Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TheyCallMeTJ, Feb 23, 2012.

1. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ Active Member

Ratings:
    +686

I saw this tonight at a preview screening at the Empire Leicester Square tonight. The director came on stage first to introduce the film, and rambled on about not wanting to sound like he is making some kind of Oscar speech, thanking Sony for the finance, and he has an almost tearful pride at the astonishing animation they have achieved and so on. Only one star of the film (actually it was just a lengthy cameo) came on next who completely energised the audience to no end...Brian Blessed. First time I have seen him live and boy is he an abundance of energy just as we know him to be on tv. But what really had me cheering is his references to Flash Gordon, as if acknowledging his iconic status of the film with much pride and so he should be. Finally, in his incredible booming voice, he orders for film to begin as if it was the opening of the 2012 Olympics.

Unfortunately, I dont think will be a film he'll be equally proud of as he is of Flash Gordon. It is funny in parts but there is a relentless pace close to that you see in the trailer that doesn't give you much time to breathe and relax with the characters. Also, I may be in a minority here but I find the constant bombardment of modern reference jokes, very tiresome. I used to enjoy that in older films and I might still do if it wasn't cranked to overload here. So I just feel numbed by it. I think much of the audience i was with were enthusiastic and laughing all the way (might be because of the remnant energy levels of Brian Blessed's introduction) so I actually feel quite jealous of them because I really do want to share that fun they are getting out of it.

The voice casting is excellent though, Hugh Grant plays the vastly under achieving Pirate Captain out to prove how great a pirate he is with abysmal results. Martin Freeman lends his signature observational acting talents (yes he can even do that through voice acting, surprisingly) as Grant's number two. But the best character by far was Imelda Staunton's Queen Victoria who gets to do more wild hilarious stuff than I have ever seen a Queen do in any movie.

What is a standout, is the claymation. The sea is obviously CGI'd but almost everything else I believe is the traditional Aardman clay animation and it is impressive. However, it would be more impressive without the 3D glasses because I actually took them off for a little while and was enjoying the sudden sweep of vibrant colours and brightness. If you enjoy 3D however, you will enjoy it as there is both depth and out of screen antics throughout but at the sacrifice of having a washed out colour pallete.

I'm giving this 6.5/10 personally as I want more subtlety, finesse and a bit more soul in the characters. This is an Aardman film but its just no where near as charming, clever and funny as the great Wallace and Gromit shorts/movie and even Chicken Run. But if you like it fast paced, and love loads of modern reference jokes (as oppose to the sprinkling of it in the W&G films) then I think you will enjoy this much more than I did.

Its definitely one to watch for despite my somewhat harsh rating but I can actually see why most of you will enjoy this a great deal more. I will even go watch it again having got an Cineworld unlimited pass and perhaps enjoy it more without the initial high expectations I had for it.

This will be released on 28th March.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Great review TJ thanks :)

When I saw a trailer for this in 3D I found it quite strange, it was almost as if the frame rate was too low. I'm not sure if this was to do with it being claymation but I really didn't like the effect, maybe I'd just been drinking too much fizzy cola.
  3. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +686
    Oh yes, actually you're right, there was a strange effect with the movement and I reckon its because of the claymation frame rate itself. It was quite jarring for a while but then I think I adjusted and forgot all about it afterwards. So dont worry its not your coke zero ;)Speaking of which, I was actually more sober than the rest of the audience as there was free rum shots at the bar and free colas all round. Damn, I'm so slow...thats why the audience was so jovial!
  4. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Media:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Free rum you say... when I twitter search #ThePirates the responses do seem quite jolly. Cheap tactics :D
  5. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,004
    Saw about 10 minutes of this during my break and I was very impressed with the 3D, hadn't seen nothing like it before except Avatar but even that was over two years ago.
  6. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Looks great. I might take the boy to see it this week. And Brian Blessed's a legend.
  7. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

It's had a lot of excellent reviews, so I think this will do very well over the Easter break/Half Term holidays. I've also been told, that it's a film that requires several viewings to see all of the jokes, as Aardman have deliberately hidden lots of jokes in the background of the image, for people to locate on DVD/Blu-Ray, which is kinda cool. :thumbsup: (Film fans - pay close attention to all written labels, book covers, and anything else with writing on it, as Aardman have said there is lots of stuff for adult audiences to discover, in the background of the film. :clap: )

I definitely want to see it, as I love Aardman, so will do so over the Easter weekend, more than likely. :)

Pooch
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  8. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +686
    I'll watch it again too. One thing I forgot to mention was a running joke with a monkey butler, this seemed to be a big hit with everyone but not quite with me because the same running joke had already been done in another animated film called A Monster in Paris which was released earlier this year (though criminally limited) which for me was far more funnier.

But anyway, my perception might change on second viewing :)
  9. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,886
    Parody on The Hunger Games

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqA74Roork]The Pirates! Band of Misfits "Hunger Games Parody" Official 2012 [1080 HD] - YouTube[/ame]
  10. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,886
  11. quarry2006

quarry2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +292
    Watched this today with my son. Brilliant film.

Monster In Paris didn't appeal to me from the trailer so I had no issues with the chimp butler - in fact, I thought he was the funniest character in it, which isn't to say that the other characters didn't make me laugh, too.

There was no rum being handed out before the movie - just as well, because I was driving - but there was a woman dressed as a pirate (or maybe she was real, I dunno) making balloon animals. Natch, the boy asked for a sword and she was happy to oblige :)

Definitely one to buy when the Blu-ray comes out and a theatrical must-see in 3D.