Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official LG LW550T 3D LED Thread Part 8

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RottenFox, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. connorfitz89

connorfitz89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how I find build date/month? (Does it just say a month or are you working it out from SN.)

I'm thinking of getting the 550 or 650 and might ask for a certain build when I goto shop. That's if it says on the outside of box as well as tv.

Thanks
  2. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there

On mine it has a sticker on the back of the TV saying 'January 2012 build'. Don't think it says it on the box though
  3. connorfitz89

connorfitz89 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, ill just have to cross my fingers and hope for luck to play a part.
  4. Cougar888

Cougar888 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here so thought I'd say Hi :)

I have just purchased an LG 47LW559T and I have a question. I understood there was input lag when gaming but I'm having a lot of lag watching normal TV. I'm not an expert on the settings as yet (and being a man I never read instructions) but I have tried all the options ie: Standard, Cinema, Sensor and I get the best result from the Gaming option.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing that will fix this? I updated yesterday and I think it's 05.01.10

Any help would be great
    Thanks
  5. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi again

So here's an example of the xtalk. From the game 'God of War:Ghost of Sparta' one picture is taken from left eye one from right (obviously when combined it looks even worse)

Can anyone else with a 55" advise whether this is the norm for the 55? (I know it's not with the 47")
    Thanks

image-899174510.jpg

image-1247653877.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. Fothy

Fothy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Can you explain what lag you are getting? Is it just that the sound is out of sync?

Gaming lag is where you press a button on the controller and there is a delay on it happening on screen (and someone pops up and shoots you!)

Putting your set into gaming mode disables some of the processing functions, you would be best going into the calibration thread and using someones settings as a start point and adjust them.
  7. sveintore

sveintore Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Got it, put it on a usb drive..
    Been sitting at 99% for fifteen minutes now..
    When should I pull the plug?

Edit: Pulled the plug after 20 minutes, waited for a minute and plugged it back in.
    It was finished upgrading :)
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  8. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Whoa 05.11.05 :confused: I thought its 05.10.05 :rolleyes:

I'm confused
  9. Smehead1973

Smehead1973 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone notice a bit lag playing the wii on this tellybox even in game mode?
  10. Cougar888

Cougar888 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, yeah the audio is out of sync. It's like watching a Kung Fu movie from the 70's :)
    Where do I find the thread you mentioned?
  11. RiGoRmOrTiS

RiGoRmOrTiS Member

Ratings:
    +42

depends what glasses you are using. in my TV i got a box of multi coloured ones and a box of two black ones of a slightly different shape.

the two black ones give me xtalk on bright objects; whereas the multipack of different coloured ones don't :)
  12. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hmm that is odd, I'm using the white ones from the pack but honestly there is xtalk with all of them. it should be noted its only really on high contrast images. Dark on bright background or bright on dark background. Anything with a moon seems to show xtalk for me, also with power lines/edges of buildings against the daylight sky.
  13. xWAKEYx

xWAKEYx Member

Ratings:
    +134
    i'm struggling to play adobe flash files via the Web browser on the TV, it's coming up with an adobe 9 symbol, how can I check what version I have and how do I update it please?
  14. LGFan

LGFan Member

Ratings:
    +39
    visit www.whatismyflash.com
    i think latest firmware use flashlite 3.1 (equal to full flash9)
  15. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok this is ridiculous. After the update the backlight bleed of the TV became worse and I mean extremely worse (check the attached image). Its not like that before the update. There is a small bleed but its acceptable. I guess I'm gonna have to return this TV again. (Its the 2nd one)

You can also see some banding which again not visible on the last firmware (05.01.10)

Default Settings (Game)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  16. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    isn't backlight bleed a hardware problem. I'm pretty sure software can't alter it? Are you sure it's not just that the default picture is brighter? Like the backlight setting is higher?
  17. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hurm this is weird, I tried the Standard picture mode and its a little bit darker now. However in game mode its still bright. Im thinking it has to do with the Led Local Dimming option. Its set to off on Game mode and medium on Standard Mode.
  18. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
  19. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
    If you Look back on these threads you will see that a screen with no input or the startup screen do not use any local dimming settings or contrast or brightness settings.
    The acid test is a movie with black bars top and bottom
  20. LGFan

LGFan Member

Ratings:
    +39
    i am starting to think no one solves it by returning the tv's. i had something like this as an issue just some days ago, but more in the middle , looked extreme and i used some movies with alot of blackscenes to remove it and ended up turning backlight all way down to 20 and it was gone.

today is totally different i have turned backlight up to 100, and i still just have something in the corners now, which does not look much compared to just 2-3 days ago.

whether its the algorithm they change in firmware or the fact i tried downloading local dimming firmware a few times (just available in service mode), i do not know, but facts are it is gone today.

maybe some temperature problem? when tv has been on for hours. the problem gets worse? im testing that theory now since its hardly visible now on black screens.

TRON legacy 3D. the beginning of the movie is also quite good for testing it too.
  21. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I think pressure affects it a lot, when I first lifted my onto my wall it had terrible bleed for a couple of days, but it soon faded and now it looks fine. If there's very bright spots on the side or top/bottom, a few wipes with a cloth (press fairly hard) gets rid of it! It did for me anyway :)
  22. LGFan

LGFan Member

Ratings:
    +39
    +1 that might just be it.. it is hanging on the wall and i had to move it out a few times to add HDMI cables for lag tests. and that trick might just have fixed the bleeding.

i might just put some pressure on the corners now :smashin:

which got me thinking about their 4mm OLED screen. if we get such issues with a 24mm screen, what would happen to just 4mm displays ;-)
  23. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah I thought that! fancier design sometimes leads to sacrifice in quality
  24. ZXSpeccy

ZXSpeccy Member

Ratings:
    +28
    That has to be the worst case of backlight bleed I've seen... I'd return it if you still have time. If not log a call with LG and they might give you a 3 month notice to return, meaning you can pretty much do a direct swap on release day fr a newer model.

I'm so relieved that I was able to get a refund for mine, I literally felt like a weight had been lifted after all the troubles I had.

I'm taking my time now and really grilling every tv we look t and are building the fund up every day as well. We're looking at the Philps 21:9 passive 3D tv which looks pretty good and uses LG tech.

If I were you and that was my TV I'd honesty get it returned. It's worth noting that Dave LGUK did mention on these forums that he (LG) are aware of build issues With the 2011 models, yours could perhaps fall into that category and a return would mean you can get a new model in a few weeks. Can't do any harm having that as a back up option IMO.
  25. ZXSpeccy

ZXSpeccy Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Totally agree,
    I really want LG to do it right this year. However high speculated prices floating around, bad build quality of 2011 models, and the common faults mentioned in the reviews for the new models leaves me Thinking that this year is going to be 2011 returned displays in a fancy new frock :(

I truly hope thats not the case though.
    I think there passive tech is good, but if they don't do it right, it'll be tarnished.

Hopefully others who licence the tech will do a better job with it, I know Visio, Toshiba, Philips, Tecnika and I believe Sony and Panasonic are now in talks with LG to licence the tech too... If so this is great news for us as it means manufactures with higher quality can really get the best from this impressive tech.
  26. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can confirm that by using a component av cable on the PS3, the lag is still noticeable. To be honest theres not much difference compared the lag on the HDMI. I tested it on BF3 and MW3.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  27. rlm11

rlm11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am continuing to have issues with banding, motion blur when watching all sources, light bleed and sound sync issues which keep getting passed to repairs and get calls back to try different things non of which work.

A few month after getting the tv we noticed the left bottom corner was different to the other corners which they said must have been caused due to mishandling it has never been touched and it looks like it has been moulded slightly wrong when they have been moulding the bezzel as this is the only piece affected.

Due to this they will not send an engineer out to fix the issues and are trying to say the warranty is void, when it is not related whatsover it is not cracked/chipped e.t.c and is smoothed off, really sick of them now it has been back and forth for about 5 months now! anything to get away from resolving the issue!!
  28. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
    there is nothing wrong with that tv.
    read my above post
  29. darwish2k8

darwish2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Actually there is an input, can't you see my PS3 is on. Its on HDMI 1 on Game Mode :)

P.S

I'm gonna call Amazon tomorrow and ask them for a replacement (for the 2nd time). I will specifically ask them to give me the one has a built or manufacturing date of January or February 2012 and not the ones from 2011.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  30. ZXSpeccy

ZXSpeccy Member

Ratings:
    +28
    That tv is definetly faulty. Backlight bleed (uniformity) is not normal. I returned my LG tvs (3 in total) for similar issues.

In no way is that an acceptable level of backlight bleed, it can possibly be massaged away for a short period of time, however that doesn't make it ok.

We have 3 LGtvs in the house and 2 Samsung (all led) (lg plasma was returned also) and none emit light bleed... The ones that did were returned and exchanged for ones that didn't.

If its not an issue why were they RA'd and why is not everyone experincing the issue. Google led back light uniformity and you will see that it's a side effect of led side lit panels, however it should NOT be accepted if present in such extremities as presented above.

I'd take that sucker back today!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.