Indee Addy, that's why I love it. With all of my other gaming I have to either plan time when I can do it etc. but with this I just pick it up and have a great gaming experience. It has taken me back to the days of the Megadrive and SNES and has really got me excited about gaming again.

A huge well done to Sony from me for this device, it's bloody brilliant!
  21. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Member

Ratings:
    +85
    That's all well and good, but what's your Vita like? ;) :laugh:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  22. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N Active Member

Ratings:
    +427
    Just Traded 3ds for a vita. Feels a lot better in the hand than the psp. Not noticed any dodgy screen,camera,pixles at all.
    Screen looks really good.
  23. Tokoloshe Man

Tokoloshe Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Had a bit of a play with my new Vita and like many others am very impressed. Feels like a quality bit of hardware, nice having the PS experience on a handheld finally. The screen is lovely and it feels right in the hands. Didn't take long to update the software and set up PSN. Only played a few games so far. Everybody's Golf and FIFA, both played really well. Still got Wipeout to try later, did download the Motorstorm RC demo which is good fun and will download the Uncharted and Rayman demos soon. So far, so good and glad I made the purchase.
  24. pbb76

pbb76 Active Member

Ratings:
    +497
    Nice one :) Look forward to seeing you on MLB soon! :thumbsup:
  25. Tokoloshe Man

Tokoloshe Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    I'll be getting it mate :)
  26. GerryH3

GerryH3 Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Add me to the list for MLB as well. Just added the Vita version to my PS3 pre-order. MLB was the main reason I decided to buy the Vita, so that I can continue a PS3 franchise on the Vita when I'm away from home. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Houghsx

Houghsx Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,693
    Had a few days of playing and im really impressed overall. The screen is gorgeous, bright and colourful.
    Gfx are impressive for a handheld device, although I hope they can improve the frame rate.
    Dual stick is 100% better than the single option.
    The launch line up has been very strong IMO, loads of good games to play, which is what its about.
    Liking the integration between the system and the playstation store etc....
    Not to keen on the interface, it would be nice if we can get themes and different icons.
    The other thing I dislike is the flap for the game card slot. Not easy if you have short nails.
    Rayman is a class act as well as Escape Plan and motorstorm. I like a fair few demos to :)
    So yes, I love it!!