Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official LG LW550T 3D LED Thread Part 8

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RottenFox, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holbrook99

holbrook99 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Ive been watching 3d on this set over the last few nights, and im struggling with it tbh...

1. i can see two of everything (like if it was person on screen i can see a see-through version of them too, around them?

2. the above problem gets worse if not sat straight in front of tv rather than on a slight angle.

Tbh honest ive not been blown away by the 3d yet, it always blurry and strange to my eyes and not comfortable to watch
  2. djmattsims

djmattsims Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Im definitely leaning towards exchanging it. I want this TV to last me 5/6/7 years and that seems a long time to put up with the banding!!
  3. SanMig

SanMig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the different settings I've found over here and this is the best settings for me so far. Images are more detailed to my eyes.*

Setup using expert 2:

Energy Saving off

backlight 50
    contrast 86
    brightness 48
    h sharpness 100
    v sharpness 100
    colour 60
    tru motion high
    led dimming high

expert controls

dyn contrast off
    noise reduction off
    mpeg n r off
    super res on
    real cinema on
    colour standard
    edge enhancer off
    colour temp medium
    gamma 2.4
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  4. DaveRom

DaveRom Member

Ratings:
    +1

Good luck with that mate.

Ive just come off the phone with LG and they've politely told me to do one basically.

Banding is acceptable according to them.

Trading Standards time and fortunately the office is 50 yards from where i sit in work.

Im so angry :mad:
  5. Ryksa

Ryksa Member

Ratings:
    +0

Try looking with left eye closed and see if you see 2 images. Then try right closed. If on either you see two images then there is something wrong. I am assuming you have tried different glasses! Mine has a very little crosstalk when I view a static image. I see no crosstalk when watching a movie.
  6. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Prior to getting my lw550 i bought a 47ld950 passive 3d lcd tv from richer sounds, when watching 3d i found that i was almost always seeing a double image and on doing the crosstalk test found that the tv was defective... i took it back to richer sounds and as soon as they tested they agreed it was knackered! not too sure what caused the fault, would imagine it is some sort of fault with the polarised filter??

Just out of interest though what 3d content are you watching? i've downloaded a load of 3d sbs files from the net and found some are encoded the wrong way round and is very uncomfortable to watch, i then found that by pressing the q.menu button and changing the 3d view from left/right to right/left totally cured the problem.
  7. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Have you tried switching left/right in the 3D controls?
  8. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I did a search last night on Google. I typed LCD vertical horizontal banding problems and the results speak for themselves - almost no brand was immune to this issue even as far back as 3 years. It's a side-effect of the technology and I read an interesting post which explained the cause. I don't think we can get away with no banding unless we chose plasma and in all honesty had it not been the passive 3D I would have.
  9. joker18

joker18 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Problablly (99%) reversed stereo is your problem holbrook99. Sometimes in the movies you find on the web Left/Right are switched.
  10. holbrook99

holbrook99 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    switching left/right to right/left didnt make a difference....

Tried closing each eye one at a time and the image is fine, actually nicer although not 3d? open both eyes and its like it frazzles my eyes, blurry and disorientating?
  11. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It's a tricky one because some people have brains/eyes which just can't really compute 3D properly. Have you shown anyone else the tv with 3D? Also what content are you watching?
  12. holbrook99

holbrook99 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    well playing motorstorm apocolypse in 3d on the ps3 is pretty nice and quite comfortable...its watching movies on my boxee box mainly thats causing problems...

I have two 3d movies, both sbs both dowloaded..rio and ocean wonderland and although they are watchable, its just isnt that comfortable...its like its really blurry but then my eyes adjust and its semi-ok but then if i move my head or look away and then back they have to adjust again, strange sensation... It seems to be slightly better if i sit upright, and slightly higher closer to the set?

And the cross-talk as i think im right in calling it, is really annoying me.
  13. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I see, well there shouldn't be much crosstalk on passive tvs. On mine I only see it if theres a very bright object against a very dark object or vice versa. And I mostly only see it if I'm looking for it. If the Image still looks bad when looking with one eye, then you'll know its crosstalk. My advice at this point is try a 3D blu ray and see how that looks.
  14. holbrook99

holbrook99 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    yeah thats what i was thinking to be honest, try and get hold of a 3d blu and hope it blows me away, maybe they are just poor copies ive downloaded? any suggestions for best examples? (btw i love stuff that comes out to your face, rather then depth lol)
  15. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    holbrook99, is the TV at eye level?
  16. DaveRom

DaveRom Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I appreciate what your saying but there is a Sony KDL40W5500 in the other bedroom with sky hd, freeview and an xbox 360 connected to it which has none. I even swapped the tvs to different rooms and still the same result. Band free Sony and the LG just looks shocking.

I originally wanted a samsung 51D6900 and god do i wish id bought it now. This has got to be pound for pound the worst purchase i have ever made.

If banding is a side effect of the Technology then it should be advertised on the box in some form of warning.

In my view ive got something that isn't fit for purpose :(

Forgot to add the banding is getting progressively worse and soon it will be like looking through bars on a prison cell.
  17. holbrook99

holbrook99 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    yeah it is mate...

Just downloaded some 3d trailers on the ps3 store and they were MUCH better, so it must just be poor examples ive downloaded tbh...better stick to 3d-blurays (over to the classifieds i go)..

On a side note im using banie' settings for all my inputs and im not that happy with the hd picture im getting on the freeview channels sd or hd....any other "perfect" settings out there that anyone can recommend? i havnt got into the service menu yet, i need to grab one of them special remote controls first.

I do have one more issue but not sure if its the tv causing it or something else, i use the freeview hd for my general viewing but my picture keeps jerking into weird slow mo? it only last about a second or two each time, but it happens a lot, every few minutes, its really winding me up? Could it be my aerial or the tv?

Thanks for all teh replys

Paul
  18. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I'm slightly concerned about the little bits of crosstalk I can see. Playing wipeout HD in 3d I can often see the lines in the track and the lights on the side of the track having crosstalk. Quite faded but still distracting. Note i'm sitting at eye level to the screen. I have the 55inch. Does anyone else see this in wipeout as an example (I have seen it elsewhere too). Could it be a dodgy display? I can't figure it out
  19. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I've found that when gaming on ps3 i do get some crosstalk but is usually down to the 3d effect being set too high.. However careful setting up of 3d mode picture settings help and also different glasses DO make a difference! I've tried the crosstalk test with both the standard lg glasses and some real d ones from the cinema and the real d ones produced a better result by about 3-4 points... I've been trying to locate premium passive glasses online but there seems to be nothing documented about quality etc...

Also this might sound stupid but has anyone else tried bending a pair of your 3d glasses almost into a curve?? removes that horrible rear glare lol!

Might have to treat myself to a pair of these when i get paid! http://www.polaroidsunglasses.co.uk/sunglasses/3d_glasses/index.htm
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Keekee312

Keekee312 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Still unplayable for me...

Even with PC mode, AV game mode etc... Still an input lag around 60-80 ms. Could it be my set ??

PS : I have a 42"
  21. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers for that!

well i just leave the 3d viewpoint setting in the middle, as any deviation from that makes black bars on the sides of the screen and it looks a bit odd. The weird thing is i had a 47" 650t before my 55" 550t and i swear there was less crosstalk? it might be the larger screen size that's a factor? it does bug me a little but everything else on the TV is so good i.e. backlight, banding lag. that i'll just have to try and ignore it.

If you think of anything else that could reduce it, i'd be grateful to hear it :thumbsup:
  22. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Sorry maybe i didnt make what i said very clear, seem to be good at that lol.... In 99% of all ps3 games if you go into the video menu you can set the 3d intensity (more 3d = the 2 images are further apart causing it to be more difficult for your brain to put the 2 images back together causing crosstalk.. It's a bit trial and error with most games to get the perfect intesnity for 3d effect and minimal crosstalk
  23. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Ahh sorry my mistake! Yes that's a good point, I do tend to crank the 3d intensity up in game options. Although in wipeout there's no control for it. As long as its not just me seeing crosstalk here and there then I don't have to worry that I got a bad panel for 3D or anything :)
  24. djmattsims

djmattsims Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Was fiddling with the Local Dimming setting last night and cant decide if it has any effect on the banding. What does everyone else think?

I THINK having it off improves the banding but cant be certain. Would love to know other peoples opinions.
  25. mabbyb

mabbyb Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Great point, within the last 3 months I have had 5 different tv sets which have been changed because of various faults.

The Samsung le40c650 (lcd) suffered worse banding on 2 different screens than either of the lw550's I have had.
    The Samsung ue40d6530 (led) also suffered with banding. I tried a Panasonic plasma which had no banding but did have green patches & noisy fans.

I now have a 42lw550 which has slight banding but only when I look for it, but overall probably alot less than either of the Samsungs I've owned.
  26. dougmonkey

dougmonkey Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Brilliant thanks!!

I think this is the TV for me, just need to see football on it and then i'll decide.

Are Comet and Amazon the cheapest places to buy from at 649?
  27. mad steve

mad steve Member

Ratings:
    +18
    To control my banding ( which sorts makes me mad, as I should have to fiddle with settings to hide a fault), iv put eye care mode on full , now either I'm seeing things ( or not as the case maybe lol) or the banding as greatly been reduced, i can still spot it as I know where it is, but footie looks far better now. When I go back to normal view for movies etc, I just turn eye care off. Not perfect solution but it appears to work for me.

Still undecided if I'm goin to change it for the tosh tho ?
  28. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I made a decision a few minutes ago that I can't live with DSE/banding, although the former is a bigger issue for me. I have ordered the Samsung 59D6900 today and will call retailer tomorrow to uplift the LG. I'm not really happy to see the LG go because it is a very good picture most of the time, no gaming lag, stunning PQ with the right HD source but the problem with DSE is just a little too much for my liking. Plus I now get an extra 4". :)
  29. corky_croydon

corky_croydon Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I done exactly the same but went for the 51" version.

Superb 2d picture mate and good 3d. Obviously a little darker but I have created some good settings to compensate. Have a look at my previous posts.

Had a slight prob with a bright patch on the screen though but that's just a fault of my set, not the tech. Engineer coming tomorrow and may have to have a swap of sets. Def keeping this model though.

Great blacks and very little crosstalk.

30. mad steve

mad steve Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Bander how bad is your banding/dse any pics .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.