The LG PZ550T Plasma 3DTV Thread

Does any one else have an uneven screen? Mine seems to be getting worse. There is definitely a light patch in the bottom left corner and it seems to be spreading. The whole point of me getting a plasma was to avoid the backlight bleed effect of an LCD, but i ended up with the same effect anyway!

I have the same prob but mines isn't annoying, only about 7mm in bottom left corner, only see it when really dark and is nowhere near as bad as LCD tv I had

Does any one else have an uneven screen? Mine seems to be getting worse. There is definitely a light patch in the bottom left corner and it seems to be spreading. The whole point of me getting a plasma was to avoid the backlight bleed effect of an LCD, but i ended up with the same effect anyway!

i own the PZ250 which has the same PZ550 panel. I noticed the same problem. only when the image is completely dark.

Im just REALLY sensitive to uneven screens. Its a shame because my 50PQ3000 was fine and despite the lack of 3D and it being a 720P set i still think i prefer it. It also has a much blacker screen, the PZ550 is positively grey. Oh well, ill save for a better set next time.

Doesn't seem to have changed anything ive noticed. Not tried 3D though. Screen is still patchy and grey.

Peahead1977 said:
Hi all, I got one of these TVs last thurs, so after a couple of days I decided to calibrate. I use the i1 display 2 with chromapure software. I only done it fast and these are my settings.

Ratio just scan
Picture mode expert 1
Contrast 80
Brightness 44
Sharpness both 50
Tint 0
Dynamic contrast off
Noise reduction off
Gamma medium( sits at 2.2 til 90 ire)
Black level low
Film mode on
Color gamut wide ( my own preference)
Edge enhancer off
Color temp warm
Method 2point
Red contrast -15
Green contrast o
Blue contrast 4
Red bright o
Green bright o
Blue bright o

20 point ( only in 10 increments) will be re calibrating in 2 weeks
(rgb)
0 -2,0'-7
10 -2,0,-6
20 3,0,4
30 3,0,9
40 -1,0,10
50 0,0,3
60 -2,0,23
70 -5,0,9
80 0,0,0
90 -8,0,25
100 5,0,20

Color management system
Red color -2 tint 6
Green color -4 tint -3
Blue color -6 tint -15
Yellow color -4 tint 1
Cyan color -5 tint 1
Magneta color o tint 6

Mc Donald's Calibrations - Home

these are great settings really cannot wait for your up date, cheers for this.:smashin:

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to have changed anything ive noticed. Not tried 3D though. Screen is still patchy and grey.

Can't say I've noticed this on mine, in fact one of the best I've owned (returned Panasonic GT30 - kept switching off, Samsung D8000 - line down screen)

Its better once warmed up, but there is a distinct lighter patch in the bottom left. Its slight, but annoying to me. As for greys, if i send it a pure black signal the screen is still quite luminous, even on the minimum brightness and contrast. My old LG is much darker.
I may just have a bad unit, unfortunately its outside the 28 day return period and i doubt Currys would accept it as faulty anyway.

The panasonic GT30 we had was slightly better with regard to black level if fed a very very darkly lit scene but only very slightly, the image never had the 'pop' of the LG. But if your set is faulty and it sounds likely then it must have been like that at purchase - I'd get in touch with the shop

Last edited:
Hi, haven't been able to recalibrate, my girlfriend's mum isn't doing too well the past couple of weeks so have lent her my laptop to watch films on, when I get it back I'll post the updated settings. U still using the previous ones?

Hi, haven't been able to recalibrate, my girlfriend's mum isn't doing too well the past couple of weeks so have lent her my laptop to watch films on, when I get it back I'll post the updated settings. U still using the previous ones?

I tried your settings yesterday - very good, but what level do you have colour set to? I've left it at 50 - how about you?

These settings make primary colours look very good without being bland, but do think brightness could be a bit higher say 48-50.

All the best

Hi Geoff, the color settings are the default ones, the brightness can be adjusted to what you feel works for you, my brightness settings are for my room(normally v dark) but if you have a brighter room your settings will need tweaked a bit, hopefully that helps
Mark

Hi there, now that the clocks have gone back I've been doing some testing with your settings and overall prefer your brightness settings for most material unless the subject matter is very dark to begin with (Green Lantern BD) but I will be using your results most of the time.

Looking forward to when you get the chance to re-calibrate!

All the best

:hiya:Hi all,

I am looking to get this particular model myself soon too, and would be intrested if any of you guys have any other pros and cons about it, I do use my PS3 alot for gaming, and would like to know what you guys thought bout it for this purpose, and of course for the 3D aswell, on doing my research, i notice that it has 2D to 3D conversion, can this be applied to any 2D HD channel/programme? And can it be applied to gaming also ? And Peahead1977 would love for you to put up those settings for the games console:lease:

For the first couple of days just make sure u have reduced the brightness and contrast down to about 50 each. The pic quality is very good, a bit of image retention but goes away in an min. I play FIFA a lot and no retention probs at all. Ill post my settings for 3d for games and tv when get home. The 2d to 3d is good, better on HD sources than SD, I've even watched Jeremy Kyle in 2d to3d and even that was watchable ;-) oh and make sure u use the orbiter setting nb everytime u change from a 3d source to 2d source u need to change it

Last edited:
For 3D tv

Contrast 90
Brightness 65
Sharpness. 53
Color 70
Tint 0
Color temp c30
Dynamic contrast low
Dynamic color medium
Noise off
Gamma medium
Black low
Film mode on
Color gamut wide
Edge enhancer on

Xbox 360
Game mode
Con 66
Bright 48
Sharp 50
Color 60
Tint 0
Dynamic low
D color med
Noise off
Gamma med
Black low
Film on
Color gamut wide
Edge off

Ps3 2d

Game mode
Con 90
Bright 50
Sharp 50
Color 60
Tint 0
Color temp 0
D con off
D color off
Noise off
Gamma med
Black low
Film on
Color gamut wide
Edge on

Will post ps3 3d settings next time I have it on

Hopefully the 3D are good. I still have to change the 3D viewpoint or depth depending on the film or sports but it's easy enough to sort out when watching 3D

:)This is all very, very good information, as sometimes its best to talk to someone who actually has the item, rather than speak to a sales person that allways generalise about their product..(ahem..curries..lol) . Oh and to mention one more thing, that i havent seen in this thread is. What is the audio sound like??. Even though i will be using my 5.1 surround sound. Just for those who are intrested:)

Does your gaming picture with this tv look like this?
27102011338.jpg

27102011336.jpg

27102011332.jpg

27102011331.jpg

27102011328.jpg

27102011325.jpg

27102011329.jpg

Those edges look awfull. I have used peaheads settings.

They do look bad. I have the settings set up just for FIFA so u should prob just remove the edge enhancer setting and maybe reduce the sharpness to 40

Already done that :S Still looks like shiet! Those are close up shots, but still...in my firends sony tv it doesnt look anything like that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom