The Official LG LW550T 3D LED Thread Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
RCD01 said:
Is there any way to minimise either the clouding effect or the corner bright spots? Looking at returning this one for these reasons.

Backlight bleed can be fixed by rubbing with a cloth. I had bleed in 4 corners but now have none

Last edited:
Well i was really wanting to wait for the new 2012 lg's to be released but i cannot live with the banding anymore so tomorrow morning my lw550 is going back and i'm picking up a samsung ue46d7000... I spent ages looking at both setup side by side and the samsung overall has a far superior 2d picture, the 3d is sooo clear and i didnt notice any banding or dse... Fingers crossed i dont have any issues and can finally just enjoy watching tv again lol

elhefepunk said:
Well i was really wanting to wait for the new 2012 lg's to be released but i cannot live with the banding anymore so tomorrow morning my lw550 is going back and i'm picking up a samsung ue46d7000... I spent ages looking at both setup side by side and the samsung overall has a far superior 2d picture, the 3d is sooo clear and i didnt notice any banding or dse... Fingers crossed i dont have any issues and can finally just enjoy watching tv again lol

Good luck! I was thinking of doing the same! I told LG about the xtalk on my 55" and they basically said yes it's a known issue but we don't know how to fix it so either live with it or get a refund. This is put me off LG a bit!
Would be interested to know how it turns out with the D7000 , could you report on how the xtalk is? Not too keen on the idea of active but haven't used them much so I'm intrigued how it compares after using passive.

ipabzi said:
Backlight bleed can be fixed by rubbing with a cloth. I had bleed in 4 corners but now have none

Do you not just move it about the screen, I only ask as have tried the cloth method but seem to push it from side to side

Good luck! I was thinking of doing the same! I told LG about the xtalk on my 55" and they basically said yes it's a known issue but we don't know how to fix it so either live with it or get a refund. This is put me off LG a bit!
Would be interested to know how it turns out with the D7000 , could you report on how the xtalk is? Not too keen on the idea of active but haven't used them much so I'm intrigued how it compares after using passive.

I'll report back tomorrow :thumbsup: lol.... I'm a bit concerned about going over to active but i have spent the last 3 weeks constantly pestering the staff at currys, comet and richer sounds to demo as many models as possible for a decent amount of time, which i found the samsung active has the least amount of crosstalk but most importantly is the most confortable to view for any length of time! Luckily in richer sounds they had a d7000 setup directly beside a lw550 both playing from the same bluray and this is what swung me to go for the samsung, there was sooo much fine detail in 2d hd which was washed out and blurred on the lg but on the samsung every single texture was amazingly crisp and clear! Also on viewing sky hd you really do notice the extra resolution and on 3d bluray the extra detail is amazing, i just really hope that in real world conditions at home that the samsung now lives up to my expectations (oh and i cant wait for some high res 3d gran turismo lol)... The only downside is the extra cost, but i figured that even if i wait for the new lg's that they will more than likely be more expensive than my current tv and do i really want to wait 2 months putting up with a faulty tv just to be disapointed by lg again and be more out of pocket???

Err, don't the Samsung's d8000's have the problem this year where they smear hd detail thanks to over-processing? I gather that their motion resolution is higher though, so perhaps this is what you're seeing. Good luck either way!

Err, don't the Samsung's d8000's have the problem this year where they smear hd detail thanks to over-processing? I gather that their motion resolution is higher though, so perhaps this is what you're seeing. Good luck either way!

Well i can safely say this is not what i saw! in both moving and static screens the samsung image was ALOT clearer and more detailed than the lg, having a direct side by side comparison really did show that the samsung is in a different league.. After all the hassle i've had with these lg's i have really researched this and done so many demos on each tv it has become beyond an obsession lol... I guess no matter which tv you buy there will always be a few people who are not happy or get a faulty set, however the amount of results that comes up in google for faulty 2011 LG models compared to ALL other manufacturers really does say alot!

elhefepunk said:
Well i can safely say this is not what i saw! in both moving and static screens the samsung image was ALOT clearer and more detailed than the lg, having a direct side by side comparison really did show that the samsung is in a different league.. After all the hassle i've had with these lg's i have really researched this and done so many demos on each tv it has become beyond an obsession lol... I guess no matter which tv you buy there will always be a few people who are not happy or get a faulty set, however the amount of results that comes up in google for faulty 2011 LG models compared to ALL other manufacturers really does say alot!

You're definitely making the D7000 sound very tempting! Surely because they both have the same resolution screens, you shouldn't see more detail in one than the other? I assume you checked sharpness settings etc. I may have to go to currys and have a look myself!

You're definitely making the D7000 sound very tempting! Surely because they both have the same resolution screens, you shouldn't see more detail in one than the other? I assume you checked sharpness settings etc. I may have to go to currys and have a look myself!

Yup went through the menus etc and played about a bit with sharpness etc, i just found with the samsung that you could pick out even the tiniest detail and the lg just didnt look great... For eample on toy story 3 with the samsung you could pick out all the little lumps, bumps and shading of the teture on the charaters like mr potato head and buzz lightyear but on the lg it was just a blur in comparison... Like i say unless you can do a direct side by side comparison like i did the lg still would look good in store, but when playing the same content next to the samsung you can see straight away that the samsung has a much higher quality panel!

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't get my ps3 to recognise and give me 3d options.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't get my ps3 to recognise and give me 3d options.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

You need to be using a high speed hdmi cable to get the ps3 to work properly for 3d... also turn the ps3 off and then press and hold the power button on switch on til it beeps a couple of times, the ps3 will now auto detect the tv and give you the option of setting screen size etc and then 3d options will be available..

Am I missing something?
Thanks

Yea, you must use a high speed cable, but also don't forget to go back into the ps3 settings and go to display options... Then hit "detect display modes" select "automatically" and it'll add the extra options.

I had to do this to get my ps3 to recognise my 3d tv, before I got rid of it :)

Ah cool, thanks!
I have my hdmi going from my ps3 to amp then to my tv, does that mean I'll need two high speed hdmi's?

What's the price difference between the two?

superalex said:
Ah cool, thanks!
I have my hdmi going from my ps3 to amp then to my tv, does that mean I'll need two high speed hdmi's?

Your amp needs to be 3D compatible, if not you'll need to plug the ps3 directly to the TV and use an optical cable for audio.

(snip_ I'm a bit concerned about going over to active but ...

It's a pain isn't it? I had to jump ship the other way. Sold my active LG for a passive LG and lost 2 inches as well (off the TV lol).

I wear glasses anyway but the active ones were a bit bigger than the passive ones - and weighed more. I had a fair bit of crosstalk on some movies (not all) and Sky 3D was a bit poor. I bought 3rd party glasses from xPand in the US - which helped a lot. The supplied 1 pair were gruesome.

Now having had passive for just over a month I am so pleased I went that way. Sky 3D is brilliant, the picture is brighter and the glasses are not in the way now. Watching Blu-ray I haven't noticed any drop in PQ - just happy.

Just picked this up BTW...

http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech/sony-ditch-active-shutter-3d-tvs-01-02-2012

Wonder is this will prove true?

H

i have this tv connect to sky hd. i have a denon f101 midi system connected at the moment and i find using the headphone out has a poor sound quality. i then used a scart out of the sky box to phono which made the sound realy rich but now have a delay in sound. it seems as if the delay is in the picture buy 0.25 sec or so. can any one suggest an alternative connection method. the denon only has phono inputs only, i do not want to spend money on another sound setup as the denon was in my spare room for 5 years collecting dust

thanks

ps

i had to change the tv 3 times and finally the 3rd tv has been removed from the box and no setting have needed to be adjusted, all where december 11 builds too

this set is bright and very colourful too

What's the price difference between the two?

I was very lucky and managed to get an ex demo 46d7000 which is immaculate and looks like new from a local store which cost me £980 with 4 pairs of glasses so worked out at another £130 on top of what i paid for my lw550!

Well i finished work a bit early today to get home and have a play and initial impressions with standard out of the box settings are great... Zero banding and zero dse, backlight is a hell of alot more uniform than any of the 550's i had and blacks are pure black... SD sky looks very good but HD can only be described as stunning, motion handling is a huge improvement over any lg i've owned.. PS3 in 2d is immense and 3d is well jaw dropping, the 3d on the d7000 compared to the lw550 is almost like going from ps2 graphics to ps3 graphics.. There is no more jagged edges and everything runs super smooth with no lag.. The 3d effect is also alot more convincing! Also i have noticed ZERO crosstalk on any ps3 game! I would say for 3d gaming that after using the samsung for just a couple of hours i could not go back to half resolution 3d, full hd 3d is awsome!

Sky 3d has suprised me as i'm finding the 3d more comfortable and the depth, layers and detail is much better but there is a tad more crosstalk but i think this is just down to settings as on the ps3 in game mode there was zero crosstalk..

Another positive is that aspect control is done by a single button press and there is a mode that eliminates the black borders on movies!

Going to try some 3d blurays in a min and for the first time in ages i'm excited about using 3d again!

I was very lucky and managed to get an ex demo 46d7000 which is immaculate and looks like new from a local store which cost me £980 with 4 pairs of glasses so worked out at another £130 on top of what i paid for my lw550!

Well i finished work a bit early today to get home and have a play and initial impressions with standard out of the box settings are great... Zero banding and zero dse, backlight is a hell of alot more uniform than any of the 550's i had and blacks are pure black... SD sky looks very good but HD can only be described as stunning, motion handling is a huge improvement over any lg i've owned.. PS3 in 2d is immense and 3d is well jaw dropping, the 3d on the d7000 compared to the lw550 is almost like going from ps2 graphics to ps3 graphics.. There is no more jagged edges and everything runs super smooth with no lag.. The 3d effect is also alot more convincing! Also i have noticed ZERO crosstalk on any ps3 game! I would say for 3d gaming that after using the samsung for just a couple of hours i could not go back to half resolution 3d, full hd 3d is awsome!

Sky 3d has suprised me as i'm finding the 3d more comfortable and the depth, layers and detail is much better but there is a tad more crosstalk but i think this is just down to settings as on the ps3 in game mode there was zero crosstalk..

Another positive is that aspect control is done by a single button press and there is a mode that eliminates the black borders on movies!

Going to try some 3d blurays in a min and for the first time in ages i'm excited about using 3d again!

Mate you are on the 550 thread...not the best place to post a review of your new Sammy LOL....moreover the Sammy is active...the 550 is passive...so its not even a direct comparison LOL:thumbsup:

Mate you are on the 550 thread...not the best place to post a review of your new Sammy LOL....moreover the Sammy is active...the 550 is passive...so its not even a direct comparison LOL:thumbsup:

However it is an edge lit led tv the only difference is the way it produces a 3d image but even in 2d it is in a different league! After having 3 lw550's and knowing how many other people who have had their tv's written off by lg i thought i'd give my opinion on one of the other alternatives available, you only have to look at the fact there is 8 bloody threads on this one model to realise there is a major issue here... Anyway most peoples issues with the lg is not about the 3d but it is the overall build/ screen quality and the known faults which have been brushed under the carpet, not to mention lg's terrible customer services! I did really enjoy passive 3d as it is very easy on the eyes and does create a nice 3d image, however the depth, resoltion and clarity of active is amazing.. so both technologies have their strengths but after owning both and really getting into watching movies and gaming in 3d i'm leaning more to active now! But thats just my opinion :thumbsup:

so both technologies have their strengths but after owning both and really getting into watching movies and gaming in 3d i'm leaning more to active now! But thats just my opinion :thumbsup:
after a brief encounter with active 3d glasses and samsung, i have friends avoiding the telly in the future, since they left an Avatar 3d presentation with headache and was not really happy at all with that.

I was thinking samsung plasma was a good choice, but for 3D is may look nice, but you need to be aware of physical human side effects coming with it. and thats really a bad warning.. like saying too much telly will kill your brain! too much active 3d and you got a burning headache and bad after eyes feel due to the constand flicker.

It might look good, and a dose of drug effect might work too but for the long run its definately not a nice painkiller and who knows what else it affects, when your head is also messed up.

don't make active 3d your preference, you might end up a painkiller drug addict on top of it.

elhefepunk said:
However it is an edge lit led tv the only difference is the way it produces a 3d image but even in 2d it is in a different league! After having 3 lw550's and knowing how many other people who have had their tv's written off by lg i thought i'd give my opinion on one of the other alternatives available, you only have to look at the fact there is 8 bloody threads on this one model to realise there is a major issue here... Anyway most peoples issues with the lg is not about the 3d but it is the overall build/ screen quality and the known faults which have been brushed under the carpet, not to mention lg's terrible customer services! I did really enjoy passive 3d as it is very easy on the eyes and does create a nice 3d image, however the depth, resoltion and clarity of active is amazing.. so both technologies have their strengths but after owning both and really getting into watching movies and gaming in 3d i'm leaning more to active now! But thats just my opinion :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info, I'm considering the d7000 now. One question, when I watch films I have an ambient LED backlight behind my TV, which reduces eyes strain and just looks nice. Now I've heard a light behind your tv causes a distracting flicker with active 3D... Is there any chance you could place a lamp or something behind the tv when watching 3D and tell me if you see flickering? Cheers

Thanks for all the info, I'm considering the d7000 now. One question, when I watch films I have an ambient LED backlight behind my TV, which reduces eyes strain and just looks nice. Now I've heard a light behind your tv causes a distracting flicker with active 3D... Is there any chance you could place a lamp or something behind the tv when watching 3D and tell me if you see flickering? Cheers

I've had the living room lights on and off which are the energy saving type and havent noticed any flicker... i've actually just ordered some ikea dioder strips to mount behind the tv, with the clear bezel i reckon it will look amazing! lol i'll let you know if i have any issues... From what i've heard i'm pretty sure it is mainly high wattage or florensent type lights that cause flicker so i think led would be ok especially if it is mounted behind the tv as your not looking into the light source?

after a brief encounter with active 3d glasses and samsung, i have friends avoiding the telly in the future, since they left an Avatar 3d presentation with headache and was not really happy at all with that.

I was thinking samsung plasma was a good choice, but for 3D is may look nice, but you need to be aware of physical human side effects coming with it. and thats really a bad warning.. like saying too much telly will kill your brain! too much active 3d and you got a burning headache and bad after eyes feel due to the constand flicker.

It might look good, and a dose of drug effect might work too but for the long run its definately not a nice painkiller and who knows what else it affects, when your head is also messed up.

don't make active 3d your preference, you might end up a painkiller drug addict on top of it.

I too have had bad experiences with active 3d hence why i went for passive and bought the ld950 then the lw550.. The active sets i've had to endure were the samsung 'c' series, sony led active and a samsung 2011 plasma active and all of which i hated! the samsung lcd and sony led's were awful, the IR glasses were crap and crosstalk and flicker was terrible.. The samsung plasma was much better for crosstalk but the flicker was terrible and i had to stop watching! I have been on the look out for a new tv for about a month now and i tested every model and the ONLY active sets i found to be good were the samsung d7000 and d8000, very very little crosstalk and pretty much zero flicker etc.. i've been sat here for 6 hours now playing with my new toy and have no headache or eye strain etc... In all honesty games like motorstorm and GT5 have pretty much zero crosstalk, to be honest alot less than on the lg.. not to mention that if you play alot of 3d gaming like me then you tend to forget how good games look in full hd! I'm not trying to knock the lg, i did enjoy owning it but i have been left with a bitter tast in my mouth and not to mention being out of pocket and having to take days of work to wait for replacement tv's... So far the samsung is living up to every expectation i had and more, from day one with the lg i would look at it one minutes and be amazed with the picture but then just a few moments later one of the MANY faults would become visable and ruin the experience... Not really what you want when spending £850 on something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom