The official LG SL8000 LCD TV thread

I need to buy a tv very soon and i cant decide between the 42sl8500 and the new 42ld650 which is cheaper by the way. I know sl8500 is a good set, especially for gaming but i cant find anything about the 42ld650. i have about a week to decide. Pls help.

Hi there,

i have a problem regarding the screen size of DivX movies playing via the USB port.

When i play such a file the screen resolution is not full. There is a black frame around the movie. I know i can set the resolution to "Fullscreen" or "Original". When i do so, set to "Fullscreen", there is the black frame around the movie. When i set it to "Original" the movie gets even smaller and the black frame is bigger.

Is this a resolution problem of the DivX file? I have checked the file under Windows Vista and under properties the screen size is 720. Maybe this is the prob?

Maybe you all got a hint for me to get these files working fullscreen.

Thanks in advance!

GrafZahl said:
Hi there,

i have a problem regarding the screen size of DivX movies playing via the USB port.

When i play such a file the screen resolution is not full. There is a black frame around the movie. I know i can set the resolution to "Fullscreen" or "Original". When i do so, set to "Fullscreen", there is the black frame around the movie. When i set it to "Original" the movie gets even smaller and the black frame is bigger.

Is this a resolution problem of the DivX file? I have checked the file under Windows Vista and under properties the screen size is 720. Maybe this is the prob?

Maybe you all got a hint for me to get these files working fullscreen.

Thanks in advance!
Can you post the file details?

And the black frame has the same dimention on the 4 borders?

Hi.

The black frame has not the same dimension on all sides.
Its bigger on the left and right side. So it looks for me like a resolution problem with the movie file. The movie itself looks correct; i mean the ratio.

Here are the details of the file:

DivX-File / mpeg4
Picturewidth: 720
Pictureheight: 576
Bitrate: 1200 kBit/s
Wholebitrate: 1328 kBit/s
25 Frames per second
Audiobitrate: 128 kBit/s

Any idea how to get it fullscreen?

Greetings!

GrafZahl,

I converted one of my files to that specific size. The same happened.

Then I watched on my computer. The image is like on the TV. The problem is the video. I'll explain with this images (TV-yellow / video-black):

Proportion (original sizes):
exp1z.jpg

Stretched and centered:
exp3z.jpg

Same image (Video=green+orange):
exp4.jpg

The problem is that the "orange area" was added during the conversion.

Thanks alot for this!!!!!! :smashin:

I will try to convert that original DVD to another file and reply here later.
Maybe other guys have the same prob, but thanks again.

Greetings!

Hi another newbie

Have read all the pages on this thread, was initially intgent on buying an LH 5000 but am struggling to find any, however now looking at this model, what is the best price anyone can find at present.??..

Best I can find is £1028
anks
Th

Hi there,

@Nimbleblade

I had a look at amazon.co.uk, there the 37SL8000 is £720.37 and the 42SL8000 is£799.99

According the wrong video resolution of my DivX file:

Yes the problem was the wrong conversion. As BilliO stated before i added the "black bars" during it.
Converted the movie to 1920x1080 and every thing plays fine.

Greetz!

Hi, i would like to know that is there a difference in the input lag of sl8500 and sl8000 ? they seems to be a little different:
sl8000 = plastic screen / only 2 speakers /headphone plugin / ? Scanning backlight truemotion ?
sl8500 = glass screen / 4 speakers

Compare LG 42SL8000 and LG 42SL8500 TVs / Comparisons / Plasma, LCD, CRT - TVs

would be important to know since im buying this one mainly to play ps3 online fps games

seems that the sl8000 has a nice imput lag of about 10-30ms

Last edited:
It seems that sl8500 has a plastic antiglare scree,n thats the only notable difference i can see. Maybe thats because the sl8000 has too much reflexions.

It seems that sl8500 has a plastic antiglare scree,n thats the only notable difference i can see. Maybe thats because the sl8000 has too much reflexions.

The SL8500 has a glass screen, the SL8000 has a plastic one, both have anti glare stuff on them but both are reflective. The only other difference is the slight change in design, which you probably wouldn't notice unless it was pointed out to you.

Oh ok i understand now. Monarch, can you say something about the new LD650 model? Any reviews yet? Is it better than sl8500?

I haven't seen it yet, I did see the LD950 which was very good, but I mainly saw that playing 3D stuff (Avatar game) in the LG Home last week. I don't know if there are any reviews, there aren't at the places I check when I'm looking, but they should pop up soon. I can't really comment on whether it'll be better than the SL8000, but I'd say that it's likely that it is.

Howdy folks, first post here so be gentle! Picked up a 42SL8000 last October from play.com for the bargain price of £835 (strangely they're now charging £1000 - supply and demand I assume). So far I've found it to be pretty damn good, there's been the obvious slight lack of black which some of the other brands do better, but at the time the equivalent Sony's and Samsung's were a couple of hundred quid more so I wasn't going to complain. I've been running SkyHD, Xbox360 and a Sony Blu-ray into it via a Sony STR-DH800 AV receiver, and with a bit of tweaking it's performed admirably well...

...right up until today when I noticed something between the screen and the plastic coating starting to come away around the edge. It's not quite going over the screen itself yet so it's still watchable but obviously it's not ideal! Will be getting in contact with Play tomorrow and no doubt a long drawn-out battle will commence whereby I have to inform them that it is their responsibility to provide me with a replacement at no cost to me, thanks to our wonder Sale Of Goods Act 1979 :clap:

Here's a pic of the offending item:
FaultyScreen.jpg

the picture, same stuff were going on on the tv i saw in the tv shop where i went today.. i do hope the mechaniques are exactly the same inside the sl8500, ill put my opignion here about gaming playstation 3 with it as soon as i get it.. in about couple weeks :hiya:

New firmware 3.65 for SL8000<O:p></O:p>
http://www.lg.com/pl/support/product...roduct-profile<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
I've installed, but still have not found improvements<O:p></O:p></SPAN></SPAN>
<O:p> </O:p>
Any NEWS about this?<O:p></O:p>

I’ve installed, can’t see any improvements.<O:p
If I switch to terrestrial / Digital TV the CAM is not rendering the picture, does anyone have a link to the previous fw version ? <O:p

The SL8000 is now down to £729 with delivery. I am really unsure if I should order this tomorrow or wait for the Samsung LE40C750 3D TV (£300 more).

The tv is great :smashin: happy with my choise, the 42sl8500's screen is glass and i was worryed about the reflections at daytime but it works just fine, the input lag is small when i lable the hdmi input as "PC" but it greys out some options that i would like to configurate, i would like to put less colors.. when the hdmi is labeled as "normal" and i have the 200hz on i do notice an input lag that makes playing online poor, does someone know, would the input lag be low if i just keep the hdmi labeled as "normal" and put the same settings that are greyd when labeled as "pc" but just lower the colors that i think are too high for me ? or does something mecanical happen when the hdmi is on "PC" that makes it respon faster? :confused:

The tv is great :smashin: happy with my choise, the 42sl8500's screen is glass and i was worryed about the reflections at daytime but it works just fine, the input lag is small when i lable the hdmi input as "PC" but it greys out some options that i would like to configurate, i would like to put less colors.. when the hdmi is labeled as "normal" and i have the 200hz on i do notice an input lag that makes playing online poor, does someone know, would the input lag be low if i just keep the hdmi labeled as "normal" and put the same settings that are greyd when labeled as "pc" but just lower the colors that i think are too high for me ? or does something mecanical happen when the hdmi is on "PC" that makes it respon faster? :confused:

There might be a few small things which are changed when you label it 'PC' which you can't do in the menus, but it's worth looking to see if you leave it on normal, and then just turn the settings off which add to input lag like 200Hz. I'd put it in game mode though, because that has a similar aim to labelling the input as PC.

pls tell me where was your lg 32sl8000 made????in poland?

To be perfectly honest mate, its only gonna bug you if you're a cybernetic organism. Admittedly I am not an avid gamer but I still play reasonably regularly and from both the TV's I've had in the past 6 months I've noticed nothing. Used to have a Sammy 32B650 and now have the 32SL8000. and even then, as other people have said the lag is alot less on the LG anyway! :smashin:

My SL8000 is on a van, travelling to me as we speak for delivery today! :clap:

Found it for what i think is a bargain price - £699 delivered with a free glass stand and free HDMI... LG 42SL8000 42" HD Ready 1080p LCD TV ORDER NOW 0121 554 1878

Can't wait to get it set up. It'll be replacing a Toshiba 37WL66 which seems almost prehistoric by today's standards.

Howdy folks, first post here so be gentle! Picked up a 42SL8000 last October from play.com for the bargain price of £835 (strangely they're now charging £1000 - supply and demand I assume). So far I've found it to be pretty damn good, there's been the obvious slight lack of black which some of the other brands do better, but at the time the equivalent Sony's and Samsung's were a couple of hundred quid more so I wasn't going to complain. I've been running SkyHD, Xbox360 and a Sony Blu-ray into it via a Sony STR-DH800 AV receiver, and with a bit of tweaking it's performed admirably well...

...right up until today when I noticed something between the screen and the plastic coating starting to come away around the edge. It's not quite going over the screen itself yet so it's still watchable but obviously it's not ideal! Will be getting in contact with Play tomorrow and no doubt a long drawn-out battle will commence whereby I have to inform them that it is their responsibility to provide me with a replacement at no cost to me, thanks to our wonder Sale Of Goods Act 1979 :clap:

Here's a pic of the offending item:
FaultyScreen.jpg

Very thing happened to me and I am now in the process of returning the TV. And in Serbia it doesn't go that easy! I saw this on another brand new sl8000 in the shop even. It isn't just someones bad luck, it's obviously flaw in manufacturing on many sl8000!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom