Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official LG LM960V Smart Cinema 3D TV Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Member 300569, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    How's the xtalk though? Thats the main thing that puts me off, along with the price of glasses
  2. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Crosstalk on ps3 is almost non existant, it's weird because for all people say passive has no crosstalk i found a fair bit playing ps3 on dark and light backgrounds however on active i find it a fair bit better??(passive was better at sky 3d though).. there is still the odd bit of crosstalk when the two images are pulled very far apart which is to be expected on any current generation 3d tv.. the price of glasses for me wasnt a huge problem with samsung as i got 2 pairs with the tv and then it cost £19.99 per pair after that, the rechargable ones are pointless as for 20 normal batteries it costs £4 on ebay which is enough for 3000hrs of 3d if samsungs 150hrs figure is correct lol
  3. mad steve

mad steve Member

Ratings:
    +18
    3d gaming sucks on my lg. Saying that tho, iv watched avatar 3d on sky hd and it's by far the best example of 3d iv seen on my lg, zero xtalk clear and fine detailed image. If this is what passive 3d can produce than I'll be more than happy ..
  4. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    with crosstalk it is a combination of source material and then the 3d technology which is the cause... Avatar is a prime example of how to do 3d properly and there are very few points where the 2 images are pulled too far apart, i have watched that movie numerous time on active sets and my passives and have never seen crosstalk... then you have the low budget movies like sammy a turtles tale or shark night 3d which have had no thought put into the 3d and images are pulled to the very extremes to give huge pop out effects or silly amounts of depth and this is where crosstalk is present on most sets...

There is a very interesting programme on sky 3d with brian may exploring 3d where he talks to james cameron and someone from disney pixar about how they produce 3d films and the thought that goes into what is the focus object and keeping people immersed in the experience etc..
  5. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I read the review on the link and it seemed pretty good but couldn't see any prices
  6. Crunchie

Crunchie Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Is there an upcoming active 3D TV that compares to LG's 960V?
  7. Craiga1993

Craiga1993 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah but only the 960 has nano led instead of edgelit and judging last years models, I've read that the 980t was better than the 650/550t.
  8. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    On paper the 980t was supposed to be the nuts, but the fact it was discontinued within about 2 months of release and most being returned because of terrible backlight/ banding issues says otherwise...
  9. Craiga1993

Craiga1993 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah. I think I'm gunna wait to read the reviews before making any decisions. I don't even think I'd use 3d that much so I think it'd make more sense to judge on 2d quality first. The Samsung ES8000 and the Panasonic WT50 look amazing.
  10. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well if the LM960 turns out to be to expensive for me I will look at the cheaper models and then the 980 as the demos of the 650 I'v had have been amazing so it is a win win situation for me.
  11. Craiga1993

Craiga1993 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I wish I would be happy with a 650t but I hate that thick bezel. The new designs are amazing so I really hope the 960v turns out well :)
  12. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well you should see the bezel of my PioneerPDP435XDE top an bottom is about 70mm and the sides are nearly 90mm, so the 650 looks great to me:)
  13. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Well i thought i'd do the decent thing and "force" myself to play ps3 for 3 hours to give you some answers lmao...

Black ops- Zero noticable crosstalk

mortal kombat- zero noticable crosstalk with 3d set to max.

GT5- Zero crosstalk in game using both behind car and in front of car view, tiny bit of ghosting using in car dash view (better than on my lw550), as good as zero in replay mode.. the main test i went to on this game is the demo on the main menu where the driver walks past all the helmets as on my lw550 it was basically 2 complete images that were visable.. On the d7000 there is some slight ghosting but the image is watchable now unlike using passive.

motorstorm apocalypse- this is probably th best test for crosstalk as every single part of the foreground and background are seperated alot.. There is some very slight ghosting but i would say again alot better than on the lg and does not affect gameplay at all..

After doing all this it made me think why is sky 3d looking so much worse than on the lg when the ps3 is miles ahead in terms of quality and crosstalk so i thought out of interest i'd stick the sky hd in game mode whilst in 3d as this was the only difference between the two inputs and what do you know...... NO CROSSTALK! seems there is a software issue with the samsungs image processing on side by side/ low quality content which game mode cancels out, but even on game mode the 3d image is stunning!

Oh and despite what you might think, after 3 hours of 3d gaming my eyes have not started to bleed, i'm not convulsing on the floor, i've not had to overdose on painkillers and i've still only got 10 toes lol....
  14. mad steve

mad steve Member

Ratings:
    +18

Iv been very vocal on these forums about my issues and the number of 650 s iv had to return. Thankfully and fingers crossed iv got one now with minimal banding and more importantly no DSE ..

It's not perfect, but unless you really look for it you'll never see the banding. It also may I add have the best 3d option currently on the Market, forget about the screen Rez as that's all active as over passive, and the negatives far out way passives.

It's about comfort, viewing angle and the fact I brought 5 pairs of glasses for a fiver. Iv demoed the best active set you can buy, panasonics VT30 and to be honest I just felt the lg passive model was just better.

The panny after only 10mins was making me feel like I was goin cross eyed, I
    never got this nor have on the lg passive. But its all about opinion, saying that my friend at work got an active Sony set, and does nothing but complain about how it hurts his eyes....

Anyhow, at the moment I'm very happy ... :-D
  15. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Haha great cheers for that mate! Do you have tangled 3D? The lantern scene is a great test for xtalk
  16. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I spent weeks testing out 3d in store after all the hassle i had with my lw550's and like you i found the panasonics terrible.. lovely crisp image but the flicker was very noticable! The sony's i tested had flicker but the main issue i noticed was HUGE amounts of crosstalk and also the glasses lost sync if you even blinked in the wrong direction lol.

The samsungs (bar the plasmas as i found they flickered) were the only screens that felt confortable.. I've got to say i was very worried about trading in my lg and going for an active as like you i've got a fair few mates that have older 3d tv's and all of them said they wanted to get a passive after watching avatar on my lg, but after now having the samsung for a week and racking up countless hours of 3d viewing i'm chuffed to bits with my choice! It's all down to personal preference, hence why i think that the cinema 3d system is a great bit of technology and is definately what the industry needed to get 3dtv out to the masses... however i think for people who really love 3d and the immersion it adds to home cinema you really cannot deny that having double the resolution can only be a good thing, provided the negitive issues of flicker and eye fatigue are no longer an issue..
  17. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I did have the 3d bluray but all i've got now is it in sbs, will check that scene tomorrow though..
  18. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    What tv are you talking about?

A Samsung,,,, active 3d in the Official LG LM960V thread,:facepalm:

Are you really so worried about people talking about a passive LG tv that isn't even released yet to the point you have to continually post derisory comments about it and make pro comments about a Samsung tv that I and many other people are probably not interested in and if we are will go and look in the right section of the forum for that tv, I can only presume you either are an employee or a dedicated fan so I will have to just disregard your posts.
    This is not me being anal but I am not interested in Active 3D at all, I am only interested in passive 3D tvs, so surely unless you have something constructive good or bad about the LG LM960 what is the point?:lease:
  19. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Having now found the prices that were posted if the LG LM960V was to be the equivalent in Uk currency £2103, it's a no brainer,

but as others have posted it will more than likely be £2999 which will be to much for a lot of people.
  20. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Yes i think it probably will be around £2999. isn't this TV effectively the replacement for the 980t? which is still selling for around £2700 ish. I still think the 670t and the 760t will be worth a look :smashin:
  21. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    if you read back through my posts over the last 6 months you will see that i'm in no way a samsung emplyee or dedicated fan.. I have owned nothing but lg tv's for 5 years and buy a new tv every year to try and keep up with technology, but after being totally screwed by lg and having huge amounts of hassle with their 2011 tv's and upon being let down with promises weeks ago with prices being released i'd had enough and decided to go for another manufacturer... If you also read through my posts i do post positives about passive 3d, however i'm just expressing my experience with the pros of active also which i feel is totally justified on an open forum as alot of people use these threads when actively looking to purchase a new tv... The scaremongering of saying ALL active tv's will make your head explode and send you straight to hell seems unjustified after my experience which i think is an important point to put across? lol

Also please note i'm just answering the questions of other user who ARE interested in my opinions, if it is really bothering you so much then block my posts!:hiya:
  22. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    No not at all i found it quite amusing when the 980 thread was in full swing but in the end it became a farce because people were posting about any other tv rather than the one they should and all I can see is this one going the same way,
    As for Active 3D before either of the 3D systems were on the high street for the everyday man I had decided from the knowledge I had gained that Active was to be the one for me, but alas I cant watch it so I am only interested in Passive 3D tvs,

I can only apologise perhaps for being a little offensive in my previous post but I still feel you are slightly missing the point as the samsung is an active 3d tv and is not the LG LM960, surely your post would be better suited in the relevant thread for that tv or a general discussion thread so that people who are interested in that model of samsung or Active 3d can read about it
  23. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    lowest price I'v seen for the 980 is between £2300-£2400
  24. ipabzi

ipabzi Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah true. Although when it first came out wasn't it around the £2999 mark?
  25. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I do see your point and i'll back away from ths thread with talk of samsungs lol... i think i've sort of made my point now and the reason why i thought it was still relevent in this thread is that i have now had 6 months experience with passive 3d so can offer a decent comparison of how i have found living with both technologies... Just out of interest though before i go lol, what active systems did you demo on the highstreet and what content? I only ask as i have had very similar experiences with active in the past hence why i went for passive in the first place!
  26. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm pretty sure it was about that figure and the 47" was about £2000 or maybe a bit more?? i'm pretty much convinced that even the most basic of the 47" models with the cinema screen design will not be priced under £1000...
  27. ZXSpeccy

ZXSpeccy Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I think his comments are perfect suited here tbh as currently this tv is not out yet so we don't really have a lot to discus ... No price/release date/specs etc etc so without it this thread would be dead.

Second he was only answering questions directly asked to him by me and others who were in the same boat as elf and know each other from the threads in which we experienced problems with our LG sets and subsequently all returned them :)

I'm still unsure which model to buy, I don't care if its an LG, Samsung, Sony etc all iCard about is to not experience what I and many others experienced before with the LGs (some had 5 replacements that were all written off by LG as B.E.R)

I'm currently without a tv now due to LGs bad QC and am currently testing many TVs to ensure I buy the right one, as elf has already done more testing than me and grabbed a new one he is just keeping his mates updated with the set.. If it was **** he would steer us away from that as well, but it seems it's not a bad set.

I can concur with this as per my previous post where upon I too tested it, however my only negative was that with a large family, the passive glasses would be a ball ache for me, that said the 2D and 3D picture of the Samsung d7000 are literally leagues ahead of the LG... HOWEVER I think I am going to have to go passive due to being sensitive to flicker and large family so not only do I frequent this forum I also frequent the others to get as much feed back as possible.

I really appreciate elf, ipabzi, sheild, mad etcs feed back as it gives healthy debate, view point and consideration that we might not normally take. It's perfectly acceptable to discuss comparison models (price or quality etc) in the thread, every thread I frequent has people discussing the same things...

Your best bet is to compare the tv against its competitors to ensure you get the best deal, quality, features and look... If we don't compare how do we know if it's any good? :)

I'm now looking t the 21:9 phillips easy 3d (passive) true cinema Screen as an alternitive to my LG. I might not take it, but I'll test it, but of its not perfect, I may end up waiting to see what lg does in April... It's good have an active thread, with such great users willing to feedback Info to one another ... It should be embraced and the more we all sticks together and help each other feedback bugs, hints, tips, settings etc the better this commu it's will be....

That's just my £0.02
  28. ZXSpeccy

ZXSpeccy Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Yea, which worries me that we're not getting good "bang for buck"

If that is the case most would be better snapping up a 55" or 60" 2011 model for the same price as a 47" 2012 model...

This is why I think LG might not have the right plan this year if these prices turn out to be correct...
  29. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    The way i look at it is that Samsung got away with selling there d7000 & d8000 models for very much premium prices mainly due to the fact that looks wise they blew all the competition out of the water (however the quality inside did match the exterior looks!), i just think that now lg has made tv's with smaller bezels but with less features i.e no freesat etc that they will now think they can charge samsung prices?? I mean the spec of the lw980t apart from the shambolic localised dimming was infact worse than the d8000 but it was alot more expensive! i think lg have got it in their heads that they are now a premium brand without first proving they can deliver premium products... Innovation is only good if it is delivered in products that are fit for purpose and from my experience of the 2011 cinema 3d tv's they were not!
  30. ZXSpeccy

ZXSpeccy Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Couldn't have said it better my self. That is my view exactly. I won't pay a premium for a product that is not premium quality...

Just out of curiosity did you get a D7000 in 55" or 47"?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.