The Official LG LM960V Smart Cinema 3D TV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm but more direct competition would be another passive tv, unless of course I wanted to find out about a Samsung Active tv,

but hey I can maybe look in the relevant Samsung forum to find out about them can't I:)

Why don't we just call this forum" The anything goes Forum"

roguejackal said:
Umm but more direct competition would be another passive tv, unless of course I wanted to find out about a Samsung Active tv,

but hey I can maybe look in the relevant Samsung forum to find out about them can't I:)

Why don't we just call this forum" The anything goes Forum"

Yes sorry about the off topic-ness, just trying to gather enough info to make a decision :)
I don't really seem the harm of it though? If there wasn't the conversation about the Samsung, there probably wouldn't be any conversation here anyway as there's not much to talk about.

As soon as more info is release this thread will be a fully on topic again.

Thats ok, I just find it amusing that everyone seems to post about a totally differant make let alone model to the one the title of this thread, seemed to happen with the LG 980 last year .

No tv brand is perfect, iv have a few in my day. Sonys/Toshs/Phillips/Panasonics and now Lg. Theyve all had issues if some sort :-(.

The worst offenders have been funny enough the sammys and the lgs. All my sammys had black smearing, red pixel shifting, once spotted it was worse than any banding iv had. Don't know if it's a panel size problem as I always use to buy 37" Tvs ?

Had sammy engineers out and they said it was normal :-/.. So that led went back. My previous sammy the infamous M87 had the same issue.

My Sony had what I would call terrible clouding in the bottom right corner and unless you turned back light down to 20 (which killed the piture) was unwatchable at night, Sony engineers came out , said you guessed it " it's normal for this set" , back that tv went....

On to my tosh which was a basic LCD and to be honest apart from the black which looked grey, was probably the most issue free LCD iv ever owned and still do up stairs in my spare room.

My Phillips was the old CRT and had an aweful red strip down the side of the screen, a replacement was the same, so change that for a panasonic CRT , which had a green strip down the other side of the screen and went back lol.

Anyhow on to my latest model and after 4 or 3 replacements I think I may be happy, still not perfect and as some viable banding on footie, but atleast I may keep my lg650 this time.

Sorry for long post, but I thought I share my little history trying to buy the perfect tv, and it appears no matter which model high or low end I get... There is no such thing as an issue free tv ...

Lol rant over ;-)

Just hope that the 'Smart' label actually has relevance on this model and supports the latest flash player (or at least the ability to download it) so when we use the built in web browser we can actually watch videos on it :confused:
Surely the main point of having an internet TV is for the purpose of streaming video and therefore the support of flash player is essential? I presume the only reason you can watch Youtube is cause they have to embed Mpeg4 for mobile phone use and so the expensive top of the range set can handle it?
I love my 980T but do feel slightly cheated by the 'Smart' claim so lets hope LG sort that out for this model.

Outfoxed does your tv have banding issues

Outfoxed does your tv have banding issues

Hi mad Steve, I'm very happy with my 980 and have posted screenshots in the 980 thread. I only have very slight banding issues when watching football but that's the only time it's noticeable and can be easily solved by turning the local dimming to off for sports.
If this new flagship model has the extra dimming zones that went AWOL from the 980 then I think LG will have a winner on their hands.

What would be great would be for LG and Samsung to issue some UK specs and prices. It is well over a month since these machines were launched how long does it take them to fix the market price with Comet/Currys/John Lewis ? I know the dollar/£ exchange rate means we can only get the sub standard LG products with lower tech/LED's than the Asian/US markets but there is no excuse for the delay in telling us.

What would be great would be for LG and Samsung to issue some UK specs and prices. It is well over a month since these machines were launched how long does it take them to fix the market price with Comet/Currys/John Lewis ? I know the dollar/£ exchange rate means we can only get the sub standard LG products with lower tech/LED's than the Asian/US markets but there is no excuse for the delay in telling us.

:smashin:

This post sums up exactly how I feel, it's as if I wrote it my self... I'm glad others feel the same, makes me feel less weird :)

Hi Guys, our website will be updated with full specifications of the TV range by 1st March. For pricing you will still need to contact your retailers, as we don't sell directly we are unable to give pricing guides until it is announced by the them.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info but I have to ask about prices i'm afraid. I know what you have said above but I am dumbfounded to believe that the stores actually decide the retail price on these things......If that was the case wouldn't we see a variance of prices across the stores??? That certainly is the case in my experience of looking around. The only difference is what extras you get with the set......
I thought your TV's were almost like Apple products, in the sense that they will be the same price across all stores. If that is the case then it points to all the stores being given a guideline to the RRP of each set.?

Is this the case?

darnun said:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info but I have to ask about prices i'm afraid. I know what you have said above but I am dumbfounded to believe that the stores actually decide the retail price on these things......If that was the case wouldn't we see a variance of prices across the stores??? That certainly is the case in my experience of looking around. The only difference is what extras you get with the set......
I thought your TV's were almost like Apple products, in the sense that they will be the same price across all stores. If that is the case then it points to all the stores being given a guideline to the RRP of each set.?

Is this the case?

Yeah I need prices too! I've actually ordered a Samsung D7000 now but I need to see the prices so I know whether to cancel the Samsung.

Not announcing some kind of price is losing LG my business....If one of the 55"cinema screens are between £1500 and £1700 then I'll wait for that.

Hi Dave,

Is this the case?

Unlike Apple, we don't sell direct to the UK consumer, we use a 3rd party (Dixons, Comet, John Lewis etc..) to distribute our products, we sell our TV's to them and they sell them either at a profit (or sometimes even a loss). For that reason you are right, there not be much difference in prices across the UK retailers but certain retailers will do different deals at different times. As soon as the first retailer publishes 'their' prices in the UK then we can simply echo that. Its a very tricky 'grey' area, sorry.

Exactly the position I think most of us are in ipabzi. I am literally braced and ready to press Add to Basket right now.
I am amazed how they can show off the new OLED TV, at CES, and announce a rough price for it, yet they don't have any idea on prices as the retailers decide that?????? I honestly think it's silly that a company like LG don't have a listed RRP for their sets. Most companies have that for their products and it will always be the highest price obviously, so at least we can all work towards that or lower.
Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I have bad experiences with active, I would order a Samsung right now.
In fact, I am tempted to retry some active sets, in case it was just a bad period I was going through :)

Thanks for the reply Dave, and I do appreciate you chatting on here but I am still of the opinion that your company will have a standard list price for the new sets. Are you suggesting that LG simply have a cost price and you leave it down to the retailers to decide what the selling price is????

Dave, I appreciate your point, however there will always be an MSRP, just as there will always be a unpublished dealer price, a MAP/RPM, and a sale price somewhere in-between all that. It is on the manufacturer (in this case everyone seems to be heaping this on you as LG's forum spokesperson) to publicly issue the MSRP.

For everyone else out there, just understand that for some reason or another Dave is being restricted by his higher ups from revealing the MSRP (which I do agree sounds fishy since they can all be gotten in USD from this site). Leave him alone about pricing and just wait for release (which Adorama, a USA retailer in NYC, was told by LG warehouse would be February 25th). I would much rather he deal with our technical questions that can only be answered by the manufacturer.

While I agree somewhat with what you have written, please note Daves posts and statements that he doesnt get involved with individual technical issues as that's a customer service issue.

He has mentioned this on numerous occasions.

Therefore no technical questions to dave, no price questions to dave, stop asking about relase dates, and specs etc (as the website will do that: as per Daves statement above) levering what exactly?

If dave can't answer or get involved in any of the above, please excuse the direct nature of the following statement, but what's the point of him being here them? What exactly does/can he do?

I've already moved on as we got a 50" LG panel tv for essentially free via club card vouchers :D and although it's cheap tat, it actually performes better than our LG PZ550 THX Certifed plasma that we returned in January...

It seems many are getting tired/bored of waiting as TVs are impulse buys for many and with no Info it's leaving it hard to aim for as it's still vapourware. The 980T users (see the thread) were led up the garden path for 1 year and they got royally screwed and many are still waiting as the tv was only relased for 2 months in October (instead of the propsed match 2011h and then discontinued
Immediately which left them not wanting to buy it... And as LG are keeping us in th dark, how can we trust such a bad track record not to doit again..

While I agree somewhat with what you have written, please note Daves posts and statements that he doesnt get involved with individual technical issues as that's a customer service issue.

He has mentioned this on numerous occasions.

Therefore no technical questions to dave,
incorrect - technical questions about the range (old or new) are different to service issues?...

no price questions to dave,
correct -

stop asking about relase dates, and specs etc
incorrect - the TV's are being released in April, the OLED and UDTV will be 2H

(as the website will do that: as per Daves statement above) levering what exactly?
If dave can't answer or get involved in any of the above, please excuse the direct nature of the following statement, but what's the point of him being here them? What exactly does/can he do?
? - We pay for this forum so that our owners have a place to go that is neutral and NON LG biased, we can post information about upcoming models, get opinions of our UK consumers and allow for an LG community of owners to discuss good AND bad points about LG, products and our services. It also allows us to see what we are doing wrong and hopefully where we can learn what to change in the future. We've had a good few early indications already from AV Forums owners that have had teething issues with firmware which has been resolved as a direct result of those posts!

i'm pleased that you are ultimately happy with your new TV whatever the brand and still can only apologise for the issues you have had with the TV before.

i'm pleased that you are ultimately happy with your new TV whatever the brand and still can only apologise for the issues you have had with the TV before.

dave,
You took that first part out of context, both semantically and grammatically. I did mean technical questions regarding faults and issues with the tvs etc ...

You also said already that the new range specs are unknown to you and they will be updated on LGs website on march 1st.. If that has changed can you then therefore please tell me how many local dimming zones are availbe ln the LM960V etc ... I suspect you don't know, and therefore can't answer this technical question.

So surly no spec related questions (by definition) should be directed at you as you don't get that information (as per your own omission) as it gets relased on the website, not by you. And service/technical support questions should not be directed at you as you stated you don't get involved in individual service matters.

That was my point.
We have asked many times for specs and your consistently stated you don't get that info and we have to wait...

Second point we agree on.

Third point... It's an estimed relase date, like the 980T fiasco. That was due to launch when?... And actually launched when? ...And then what happened?...

That was directly after ces 2011?
We're trying to get dates, info so we can make an informed decsison. To ensure that 2012 is not a repeat of 2011. Simply saying April is the same as when you said march for the 980t which never launched until the end of 2011 and was discontinued immediately. Just because you say it, doesnt make it fact...

Plus AV forum threads would exist with or without LG paying for it? It's a community forum and users will complain online somewhere, there are are millions of Audio and Video forums and while I agree that its good that LG have one in here, please don't try and convince us that this is not for propaganda, sales announcements/advertising etc as well ...

Last edited:
1. LG sell the TV to currys for X and Currys sell it for Y!! simple, get over it, its always been like that!? even for the amazing Sony and Samsung!
2. its a shame that these threads always get so personal, if i was Dave i'd've given up a long time ago if he doesn't work in customer services then how/why can he answer those type of questions. i've not come across a company who deal with customer services publicly, how can that be managed succesfully? :suicide:
3. I quite Like LG, i like the fact that when you pay Audi money you GET Audi quality and not a Kia, most people on here pay Audi money and then get upset when it turns out NOT to be a Ferrari!!? if you want to pay Ferrari money and end up with an Audi.... go to Sony....

p.s. i've still got my PG6000 plasma on my wall and a 10 year old LG microwave! both still work perfectly!
(although, i've just rememberd my LG VCR chewed up my VHS copy of Live and Let Die! grrrr!)

Perhaps i'll be more useful to answer peoples questions when the TV's actually arrive? Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

I don't care about price, I wanna see how they have combatted the tech issue that was 2011s problem ...Banding. If lg sort that out, what a tv they will have :)

For me, the TruMotion juddering on my 550T needs to be fixed for me to shell out on a 960V (check out EastEnders on BBC1-HD to see what I mean).

Perhaps i'll be more useful to answer peoples questions when the TV's actually arrive? Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Hey Dave don't give up on this thread just yet. The only people who's time you're wasting here are the Samsung employees posing as potential buyers in order to trick you into revealing specs and prices ahead of time so they can report back to head office and gazump ya!!! :rotfl:
Seriously though I guess you find yourself in a lose lose situation... Reveal the specs to early (as last year) and get berated when they change despite the disclaimer or don't reveal the specs until they're confirmed and get accused of withholding information and being secretive :facepalm:
I think you'll find the majority of people appreciate your input on here however limited certain information is and as you've stated in the past it's a 2-way street with LG using this thread as a method of gaining feedback which other manufacturers still haven't cottoned onto yet, either that or they can't find anyone to volunteer to stick their head above the trenches to be shot at as you do :suicide:
Now then Dave when are LG gonna live up to their 'Smart' tv billing and include a decent flash player to make having an Internet tv worthwhile?

1. LG sell the TV to currys for X and Currys sell it for Y!! simple, get over it, its always been like that!? even for the amazing Sony and Samsung!
2. its a shame that these threads always get so personal, if i was Dave i'd've given up a long time ago if he doesn't work in customer services then how/why can he answer those type of questions. i've not come across a company who deal with customer services publicly, how can that be managed succesfully? :suicide:
3. I quite Like LG, i like the fact that when you pay Audi money you GET Audi quality and not a Kia, most people on here pay Audi money and then get upset when it turns out NOT to be a Ferrari!!? if you want to pay Ferrari money and end up with an Audi.... go to Sony....

p.s. i've still got my PG6000 plasma on my wall and a 10 year old LG microwave! both still work perfectly!
(although, i've just rememberd my LG VCR chewed up my VHS copy of Live and Let Die! grrrr!)

1: So an MSRP is not out the question. They have already provided an MSRP to US retailers. And those brands you mention have released MSRPs too.

2: Richer sounds on these forums do exactly that. They approch you, ask you to PM them, then they direct you to a personal rep who has direct contact with you and the store.

What Richer do on here is incredible and ground breaking interms of customer service. This was what I was talking in reference too as I had discussed/mentioned this to Dave in this forum after he refused to help/point a forum member to another department etc after they approached dave regarding a fault with their tv. The ironic part of tht discussion was that Dave posted a direct statement/quote stating LG had known issues with the 2011 models that were known to the media/public/press and LG themselves that they would try not to repeat this year... Yet the forum member on here was advised by LG that no such fault existed, had ever been heard of, had ever been reported to LG before??? Which then surprised me that dave didn't help out and perhaps point the guy to someone in customer service who could help.

3: I agree with what you say.... LG are currently charging prices (on some models) that is on par with Pioneer, Samsung and Sony! Where in my opinion they are not really in that league. They are mid range players not top end players and thus should charge accordingly. It's like paying Ferrari prices and getting an Audi.

I'm not trying to bash Dave or LG, I was just pointing out some minor inconsistencies in Daves comments. I wasn't doing anything to upset anyone, just pointing out some inconsistencies in what was being said. Its not an attack on dave. I've posted some flattering comments about dave, and have passed fun comments back and forth with each other :smashin:

Jut trying to get some organisation... Dave would have been better weeks ago saying I can't do anything really... I'm just a poster boy. All the info you want will be relased by head office online, check the website for further information. But he didn't, he led us to believe he would receive the information and he would post it as soon as he knows. But if he knows as soon as we do then he could have saved a lot of grief by just saying he doesn't have any remit over these areas :)

Daves alright... I mean he had a ZxSpectrum+3 with built in floppy drive for crying out loud! How bad can he be! ZXSpeccy OwNers are AWESOME! Way better than those dam commodore or Amiga kids ;)

Yea, so he might have been the rich kid on the block with a Spectrum +3 who didn't have to put up with loading screens, or copy his friends tapes or wait 45 minutes only to watch "jet set willy" "Bruce lee" or "jet pack" crash in the final 10 seconds of that loading screen :eek:

Yea, so that super fast +3 may have robbed him of some of his childhood, but deep down, i still think he's alright :love: .. But after years of watching tapes load and listen to "dddddddddddd shck" ddd shcckckckckckckckckckckc" I'm tired of waiting and my Patience has worn thin.. I want info NOW NOW NOW :) only for the same reasons he bought a spectrum +3, He didn't want to wait either, he wanted his games to Load NOW NOW NOW :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom