Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official LG LW550T 3D LED Thread Part 8

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RottenFox, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Discussion continued from here!
  2. corky_croydon

corky_croydon Member

Ratings:
    +3
    General,

You were basically saying that as your set is ok, everyones is ok and that it's our hardware setup causing the problem.

Everyone will end up going and spending a fortune on hdmi cables and new hardware with no improvement lol.

Like many on here have said, it's a great 3d tv and a good 2d tv if you're lucky enough to get a problem free set.

I thought this thread was just full of nitpickers until I purchased mine and realised a large amount of them have genuine faults.

If I received one like yours I would not be jumping ship. I can't be bothered to play the panel lottery though. Already on my second.
    Some people are happy to live with faults on a tv, some aren't.
  3. beaker656

beaker656 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Been lurking here for months. Bought my 47" in Sept from RS and swapped it out within a week because of light bleed on bottom left corner (same week Starwars came out on bluray and the black bars top and bottom really highlighted it. RS swapped it without even checking. Big :thumbsup:.

2nd set was better for that. but had even worse banding. I've lived with it up to a point, but my lad watches football, I've been watching the skiing and it's just horrible (June 11 build).
    Called LG today and was told that before I could get an engineer visit I would have to send in some photos of the banding. Took 2 calls and 3 different people for me to put across that you can't capture an image issue that is only visible during motion panning that on a photo may look normal as it is an instant in time?? They even noted it on the system that I have refused to do this request.

Even though I'd registered both 1st & 2nd TV they had no record of my serial number, though had all my personal details. Took about stalling tactics. :mad:

Went through the merry dance of what have you got connected, which HDMI port, have you tried different HDMI leads for different inputs on different ports etc. Has it had a factory reset, has it got the latest firmware, they even baulked when I said I haven't tried freeview as I don't have an aerial on the house. Like that'd make an iota of difference.
    Was left this evening saying that it would need an engineer visit to "fix" it in the house as they can log onto different parts of the hardware and update the firmware.....:rotfl:? But they would speak to a tech tomorrow and call me back afterwards.

So fingers crossed. If it comes to parts swap in the house, it'll need a screen and main board at the least. I'm sure it'd be cheaper to swap out for new (they did ask if I had all the packaging....)

So slightly further forward,
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Fothy

Fothy Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just watched Despicable Me on 3d on my set in THX 3d mode and the quality is fantastic. 3D effects were great and added much more than just a bit of depth to the image, things really did come out of the screen.
  5. stevo

stevo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Animations look amazing in 3D dont they! Ive only seen one 'normal' movie in 3D so far which was 'Sanctum' ..Absolutely dreadfull! Not just the movie, but the 3D..for some reason my eyes just could not adjust to it.
    Best 3D movie ive seen on my 55 so far: Avatar! .. This was mindblowing, what an experiance! The last time I watched this was in 2D on my old 40" so the step up really was a treat to behold!. Disneys Xmas Carol also lookin rather nice and I caught a bit of 'Megamind' too, which was looking very very good.
    Just had a look on the Sky website and there showing Jackass 3D in a few week, cant wait for that one.. saw it in 2D and it just looks prime for 3D ! :D
  6. deanos

deanos Member

Ratings:
    +88
    They will pass it to the engineer's, they will then give you a ring and say it cant be fixed (because it cant!) , then write a report to LG and it will be written off :smashin:
  7. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That is beacuse you have recorded the banding from your sky onto your memory stick.
    The banding is LG tv + sky
    Now you have your Sharp tv with no banding -If you did your same test with a new memory stick recording from your Sharp tv I would bet that you would not see the banding on those lg tvs you tested befor.
    It may well be a hardware fault - that only shows up with sky.
    I would say that no one without sky has bandang
    The poster above - strange that he has sky and banding.
    I do agree if you have sky - banding canot be fixed.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  8. deanos

deanos Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Lol you are so funny,lg have told me its not sky its the tv,it happened on all inputs with sky box unplugged
  9. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I can confirm on mine I see this on my Xbox 360 with FIFA, and on planet earth blu ray.(only slightly though). But it's definitely not only on sky
  10. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thats because the signal was still causing the banding from the unpluged cable.:devil:

Yes but you still have sky there dont you
  11. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    No I don't use sky tv at all.
  12. shane21075

shane21075 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am told by lg that lovefilm is live as of now, can anyone confirm this?
  13. bourneyboy

bourneyboy Member

Ratings:
    +4

Yep just tried it on my LW650T and is now working.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. shane21075

shane21075 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks!
  15. corky_croydon

corky_croydon Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe I should go to war with Apple, as my grey macmini boot up screen and multi colour screensaver looks atrocious on it (banding).

Actually scratch that, it's all the BBC's fault on virgin media as they also broadcast with banding.

So does Ice Pilots and Bear Grylls.

Jeez lets get on to every computer manufacturer and TV broadcaster to fix the problems.

Whilst we're at it, lets also get onto the companies that make HDMI cables, they are definitely to blame!

:p
  16. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Gooood Goood you are embracing the dark side-- let it grow-- feel it and use it and you will become more powerfull than you can ever know.
  17. Tirral86

Tirral86 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Just been reading about the THX settings in the service menu and was wondering if the One for all Xsight Touch will work with the service menu?

Looks like a real nice remote.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  18. mad steve

mad steve Member

Ratings:
    +18
    my set is perfect baring the banding, should I swop or put up with it? That's the million doller question, only had it 6 days so have plenty of time to make my mind up.
  19. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I'm so chuffed! I've just received my 55LW550T from amazon and returned my 47LW650T to Currys.

Firstly the size makes a huge difference. It actually feels like a cinema now! Also backlight bleeding is nearly unnoticeable now. Just played MW3 and absolutely no lag an best of all had a game of FIFA and banding is gone, I can't see any now at all!

My only issue is because I sit on my bed on the floor there is crosstalk because of the viewing angle change with the big screen, on my 47" the 3D was fine from the same position, but now there's visible crosstalk unless sit up very straight. So i'll probably just get a swivel wall mount and angle it down a bit.

But yes so pleased with this TV now! I guess the poster that said 55"s have better quality control might be on to something!
  20. General Waste

General Waste Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That would be me - ive been saying it for ages and no one has been listening
  21. connect

connect Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Lovefilm is working really well on my tv. Watching terminator salvation at the moment. Really good quality considering its a live stream.
  22. corky_croydon

corky_croydon Member

Ratings:
    +3
    good to hear that about the 55"

I think the 47" must be the worse size to have out of the 3 when it comes to issues.
  23. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    After almost giving up hope i performed a factory reset today and started spending some time working out the tolerences of each setting until it had a negitive effect on the picture... currently i'm running the same setting on all inputs in both 2d and 3d and it's the best i've seen my tv perform and most importantly banding is now almost non existant again.

Give these a try and see what you think.

standard picture mode, original aspect and all hdmi inputs labelled 1-4 as standard.

energy saving off
    Backlight 35
    contrast 80
    bright 46
    sharp 55
    colour 50
    tint middle
    temp middle

dyn cont off
    dyn colour high
    white high
    skin 0
    n/r off
    s/r on
    mpeg high
    gamma medium
    black low
    eye off
    real cin on
    colour wide

trumotion depends on content for 2d on low but always on for 3d on low
    led dimming high

Very clear and detailed image on all hd, sd and 3d sources....imo much better than thx settings etc..
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Wszebor

Wszebor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For me this are the best settings i'd ever have :] Enjoy :smashin:

2D
    Energy Saving: Off
    Picture Mode: THX Cinema
    Backlight: 35
    Contrast: 89
    Brightness: 52
    H Sharpness: 50
    V Sharpness: 50
    Color: 50
    Tint: 0
    Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Noise Reduction: Off
    MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
    Super Resolution Off
    Black Level: Low
    Real Cinema: On
    Color Gamut: BT709
    Edge Enhancer Off
    Color Temp: Warm
    Gamma: 2.2
    Method: 2-Point and 10-Point
    Pattern: Outer
    2-point
    Contrast: Red -6, Green 0, Blue -34
    Brightness: Red 2, Green 0, Blue 1
    10-point
    20IRE: Red -1, Green -1, Blue 0
    30IRE: Red -1, Green 0, Blue -1
    90IRE: Red -5, Green 0, Blue 0
    100IRE: Red -9, Green 0, Blue 0
    All Others: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
    Luminance All 130

CMS settings: Color Tint

Red 0 -3
    Green -4 17
    Blue 0 0
    Yellow -17 -2
    Cyan 0 0
    Magenta 0 0

3D
    Energy Saving: Off
    Picture Mode: THX 3D
    Backlight: 65
    Contrast: 90
    Brightness: 52
    H Sharpness: 50
    V Sharpness: 50
    Color: 50
    Tint: 0
    Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Noise Reduction: Off
    Digital Noise Reduction: Off
    Black Level: Low
    Real Cinema: On (if selectable)
    Color Gamut: BT709
    Edge Enhancement: Off
    Color Temp: Warm
    Gamma: 2.2
    Method: 2-Point
    Pattern: Outer
    2-point
    Contrast: Red -8, Green -2, Blue +2
    Brightness: Red -2, Green +2, Blue -2
    CMS settings: All 0
  25. skoobz

skoobz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just got this tv last week and think its great. I dont game on it at all so lag is not an issue for me. One thing, Can some one tell me how to update the firmware over usb please. I know I have read it on this or one of the other long threads that I read thru before getting the tv but dont fancy reading them all again.

Thanks very much

Skooby
  26. beaker656

beaker656 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Finally my case has been passed to Celestica and within 10 minutes they called and explained it is a known issue with this model, LG know about it, they've had the screen manufacturers over from Poland, head guys in Korea know about it and there is nothing we can do to fix it. He did say it would probably be written off.

Called LG back to reiterate what Celestica said and guess what, they say they have to wait until the engineer has been and they've written the report. At no point did they understand the engineer will not be visiting as they've stated it's a known issue and CAN'T be fixed so no point an engineer coming out. It took 10 minutes to persuade the phone op to call Celestica directly to get them to explain it in laymans terms. Strewth give me strength....
  27. DaveRom

DaveRom Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive had the exact same problem and its now stuck with LG's head office who are to decide what to do.

Two and a half weeks later still no news :mad:

Useless.
  28. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    General Waste: please read posts on previous threads as LG confirmed they initially suspected an issue with Sky but have ruled it out. That is official.

Now that I have had my set for 2 weeks I can make an input about the set. I bought the 55" version and have THX enabled. The PQ is exceptional and the 2D is excellent as long as the source is good. I find the Sky output is better quality for the same channels as in freeview.

I have no gaming lag on BFBC2 or BF3/BLACK OPS. There is a sound synch issue using optical out - sound is delayed when playing Xbox - corrected with setting delay on the console.

I am lucky in that I have no bleed issue or ghosting. In fact the picture is simply amazing - day and night. However, I have noticed banding and DSE - ski runs, Frozen Planet & football. Once into a match if I focus on the play the banding doesn't bother me but the DSE is a major issue especially on white/light coloured backgrounds.

FYI, I have been in a few hotels recently all with 42" LG TVs and each one had banding on football.
  29. Bwlmog

Bwlmog Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, could someone please tell me what format a usb hdd needs to be for use with this TV.
  30. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    How bad is your banding and dse? I had faint banding on mine and i'm actually still waiting on the call to write off the tv but since using the settings i posted above i'm tempted to cancel an just keep this tv and not risk getting another awful one...

I have been all round comet, currys and richer sounds this week to demo just about every tv going and honestly every tv i viewed had it's own faults! samsung led's had even worse light bleed problems than any of the lw550's that i have had, sony's 3d system is headachetastic and has mojor crosstalk issues (not to mention rear mounted hdmi sockets on an led tv!), panasonic gt30 which everyone raves about looked crappy (motion was nice though) and i hate the way plasmas create an image and the horrible noise on screen, toshiba passive was nice but still had banding and no 2d-3d conversion, phillips just looked washed out and awful blacks... etc etc etc... I seriously did not find one tv that i would of been happy to exchange for my 47lw550...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.