Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by cabanatuan, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Anyone played the first one? imho it was alot better than wow. less repetitive, better storyline and it qas focused heavily on your skills rather then how ubber your armour or your magic spells where or even what level you was.

i loved this game to death and really cant wait for the 2nd one.

enough talk and here are some screen shots. damm i love pc gaming.

All in game by the way. looks gorgeous. 480gtx is waiting anxiously :smashin::thumbsup:

Traits Overview | Guild Wars 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beta is open for Signup for 48hours -

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  2. SHARKuk

SHARKuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    I did try GW but I am STILL playing WOW. After watching some real in game footage of GW2 I think I will be staying with WOW.
  3. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +218
    Played alot of Guild Wars, if your a true fan buy the GW2 art book.
  4. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +102
    I played and still own GW1 and I'm looking forward to the sequel but I really hope they sort out the terrible navigation devices. The compass was appallingly bad, it might has well have not been there. It pointed in a rough direction and basically said "It's over there somewhere, not sure where or how far but it's in that general direction. You figure it out!". I hated that and you spent the majority of your time going down endless dead-ends, wrong-turns and walking for miles upon miles fighting the same boring old enemies (scorpions and elemental giants being respawned every 10 feet).

Plus it was pretty much impossible to play on your own after you reached a certain level. I know that the whole point of MMO's is to encourage multiplayer gaming but not everyone has a group of friends they can go out adventuring with and it was a real slog trying to find people in-game to go on a quest with you as they tended to be a much higher level than you and quite rightly didn't want to spend their time re-doing the same boring old quests over and over again just to help you out.

I know that sounds like I hated the game but I didn't. I thought it was a great game and good fun and proved that you don't have to charge a monthly fee in order to make a great game.

From the video and what I've read on the official site it looks like they're going to sort out some of the problems I had with the first game by making it solo-playable all the way through to the highest character level and the developers have said they want to make it much less of a grind going through the game which is what a lot of MMORPG's tend to be.

I just hope they sort out the wayfinding this time and I don't have to spend 2 hours walking round and round.
  5. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    gw wasnt perfect no doubt but i enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than WOW. GW had an excellent storyline and never felt like a grind fest. The fact that your ability/tactics > a chars level basicaly nailed it for me on why this game is soo much better than any MMO's out their.

a lvl 5 char could possibly defeat a lvl 10 char(max lvl is 20 i believe is difference between 5 - 10 is huge).
  6. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    Game engine looks really nice!

Shame it's an MMO... hate those. Would make a great offline RPG by the looks of it.
  7. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    GW1 could be played offline mate. well on your own.

I played it as if it was an action rpg half of the time. its an awsome single player game. great storyline and everything. Its not a proper MMO however the sequal seems like it will be but free to play!

Why do you hate mmo?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +102
    How could you play it offline and as a single-player game? It always logged on to the servers whenever I played it and while you could play the earlier parts of the game on your own and using NPC's to make up your party, you'd always reach a level (I think my char was about level 13 if I remember correctly) where it was almost impossible to continue playing on your own. You'd constantly get beat by enemies much higher level's than you and your NPC's that were in your party were always a much lower level than you.

Perhaps I just didn't have it set up right but I do remember reaching a certain level, I think where I would to have a big battle with the Charr over a bridge or something and then having to stop playing as my character wasn't experienced enough and I had no-one to play with.
  9. wardi

wardi Member

Ratings:
    +28
    SAme as you Shark, I played GW and I enjoyed it. Never found a good guild and my laptop broke so lost interested. Then started on WoW and only now (nearly 6 years on) do I not have the urge to log in all the time....I just want to play SC2 instead! :thumbsup:
  10. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    teh first expansion pakc or the 2nd inroduced this thing called "heroes" where they are NPC's that you control yourselves and they level up just as you do and have certail skills they unlock and use just like you do so this game can easily be played on your own.

You diddnt need to create a guild or team up with real human players but seeing as it is a MMO and note the last letter O ie "online" you cant really expect it to be designed proper for SP mode.

WOW sucks when you play on your own mate. these games are MP games first and foremost :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks for the info about the expansion packs. After I got stuck in the first main game I didn't buy any of the expansions as I thought there would be no point if I couldn't even complete the first part. I know that this game is primarily designed as a MP game but unfortunately I don't have any friends who play PC games and the one friend I did try the game with got sick of not being able to navigate to quests easily because of the dodgy compass and couldn't be bothered walking for miles in a circle.

I know you're supposed to make "online" friends but this isn't always as easy as it's made out to be. Some people don't want to go on low-level quests or even play with "noobs" (I hate that kind of attitude to new players) and it's hard to get a regular playing partner in a regular time slot.

Maybe I'm just rubbish at making friends lol. I'm waiting for my real "offline" friend to upgrade his PC so he'll be able to play more games with me as we used to play Hidden & Dangerous together so I know he'll be up for it. I'll just have to convince him that GW2 won't be the same slog as the first game (why don't they have horses/mounted transport in these fantasy RPG's or even a way of jumping to a place you've already discovered on the map?).
  12. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    You can jump into a place where you have been in the map. just bring up the map and click on a place you been to. the places you can jump to are basically the towns and city's.

mate i have played with lots of random people online. its easy to join in a party when your in a town/city.
  13. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
  14. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,761
    still looking forward to this game...it feels like it has been yeeaarrsss that we have been waiting for it to be released.

It is a shame that the old guildwars has now fizzled out as you walk about places that used to be teaming with people and there are hardly any now :(
  15. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Yea the first one was amazing and played it for a few years. I can't wait for the new one to come out
  16. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    This video is worth watching from start to finish. looks and sound epic. ALOT better than rift imo. it is trying to be its own game not wow or any other mmo and if they deliver this game as polished as rift. i see this game being wow's main rival

YouTube - Guild Wars 2 - Gamescon Presentation
  17. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    wow all i can say is wow!

Not world of warcraft...but wow that is good!

ha looks like such a sweet game :)
  18. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    it does doesnt it. impressive about how dynamic the world is and teh combat system is second to none. better than fallout/oblivon if im honest!

to top it all off the graphics are highly impressive
  19. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Yea as you said the game just looks very dynamic.

I like the part where you just join in where help is needed.

No creating a party, loading the map etc.

Just jump straight in.

Plus the part where you can dodge enemy attacks is pretty cool :)
  20. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    It looks very good apart from the American accents... they ruin it. RPGs should have British voices! :laugh:

What the hell is a CENTAAAAR? Cen-tore my Yankee brethren.
    :hiya:
  21. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    ha the accents are ok for me, plus I seem to remember the old GW had different accents for different races which is good.

Hurry up game!
  22. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    after some digging today mainly around the GuildWars2 Wiki page:Guild Wars 2 - Guild Wars Wiki (GWW)

here are some things that I think will help make the game become what it is hyped up to be:

Everyone in PC gaming likes some nice eye candy so this can only be a plus, the old GuildWars was very easy to run yet still had parts which looked quite good.
    :thumbsup:

Can only be a good thing.
    This is what I always want in games, I do not want to be made to feel like there is only one path to take and knowing that everyone else will be doing the same thing :( boring!
    Plus I really hate it when your player cannot jump over small things like a log or small crate, stupid!
    ...maybe this is why I like Assassin's Creed 2 so much? :)

Love these kind of things, just makes it more real for you.

Any other thoughts?
  23. PocketBunny

PocketBunny Active Member

Ratings:
    +463
    Never played the original, just know that it teased me for a while. What will be the main clincher for someone sitting on the fence like me is whether they will keep the no monthly subscription fee system.
  24. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    that is in their main FAQ and mentioned a lot around the internet mate...no fees! :)

It is the main reason for me also that I loved the first one :thumbsup:
  25. PocketBunny

Ratings:
    +463
    I didnt look into it at all :blush: I may be tempted to make my first MMO adventure when this comes in then :)
  26. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    do it mate...I feel an AVF Guild coming up! :)
  27. PocketBunny

Ratings:
    +463
    Is there a release date set yet. I cant get onto the website linked to in the OP, as my work network blocks it :mad:
  28. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    No but most expect it will be this year, Spring/Summer but I expect it to more likely be end of Summer/ Autumn.
  29. Cookie09

Cookie09 Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Can't wait to get this game, will be interesting to see how what race we choose to play effects our gaming.
  30. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I can't wait for this either but rift will easily keep me occupied before this game comes out
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.