The official LG SL8000 LCD TV thread

Member 300569

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Launched yesterday at IFA, here's some info on the brand new SL8000 series:
3886001429_9dda5877d1.jpg
3886011653_8b9d2f2eea.jpg

The SL8000 (Super Slim LCD TV) is a SEAMLESS Edge Full HD LCD and is certified by the Energy Saving Trust to save you money off your electricity bills.

SL8000 (32, 37, 42, 47”)
Features:
• SEAMLESS ™ Design
• Super Slim 4.5cm (42”)
• TruMotion 200Hz
• HD Ready 1080p (Full HD)
• Resolution – 1920 x 1080
• Picture Wizard
• AV Mode
• 24p Real Cinema
• Expert Mode (ISF Ready)
• Bluetooth
• USB 2.0 (JPEG / MP3 / DivX (movie) HD playback)
• Intelligent Sensor II
• Energy Saving Recommended
• Invisible Speaker

You can see more photos of the SL8000 and all the latest events and products at IFA 09 on our Flickr channel.

Also, here's Edd from LG with a thorough rundown on the product:
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nI51Rqrlsd8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nI51Rqrlsd8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

I reckon this is a beautiful set, what do you think?

H :)

Last edited:
Very cool looking set though not quite really "borderless" there still is a small black frame around it but I do appreciate the move to thin it out bezel/frame overall.

Hopefully it wont be too expensive either.

hehe, yeah i think someone at LG must have typed in EDGE into the syonyms dictionary and come up with BORDER!

It means there's no 'lumpy' edge between the LCD module and the bezel giving a smooth finish from edge to edge and when it's off i guess it does kinda look borderless.... (until you watch something on it though!!)

Gorgeous TV....... Poor Marketing! hehe ;)

Release date and pricing would be nice.:)

I went to IFA with LG and had a decent amount of time trying to work out what they meant by 'borderless' and I got to the bottom of it and it does make sense, although in a marketing way, all will be explained when I put up a post about the show.

EDIT: just to add it did look very swish, when turned on and off!

Release date and pricing would be nice.:)

Release date will be in the coming 2-3 weeks - it will sit one step above the LH7000 so i'm sure you can work it out from there. The 42LH7000 was £1199 RRP but now down to £899 in many places so i would have thought it will be positioned between these two price points (on the 42" example).

im so gonna buy this, the US site stated the price to be 2000 USD BTW.
im in loooveeeeeeee

Release date will be in the coming 2-3 weeks - it will sit one step above the LH7000 so i'm sure you can work it out from there. The 42LH7000 was £1199 RRP but now down to £899 in many places so i would have thought it will be positioned between these two price points (on the 42" example).
if this could hit the £999 price point before christmas it would sell BUCKET loads!! I LOVE this TV!! :thumbsup:

LG 42SL8000 42in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

A very positive review here for this TV. Bear in mind that Trusted Reviews is a for the masses website and are less technical and critical of items than, say, our own AVForums.
But positive is positive, and although short and shallow, the review does praise the TV's black levels and motion response (an IPS strength) and vibrant colours - common with LG panels.
It does also note that the TV is not just style over substance as has sometimes been the case with LG TV's (the Scarlet range spring to mind as does the gimmick of bluetooth on my own LG7000) or the internet widgets found on other makes of TV. Marketing gloss and nothing to do with how well a TV performs or how the model looks... When it's plugged in!
The good review here bodes well for future reviews and also for the SL9000 with it's LED edge lit technology and outrageous contrast claims.
If a CCFL backlit TV can impress with black levels, imagine what LED can do. And if we see the LH9000 or similar backlit model, I'm sure it will be stonkingly good.

Some more specs which I half inched from a thread in the LCD forum, which was probably taken from the LG website, but has been lacking here... Until now.

Specifications

Display -
Screen size (in.): 42
Display Type: LCD
Full HD (1080p): Yes
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Brightness (cd/m2): 500
Contrast Ratio: 150,000:1
TruMotion™ : Yes
Colors Reproduction (R,G,B) Bit: 10
Life Span (hr): 60,000

Video -
HDMI: 4
Aspect Ratio Correction: 8modes (16:9/Just scan/Original/4:3/14:9/Zoom/ Cinema Zoom/full wide)
Color Temperature Control: Cool/Medium/Warm
Just Scan: (HDMI/Component/RF)1080i / 1080p / 720p
24p Real Cinema (24p 5:5/2:2 Pull down): Yes
Eye Care (Anti Dazzling): Yes
Expert Mode/ ISF Ready: Yes
Picture Wizard: Yes
AV Mode (Cinema/Game/Sport): Yes
xvyCC: Yes
DTV Signal Strength: Yes

Audio -
Audio Output: 10W + 10W
Speaker System: 1 Way 2 Speakers
Dolby Digital Decoder: Yes
Surround System: SRS Trussurond
Sound Status Mode: 5 modes ( Standard/Music/Cinema/Sport/Game)
Clear Voice: Yes (Clear Voice II)

USB 2.0 -
System Upgrade: Yes
File Type: JPEG/MP3/DivX (1080p)

Special Features -
XD Engine: Yes
Intelligent Sensor: Yes
EPG(SI): 8 Days
Bluetooth: Yes
e-Manual: Yes
Energy Saving recommended: Yes
1080P Source Input: HDMI 60p/50p/30p/24p Component 60p/50p
Quick View: Yes
Parental Control: Yes
Sub Title: Yes
SimpLink (HDMI-CEC): Yes
Clock On/ Off Time: Yes
Clock Sleep Timer: Yes

Jack Pack (Side) -
AV In: 1
HDMI In: 1
USB 2.0: 1
CI slot: 1

Jack Pack (Rear) -
RF In: 1
Full Scart: 1(TV out)
Half Scart: 1(MNT/DTV Out)
Component in (Y,Pb,<acronym title="Google Page Ranking">Pr</acronym>) + Audio: 1(480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p)- 1080p : 60p/50p
Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/ Optical): 1(Optical)
HDMI/HDCP Input: Ver. 1.3 3 (480p/576p/720p/1080i/1080p) - 1 Port PC Mode
RGB In (D-sub 15pin) - PC: 1
PC Audio Input: 1
RS-232C (Control / SVC): 1(For Service & Control)
Headphone out: 1

Power -
Consumption (Typical W): 200

Weight (Kg) -
SET (w/o stand kg): 18.7
Including stand (kg): 23.7

Dimensions - WxHxD (mm) -
SET (w/o stand) (mm): 1001.2 x 623.2 x 45
Including stand (mm): 1001.2 x 688.1 x 286.5

Cabinet Description -
Front Cabinet Style: ICM
Stand style / color / Glare): Glass (Square)
Swivel (angle): Yes

LG 42SL8000 42in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

A very positive review here for this TV. Bear in mind that Trusted Reviews is a for the masses website and are less technical and critical of items than, say, our own AVForums.
But positive is positive, and although short and shallow, the review does praise the TV's black levels and motion response (an IPS strength) and vibrant colours - common with LG panels.
It does also note that the TV is not just style over substance as has sometimes been the case with LG TV's (the Scarlet range spring to mind as does the gimmick of bluetooth on my own LG7000) or the internet widgets found on other makes of TV. Marketing gloss and nothing to do with how well a TV performs or how the model looks... When it's plugged in!
The good review here bodes well for future reviews and also for the SL9000 with it's LED edge lit technology and outrageous contrast claims.
If a CCFL backlit TV can impress with black levels, imagine what LED can do. And if we see the LH9000 or similar backlit model, I'm sure it will be stonkingly good.

There weren't any grey/blue-misty blacks hidden by the bright lights then, spiffing! :D I'd like to see the comparison in black levels between this and the Sony/Samsung LCDs

The other new models too are in the website now :) I have tried to sort out the differences between the LG 47SL9000 and the LG 47SL9500 and to me the only differences seems to be in the stand, am I right ??

If not someone can tell me the difference between these tv sets ?? Thanks :)

Cheers :hiya:

Last edited:
Is there an official price for these yet? I have £900 to burn on a new TV, and i'm considering getting the Panasonic G10 (again) as its £899 in John Lewis, but if this TV or the SL9000 is any better, and around the same price, I would be tempted to buy?

Steve

It'll be more than £900 by at least a few hundred from what I can see

EDIT: SL8000 might come in fairly close, maybe around the £1k mark

EDIT 2: Tikal - the specs on the LG website for the SL9000 and SL9500 are exactly the same, even the weight and dimensions (with stand) which even puts doubt in my mind that the stand is any different! But the stand looks like the only difference, funnily enough the nicer stand is on the SL9000 not the SL9500 (I would've thought it would be the other way around because of the bigger number)

Last edited:
It'll be more than £900 by at least a few hundred from what I can see

EDIT: SL8000 might come in fairly close, maybe around the £1k mark

EDIT 2: Tikal - the specs on the LG website for the SL9000 and SL9500 are exactly the same, even the weight and dimensions (with stand) which even puts doubt in my mind that the stand is any different! But the stand looks like the only difference, funnily enough the nicer stand is on the SL9000 not the SL9500 (I would've thought it would be the other way around because of the bigger number)

It's a humdinger. At first I thought the differences might be down to 100hz as the individual pages for each TV show the SL9000 without and the SL9500 with. But another part of the LG website shows that both TV's have 100hz.
Maybe there is a slight cosmetic difference beyond the stand - bezel colour for example. It's been noted in the past for the web designers/programmers to make the odd mistake and list some TV's with certain specs that don't actually belong on those TV's

Anyway, shouldn't allthis talk of the 9000 be put into the 9000 thread? http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/1072995-official-lg-sl9000-led-tv-thread.html

Maybe there is a slight cosmetic difference beyond the stand - bezel colour for example. It's been noted in the past for the web designers/programmers to make the odd mistake and list some TV's with certain specs that don't actually belong on those TV's

I have thought the same, well I hope they will make things clearer in the near future !!

i probly have to wait till the price comes down it sells around 2000 usd over here....

I have thought the same, well I hope they will make things clearer in the near future !!

The SL9500 will be an exclusive with one of the big retailers and it offers a slightly different design on the stand and front face of the TV. The SL9000 will be available to the open market...

Technology wise - there is no differences.

Sorry it took so long getting back on this!

George

I've ordered one, it should be delivered on Saturday!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom